Will we blitz trevor lawrence or sit back?

Maybe our **** blitzes from Baker will get to Trevor. He will take off running but little does he know our blitzer from 20 yards back is just getting to the LOS and tackles him for a No Gain!!!

Why do you continually put “our” in your posts when you are so obviously no Canes fan and everyone here knows it?

Advertisement
Family we have to blitz this man because if we continue to play this baker defense we will have a hard time! Manny needs to take over like he did against fsu and blitz his tail off. What you guys think?
Down and distance is key for a successful blitz, oh, and Baker sending the blitzer in from west palm doesn’t seem to work that often, especially on 3rd and long when everyone knows a Blitz is likely to happen.

Exactly Macho.

The beef I have with our defense is we take our best position group out of the game with our own strategy.

Defensive end has been our strongest unit on defense for years now. When you blitz too much and play soft coverage with ends like we got, you play the game with one hand tied behind your back. Teams that overachieve generally lean on their best players.
I'd just like to see Miami challenge them.

The alternative is staying in soft zone and allowing Lawrence to pick us apart.

Advertisement
I expect our DL to get pressure still gotta show him different looks tho....mix it up...LSU blitzed Delpit and other players from different angles to get stops...just can't let him know where it's coming from "way" before the snap everytime....gotta use disguised blitzes, delay blitzes, show blitz then back off ...mix it up period... When he gets to the league teams are gonna blitz his *** just like everybody else....the key is mixing it up in a timely manner...

Well, apparently he's got an overall passing grade of 96.6 from PFF. Blitz or not, he's a proven commodity and will score often on Saturday.

But watching the UVag game, I was pleasantly surprised by a few things on both sides of the ball:

(1) Clem$on's OL is very beatable and pretty average. They didn't get much push in the running game at all. And while they are better at pass protection, UVag still managed to get Lawrence on the ground a couple times. That OL can be beat and UVag probably should've had more sacks except that Lawrence is sneaky elusive. We should be able to exploit the OL and win up front with our DL. Hopefully this allows us to minimize the blitzing (if Baker and Diaz can help themselves) and force Lawrence into tighter windows.

(2) Their defense doesn't look special or even as good as it has in the past. UVag didn't get consistent or even solid pressure on Armstrong, and a more veteran QB like King will have time to take his shots on this D. They also had a tough time with Armstrong on QB scrambles and designed runs. King is way more athletic and dynamic at QB (and especially running the football) compared to Armstrong, so if that trend continues Clem$on could be in serious trouble trying too contain King. A good amount of passes were open in the middle and intermediate middle of the field, too, which is an area where King is especially dominant throwing the ball.

Advertisement
Family we have to blitz this man because if we continue to play this baker defense we will have a hard time! Manny needs to take over like he did against fsu and blitz his tail off. What you guys think?
Mix it up. Blitz, zone, man to man, do it all. Keep him guessing

We have to blitz. Cant afford to put our corners on an island. They wont be able to cover Clemson's receivers for 4-5 seconds. Problem is that'll open up the screens to Etienne.

We need a huge effort from our linebackers.

They'll show him a fair amount of blitzes on third down if we can get to that down. We have to get them off schedule. If they're motoring down the field with their screen/quick game then we'll never be in a position to diversify. They will be attacking our edges all day and we have to win enough downs to get to 2nd and 10.

Advertisement
We always blitz the **** out of teams. I just don't think we'll get there in time. 4 years ago that ball was out quickly, negating our pass rush.
I don't think we've blitzed that much this year. We've blitzed in specific down and distance situations not the randomness we saw last year.

I don't want to rely on the blitz against Clemson. It's a feast or famine move. Hope we choose our spots wisely.

Hopefully our D-line can get pressure on the average looking Clemson offensive line.

They'll show him a fair amount of blitzes on third down if we can get to that down. We have to get them off schedule. If they're motoring down the field with their screen/quick game then we'll never be in a position to diversify. They will be attacking our edges all day and we have to win enough downs to get to 2nd and 10.
You're right on point. That's Clemson's passing game. They make big plays from quick passes. Once they have the safties and corners creeping up to stop the short passes, they hit you over the top for a big gain or TD.

I hope we play cover 2 man under. We need our corners playing physical man coverage with the safties over top to defend the deep ball.

One key to game is if we can slow down Etienne. If our safties are making the tackles on running plays, then we're in trouble. They'll hit us with their RPO game with their WRs running past our safties who'll be looking in the backfield to stop the run. Our front 7 has to slow down their running game.

An even bigger problem is is stopping Etienne out of the backfield. If we're in man coverage, then who is going to cover him? IDK if we have anyone that can. Certainly no LB. Perhaps we play dime coverage (6 DBs) and have someone with speed spy on Etienne.

It going to be an interesting match up. I hope Manny and company come up with a really good scheme and our players execute to near perfection.

Advertisement
We have to blitz. Cant afford to put our corners on an island. They wont be able to cover Clemson's receivers for 4-5 seconds. Problem is that'll open up the screens to Etienne.

We need a huge effort from our linebackers.

He won’t have 4-5 seconds with Nesta, Phillips, Roche, and Cam chasing him.

Avoid blitzing. TL is a machine for finding the open WR when blitzing. If the front 4 can't get pressure on their own then we're hosed anyways. I would stick with the NASCAR package and have the 4 best pass rushers on the field (Rosseau would line up at DT last year ).

Advertisement
Back