Will We Beat A&M?

Will we beat Texas A&M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
Our guys played Bama last season with Manny's ****-poor tackling, a QB that wasn't a vertical threat and a very weak running game.

We'll have the more talented QB when we face aTm and a more physical football team in the trenches than we had against Alabama. Most importantly, Manny Diaz is no longer associated with our program and multiple defensive staffers have either worked with or beaten Nick Saban before..

To sit here in early August and not believe we can compete with aTm is pathetic. If we play defense up to our talent-level and consistently convert 3rd & short we'll be in every game.

Well said.
But. I. Won't. Say. We. Win. Because. I. Don't. Want. To. Be. Called. Homer. Plus. I. Am. Still. Traumatized. By. Manny's. Slip. And. Slide.
Signed.
CIS posters.

Last edited:
Let's get some honest opinions here.
This will be first real game for Max in 2022 and he has been prone to INT's in big games. He is a 56%-58% completion QB in the tougher LSU games. Was 67% vs Louisiana Monroe and 56% against UCLA. If UM can get pressure on Max ... and the DB's are good in coverage ... AND limit the run game ... UM can limit their scoring and that gives TVD, the TE's, and Citizen a good shot at the upset.

You know who you are: please amend your votes. We're not wagering. The players read this.

Let the doubt be fuel for the gas tank. Past few years, it hasnt gone well when people predicted an upset. The common thing I saw in those games- whether it be Clemson or Bama- is that the moment was too big for UM players. Our guys confused aggressiveness with good football and started off games like their hair was on fire, and then actually played like their hair was on fire - specifically running themselves out of plays, bad angles and overpursuit, lack of patience for plays to develop, stupid false start and offsides. Opponents toyed with UM. They knew it was simple to fool the UM players because of our undisplined aggressiveness.

If there is one thing that Cristobal can do to improve the chances, it's pull the reigns a bit to start games. The problem isn't so much that TAMU will score points, it's how they score points. My worry is UM will start the game playing dumb (as has been the trend) and let TAMU jump out to a 14 point lead 5 minutes into the first quarter. If they score 14 in the first but it's takes them 7-8 minutes and 20 plays each time, I can live with that and we will still have an opportunity to make it a game if the D settles in for the other 3 quarters.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Texas A&M had a pretty balanced offense last season:

-Total plays 788
-Passing plays 370 (47%) for 2503 yards 19 TD's and 13 Ints.
-Rushing plays 418 (53%) for 2196 yards and 17 TD's.

They want to improve their passing game and are hoping Max can be that guy. UM needs to stop the run ... and hoping the elite DB's can get some turnovers. UM has a solid chance ... and most "pundits" have put A&M as the 54% favorite .... not overwhelming at all.

Last edited:
Texas A&M had a pretty balanced offense last season:

-Total plays 788
-Passing plays 370 (47%) for 2503 yards 19 TD's and 13 Ints.
-Rushing plays 418 (57%) for 2196 yards and 17 TD's.

They want to improve their passing game and are hoping Max can be that guy. UM needs to stop the run ... and hoping the elite DB's can get some turnovers. UM has a solid chance ... and most "pundits" have put A&M as the 54% favorite .... not overwhelming at all.
That's a super efficient offense. They run 104% plays.

Jumbo ain’t putting no 30 points on Steele. We score 27+ we win this game imo.

We have watched the better QB win important games in CFB for the last 15 years. We now have the better QB and it ain’t close. We have the best OL coaches in the country to preach and teach to protect him. Sack up pvssies. It’s gonna be biblical.

Advertisement
Jumbo ain’t putting no 30 points on Steele. We score 27+ we win this game imo.

We have watched the better QB win important games in CFB for the last 15 years. We now have the better QB and it ain’t close. We have the best OL coaches in the country to preach and teach to protect him. Sack up pvssies. It’s gonna be biblical.
This is the game I want to see TVD dominate if he is the guy everyone says he is.. He needs to be best player on field on the road.. Not for 1 qtr when we down 20 points, or need to throw every play.. Not for a half.. he needs to be impact player from start.. He wants to be 1st round pick, elevate the play of everyone around him..

Or else he is just next in line of hype.. He is THE GUY all offseason, this is where I want to see him prove it

This is the game I want to see TVD dominate if he is the guy everyone says he is.. He needs to be best player on field on the road.. Not for 1 qtr when we down 20 points, or need to throw every play.. Not for a half.. he needs to be impact player from start.. He wants to be 1st round pick, elevate the play of everyone around him..

Or else he is just next in line of hype.. He is THE GUY all offseason, this is where I want to see him prove it
Well if history is any indication ... he will. He called a couple of games and the game day hosts dogged him when he did it ... then after he won ... they said "**** ... he backed it up ... played lights out".

Advertisement
Some self scouting notes from TAMU 247 board prior to their scrimmage:

- Devon Achane is the unquestioned starter at running back and Amari Daniels looks like that he is the backup due to his burst, balance, and vision. He just runs where they aren’t and even when he gets hit he doesn’t take full on blows. LJ Johnson looked better at times on Sunday than he has in the past and he is a physical guy. Le’Veon Moss has a good frame and he is going to be more and more of a factor as the season goes on.

- Evan Stewart…you can’t press him. You can’t turn with him. He somehow sees the ball coming even when his line of vision is obscured. I said this yesterday but his is the first name that anyone mentions when you ask them how things are going in general. He’s the type of receiver that gives a quarterback confidence that he can make any catch as long as the throw is in his vicinity.

- Noah Thomas is physical and long. He is going to garner increasing amounts of playing time as he gains more understanding of the offense.

- People also think that Yulkeith Brown is going to have a good season operating out of the slot when he’s in there for Ainias Smith. The younger guys are getting a lot of reps because of their talent and everyone knows that if the passing game is going to get getter the talent needs to be out on the field.

- Donovan Green has a better understanding of the offense than the other freshman and offers more in terms of his blocking which is why he saw more time with the ones on Sunday than the other two newcomers at his position. He is good receiver as well as evidenced by his diving catch on Sunday. However, he’ll have to continue to improve because it’s not going to be a position that is static in terms of personnel usage.

- People have confidence in Max Wright and Blake Smith is working on improving his blocking but it will be interesting to see how the freshmen progress.

- The right side of the offensive line is pretty much set with Reuben Fatheree and Layden Robinson. The left side is more in flux. If Jordan Spasojevic-Moko stays healthy it’s going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup. People have nothing but good things to say about Trey Zuhn. However, he’s missed some time early on in camp which has opened the door for Aki Ogunbiyi to garner more playing time. He’s gotten bigger and has reportedly had good snaps at the tackle spot in Zuhn’s absence during practices. He struggled more on Sunday because he was moved inside for the first time all fall due to Moko’s absence.

TAMU 247 self scout on their QBs going into their first camp scrimmage this weekend:

Haynes King: He is a much better quarterback this year than he was at this time last year or even in the spring. He looks and acts someone who’s had three years on a college campus and understands the system that’s in place. His confidence level in himself appears to be higher and his teammates appear to respond to that.

He grasps the offense to the extent that he is delivering the ball at times before the receivers come out of their breaks (he hit frosh tight end Jake Johnson in the back of the helmet with one throw when Johnson should have turned around). This is a really important point in his favor.

As a passer on Sunday, he had more velocity and air on his throws to the boundary. His arm seems stronger and his footwork and rotation are more optimal in terms of getting the ball to where it needs to be. The difference between him and Max Johnson throwing the ball is not nearly as pronounced as it was in the spring or from what we understand earlier in the summer.

His teammates have confidence in him due to his knowledge of the offense and the fact that he will give them a chance to make a play on the ball. This does mean that he will put it into really tight windows or make throws into traffic.

King gives Jimbo Fisher the opportunity to use every tool in his playbook. He can check into running plays and call the protections due to his knowledge of the system. That’s important to this staff and Fisher as a play caller and always has been. It played a large role in Kellen Mond winning the starting job in 2018 over Nick Starkel even though Starkel was a better pure passer.

Johnson doesn’t know the offense as well…it’s not due to a lack of intelligence, it’s the fact that he has only a few months in the system.

Johnson and King tend to put some air on their throws to the boundary no matter the route (especially on check down throws) and Conner Weigman throws ropes on those types of passes. The ball gets there quicker with a flatter trajectory. However, he is not ready right now from a knowledge standpoint.

Thus, going into the first scrimmage this Saturday, King is ahead of the other guys on campus to be the starting quarterback. It will be interesting to see what transpires in the two scrimmages relative to his competitors.

Advertisement
I just dropped 2k$ on flights, rental car, tickets, BBQ, parking so I'm praying I wont have to drop another 80 buying a bottle of Woodford to get me through the flight.

Hey 954,

Not telling you how to do your business, I just hope the BBQ you said you already dropped $ on stays fresh till game time. Have fun

Because the College Station area is loaded with great BBQ places

CJ's is excellent

I know it has no bearing on our game this year, but, last time we played there (I get it, they were terrible [we had onion]) weren't we up 41-10 in the 4th quarter? It's just funny hearing people talk about Kyle field as if it's some sort of house of horrors. Mighty (7 win) Mississippi State went in there last year and squeaked one out. I guess male cheerleaders dressed like milkmen and 110,000 swaying-in-unison yokels might scare some folks.
Our players just need to pretend that all those weirdos at ATM are rooting for the Canes. Embrace it. Be confident. Ball out.

Hey 954,

Not telling you how to do your business, I just hope the BBQ you said you already dropped $ on stays fresh till game time. Have fun

Because the College Station area is loaded with great BBQ places

CJ's is excellent

I was talking about the order I made at one of said resturaunts, most of them are near sold out.... of course I wouldn't be buying meat now in miami for a game in texas in a month :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I'm also partial to Fargos but CJ's is good

Advertisement
Back