Will we blitz trevor lawrence or sit back?

Advertisement
we shouldn’t blitz as much as we do given the talent we have. But if we must blitz let your players play and man up across the board and put hands on those guys outside

Baker probably knows all those stats and will still try to blitz the **** out of him. It’s just in his DNA.
Agree, being exotic is more important than being sound : and lets not forget taking our best pass rushers and sending out to cover R.B.

Probably depends on how much pressure our base gets. Blitzing such a good QB is risky since he doesn't panic and I could see him dumping it off to that below average back in space. Even though he is so below average I wouldn't mind seeing him in Dolphin colors next year.

Advertisement
Well, there are a several reasons. But when you can't put pressure on a QB, he has all day to pick you apart; which HAS happened to us several times the last few years INCLUDING this year and last year. Oh - and we have given up some decent runs in these setup as well - see UAB. We have a DL that is a strength - USE IT.

Coach Macho - don't get me wrong - you're a legit poster - but a good example is Directional Michigan last year - WE DID IT ALL **** GAME, and that wasn't a pretty game. Granted, we haven't done it as much this year, but again, when our DL is a strength, don't do it on 3rd and manageable. Fact is we have burned by the 3 man front.

Just the other day a poster referenced where we are in the country in stopping teams on 3rd down - DUMB stat so far this year. We are better on D on 3rd downs so far this year, but you still have powerhouses like Ga State ahead of us - oh and ALOT of teams aren't playing this year, or have played a game, so we are compared against an abnormal sample set.

We're all 'Canes here - but the 3 down lineman stuff is nonsense from what I have seen over the last few years to include this season. If we run, I will be more than happy to see Miami pull off some big plays with it.
If the offense is in 3rd & 6, and film review/tendencies show that the offense runs "quick game" in those scenarios, then many DC's will only rush 3 and drop the 4th rusher into an underneath zone instead. There's no point in rushing 4 if the ball is coming out in 1.5 seconds.

That's the logic behind it.

If you know the offense likes to run quick slants or hitches, you drop that 4th rusher in the slant/hitch zone instead of wasting him on rushing the passer (when he'll never get there).

Not saying I'm an advocate for it, but there's a logical reason for it.

If we don’t get pressure on him it will be a long night. That being said, it really needs to come from the front four with sprinkled in blitzes

Diaz should revert back to a traditional 4-3 base this week.
Clemson wants to keep our offense off the field.
They will try to stuff it down our throats for 4 quarters with 12 personnel.

4-3 base (Frierson replaces Steed when Clemson uses 11 personnel)

DL Roche/Silvera/Ford/Phillips
LB Steed / Jennings / McCloud
DB Blades/Bolden/Carter/Ivey

Another alternative is a 4-4:

DL Roche/Silvera/Ford/Phillips
LB Carter/Jennings/McCloud/Frierson
CB Blades/Ivey
S Bolden

Either way, I hope we're prepared for what's coming. Clemson will try to control the clock and matriculate the ball down the field on the ground until we prove we can stop them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We won't do what I'd like to see us do, cause Baker is scary as fvck.

We'll just go with the same "game plan" we had versus Louisville that gave up 34 points and 500+ yards.
"Keep everything in front of us and prevent the big play."

I say we play "fvck you" defense.
Go into the game with a "fvck you" attitude. Man them up. Press coverage. Cover-1 and Cover-3 (with press-bail) as a change-up.
Force their WR's to beat us and force this kid to make accurate throws.

Man coverage leaves you susceptible to QB scrambles, but we'd have a free LB not covering anybody that can be used to spy/delay blitz.
You can blitz 6 from Cover-1 or you can rush 4 and use the LB's to rob the middle. Then you switch it up to Cover-3 (bail), which looks exactly like Cover-1-Man. And have Brooks in the game because he's more equipped to cover the RB out of the backfield.

Force them to make that deep throw down the sidelines. To my knowledge their outside WR's don't run that well.
Cause if we sit in OUR STYLE of zone (which is a loose spot-drop technique) he's gonna eat us alive. Yall remember last time we played them and Bryant started the game like 17-17 passing.

CHALLENGE THESE MF'ERS!
I’m with you coach. I remember watching the 30 for 30 about Jim Valvano and that nc State team. Every media outlet and every expert was predicting that NC State was going to try to slow down the game try to burn off some clock in order to slow down the opponent. During the press conference they kept asking him if that’s what he was going to do and I think he said that they would have to do something to try to slow the other team down.

In the locker room he basically said “they want me to slow the ball down?! They want me to hold onto the bar, they want me to ask you guys to hold the ball?!!”

No way in **** if I’m coaching Phillips and roache and nesta and I’m saying sit back cause I’m scared of sunshine.

I would be embarrassed to look at JP and ask him to sit back. We recruiters these dudes to feast and now I’m asking them to slow down??!
mom gonna ask a Blades legacy to play off the line and not press the of these guys??!!!!

I’m still upset at the way we played UF. Watching Garvin sit back to contain taco. We should’ve been running after Him that game..

Trevor is probably the best QB prospect in the last 20 years, so of course, he is going to have good numbers against the blitz.
No, Andrew Luck was a better prospect coming out. He literally didn’t have a flaw until he met Jim Irsay. Trevor can be a little wild with his ball placement.

If the offense is in 3rd & 6, and film review/tendencies show that the offense runs "quick game" in those scenarios, then many DC's will only rush 3 and drop the 4th rusher into an underneath zone instead. There's no point in rushing 4 if the ball is coming out in 1.5 seconds.

That's the logic behind it.

If you know the offense likes to run quick slants or hitches, you drop that 4th rusher in the slant/hitch zone instead of wasting him on rushing the passer (when he'll never get there).

Not saying I'm an advocate for it, but there's a logical reason for it.
There is a reason, I agree, but RECENT history of this program running such defense proves to be unfriendly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back