Will We Beat A&M?

Will we beat Texas A&M?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's exactly the type of game a QB that is a legitimate Heisman hopeful and an "all-star" coaching staff wins on the road.

This isn't going into Athens or Columbus or Tuscaloosy. A&M has flaws and we're getting some warm-up games prior.

Canes 38 - TAMU 35

Advertisement
That's exactly the type of game a QB that is a legitimate Heisman hopeful and an "all-star" coaching staff wins on the road.

This isn't going into Athens or Columbus or Tuscaloosy. A&M has flaws and we're getting some warm-up games prior.

Canes 38 - TAMU 35

They have Sam Houston State and App State prior to us so they have 2 games to work out their kinks as well. Tough matchup for us on the road with a new staff against a team with a roster just as good if not better than ours.

Advertisement
Depends.

Defense:
- Stop Devon Achane & the Run game in general
- Force Lefty Max Johnson to beat us with his arm
- Heavy pressure upfront; have to get after the QB & move him off his mark

Offense:
- Aggressiveness neutralizes talent gap; if we try to pound the rock vs TAMU, we’re screwed
- Score early & often; Can’t settle for FG’s in place of TD’s, have to stretch the field & finish drives
- Self inflicted mistakes; Can’t shoot ourselves in the foot with procedural penalties

The fact it’s a road game @ College Station stacks the odds heavily against us, but it’s a winnable game.

It comes down to how aggressive we are & how bad do we want it.

Do we win it? Probably not...
Can we win? Sure we can...

They have Sam Houston State and App State prior to us so they have 2 games to work out their kinks as well. Tough matchup for us on the road with a new staff against a team with a roster just as good if not better than ours.
Ohh, I definitely agree. I'm obviously always wearing some orange and green shades too BUT this is a game where TVD can* be the difference. This is a game where he and some of our other vets will have to make the next step.

I don't think A&M is an elite team and I have moar confidence than ever that this staff will at least put us in a position TO win so that's why I'm optimistic and think it'll really come down to TVD stepping up late in the 4th quarter.

Advertisement
Depends.

Defense:
- Stop Devon Achane & the Run game in general
- Force Lefty Max Johnson to beat us with his arm
- Heavy pressure upfront; have to get after the QB & move him off his mark

Offense:
- Aggressiveness neutralizes talent gap; if we try to pound the rock vs TAMU, we’re screwed
- Score early & often; Can’t settle for FG’s in place of TD’s, have to stretch the field & finish drives
- Self inflicted mistakes; Can’t shoot ourselves in the foot with procedural penalties

The fact it’s a road game @ College Station stacks the odds heavily against us, but it’s a winnable game.

It comes down to how aggressive we are & how bad do we want it.

Do we win it? Probably not...
Can we win? Sure we can...
A quality reasoned take as usual.

We're probably gonna learn a lot about Kevin Steele that night.

My 3 keys to victory for our Canes

#1 Stop their run attack ( looking at you new DL )
#2 our OL is 100% healthy ( we need Zion/ our best 5 @ 100% )
#3 Gattis to scheme it fast, moving, unconventional and lethal ( RB passing targets & TE..lots of Rooster, Restrepo, Parish, Brashard, Arroyo and Mallory)

Advertisement
A quality reasoned take as usual.

We're probably gonna learn a lot about Kevin Steele that night.
We’ll learn more about Gattis; Steele’s resume is long & established.

He’s competed against TAMU several times & understands what it takes to beat them.

The Defenses he coached at Auburn had a 3 game win streak against TAMU from 2017-2019.

He’ll have a good game plan to give the Defense the best chance to slow down TAMU’s formulaic antiquated attack.

The game will come down to Gattis neutralizing the speed & power of TAMU’s DL & creating scenarios that help the WR group separate from TAMU’s big DB’s. They have a big physical Secondary & the only way to take away their advantage is by stretching the field & making them run. If we play Football in phonebooth we’ll make it that much harder on ourselves.

Advertisement
If Jimbo handicaps his offense like he tends to do a fair bit, we have a shot.

58th in YPP last year.
24th the year before.
74th in 2019.

We all know who Jimbo is. He's not gonna outscheme anyone. Breaking in a new QB, in his first big game at the school, with several new players on the OL? I don't think they go up and down the field on us. And if you tell me we hold them somewhere around 28, I like our chances with a big-time QB to get close enough to that number to have everyone very interested as we get into the 4th quarter.

Will we have the depth to run with them for 60 minutes? And will we be able to hold our own on the LOS on both sides? Pretty much the same questions I have every time we play a talented team. And every time recently, it's been no and no. Let's see what this year holds.

Advertisement
Back