Will We Beat A&M?

Will we beat Texas A&M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When’s the last time we beat an SEC team? Was it Golden and the Gators? How about SEC on the road or neutral site? Do we gotta go back to Mo Sikes or Devin in the Peach Bowl? I just can’t get my hopes up.

Advertisement
We’ll learn more about Gattis; Steele’s resume is long & established.

He’s competed against TAMU several times & understands what it takes to beat them.

The Defenses he coached at Auburn had a 3 game win streak against TAMU from 2017-2019.

He’ll have a good game plan to give the Defense the best chance to slow down TAMU’s formulaic antiquated attack.

The game will come down to Gattis neutralizing the speed & power of TAMU’s DL & creating scenarios that help the WR group separate from TAMU’s big DB’s. They have a big physical Secondary & the only way to take away their advantage is by stretching the field & making them run. If we play Football in phonebooth we’ll make it that much harder on ourselves.

They go back even further than that (and I know you know this, just pointing it out for everyone).

Steele was the DC at Bama in Jimbo's first year as OC at FSU in 2007.

He was also the DC at Clemson from 2009 - 2011, and obviously faced Jimbo 3 times in that stretch. Jimbo's teams only scored 30 points once in those 3 games, a 35-30 loss at Clemson in 2011.

And then as you mentioned, they faced off 3 times between 2018 to 2020 when Steele was the Auburn DC and Jimbo was the HC at A&M.

2018 Auburn won 28-24
2019 Auburn won 28-20
2020 A&M won 31-20, in a game that was 20-14 Auburn at the end of the 3rd quarter, although A&M did have 500 yards in that game.

So they've coached heads-up against each other many times over the past 15+ years, with Steele doing a very good job against him.

7 games head-to-head, and Jimbo's team has never scored more than 31 points in any of those 7 games.

No, but if I had to choose this game or Clemson I’m picking TAMU 10/10 times.

Others have broken down the matchups better than I could. I don’t think the Aggies are on the level of UGA or Bama, Jimbo is at least the genetic descendant of frauds if not one outright, and their elite-elite class is a year away from being installed at every position.

That said, they’ve still recruited better than us over the last 3-5 years, they have an insane atmosphere, and we have unproven players at critical positions. I love that we have 2 games before this one, that’s why we have a chance, but I cant predict a win at this point.

If I had money riding on it, I'd say no. But when one team has a big advantage in QB over the other, it makes up for a lot of flaws. TVD is considerably better than whoever will be starting for TAMU (probably Johnson). As long as UM is able to respond to TAMU's scoring, my hope is that their QB will make some critical mistakes in crunch time and UM can capitalize and steal the W at the end of the game.

Id say the talent differential between Oregon and Ohio State was larger than the talent difference between UM and TAMU, yet Cristobal still found a way to win. If Diaz was coaching, I wouldn't even bother watching the game. Cristobal has the capability to make it interesting.

Depends on their QB play and our DBs. I think that makes/breaks the game. Honestly think D-line will hold up w/ transfers who came in and more disciplined play.

Advertisement
Ohh, I definitely agree. I'm obviously always wearing some orange and green shades too BUT this is a game where TVD can* be the difference. This is a game where he and some of our other vets will have to make the next step.

I don't think A&M is an elite team and I have moar confidence than ever that this staff will at least put us in a position TO win so that's why I'm optimistic and think it'll really come down to TVD stepping up late in the 4th quarter.

Agreed. TVD + Jimbo’s archaic offense gives us a chance.

I think we lose but it’ll be closer than the experts think. Key will be running the ball and stopping the run like in most of these games. If Max Johnson starts for them I like our chances more.
If we try stubbornly to run it on them without success, we will lose. We need to use the strength of their DL against them. Get the ball out quickly etc. TVD will have to beat them by distributing the ball quickly to the TEs, RBs & WRs. I don't think we have the OL talent yet to run effectively on them. We do have the QB talent, TE talent, RB talent & certain WRs that can beat them. Gotta play to your strengths.

How we lose:

Playing conservatively,
Playing to keep the game close,
Turnovers (RBs have to focus on ball security),
Dumb penalties (I pray that Mario finally rids us of this plague), and
Trying to run the ball over & over without success. In the years ahead, we'll be able to pound people into submission (but we're not there yet). Throw the ball, if you want to win this game (with a solid dose of run game mixed in).

Let's see how they replace Kenyon Green.

He was only a two-time consensus All-America, first-team All-SEC in 2021, a finalist for the Lombardi Award, and the #15 overall pick in the NFL Draft last April.

He's gone, as well as starting Left Tackle Jahmir Johnson, who started 11 games last season.

Losing both of those guys off an OL that wasn't very good last year, with a QB learning a new system and facing a DC who knows Jimbo inside and out. We absolutely have a chance in this game.

Last edited:
Yeah we win. We have the better QB and coaching staff. Perennial 8-4 team that is overhyped due to a recent recruiting class with a bunch of freshman who may not play much. We'll be coached up with a great game plan and surprise Cuckbo to the tune of 31-24. I'll take a 1 month ban if we lose with a smile.

Advertisement
They go back even further than that (and I know you know this, just pointing it out for everyone).

Steele was the DC at Bama in Jimbo's first year as OC at FSU in 2007.

He was also the DC at Clemson from 2009 - 2011, and obviously faced Jimbo 3 times in that stretch. Jimbo's teams only scored 30 points once in those 3 games, a 35-30 loss at Clemson in 2011.

And then as you mentioned, they faced off 3 times between 2018 to 2020 when Steele was the Auburn DC and Jimbo was the HC at A&M.

2018 Auburn won 28-24
2019 Auburn won 28-20
2020 A&M won 31-20, in a game that was 20-14 Auburn at the end of the 3rd quarter, although A&M did have 500 yards in that game.

So they've coached heads-up against each other many times over the past 15+ years, with Steele doing a very good job against him.

7 games head-to-head, and Jimbo's team has never scored more than 31 points in any of those 7 games.
Steele has a case for the best coach on staff lol

I’m riding with TVD, kid was playing on a whole nother lever once he got his feet under him and I think he was just scratching the surface.
If the teams were reversed most on here would be ****ting their pants afraid of him.

Last edited:
I forget what it’s like to walk into these types of games not completely screwed from a coaching standpoint

Gattis holds the key for me here. Heisman potential QB….I dunno

I’m not confident but only because we have such huge questions to answer and I don’t think we get any of those the first two games

Advertisement
Can we win? Sure we can

Like any big games, we would need some things to fall our way. No turnovers for us and forcing a few for them would go a long way. Going play action on first down. Not going 3 and out.

Will it happen? Well that’s what the game is played for.

I personally have this game as an L but we have enough talent to certainly make it interesting. If a few things fall our way then maybe we can squeak out the dub

We can beat them. They aren’t unbeatable. But do I expect us to? No! Ask me next year…

Advertisement
TVD coming out party. Jimbo wants no smoke with Steele. People talk about what Auburn did against LSU, look at how they did against Clemson as well with first round QBs. And those Auburn teams were not stacked. TVD and the TEs feast in this game.

Advertisement
Back