Will Rick play scared against UNC?

This is an interesting game for a few reasons. First, Rick and our offense just got their asses thoroughly kicked. Second, UNC has had big problems stopping the run since last year.

Does Rick react by going in a shell trying to eat clock, lining up in a lot of I-formation, or does he come out guns blazing, spread em out and work the pass and tempo and run the ball from spread formations?l

I hope he doesn't think he's just going to line up in I-formation and run it down UNC's throat because they have such a bad run D. I think we tried that last year and failed miserably. Pretty sure the teams who have had success running on them have done it more from spread formations than from I-formation tight sets. Baylor put 600 yards rushing on them out of spread sets in the bowl game.

I hope that FSU beating doesn't give him the yips and make him fall deeper into the dark world of conservative play calling.

I think Richt rebounds this week!

After his bad losses against UF, they beat KY Jelly like they stole something the next week!

Think this will be high scoring game, and complainers gonna be all over Diaz butt next week.

Advertisement
Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

I'm not opposed to running a lot against them. I just hope we don't try to line up in tight I-formation sets and play bully ball. That'll put us behind the chains way too often.

We beat them playing bully ball in '13 and '14. They don't have the pass rush that FSU has so Kaaya should be able to pick their secondary apart

so does it have to be feast or famine? either I formation cloud of dust or fast break spread? Probably a mix of the two depending on the situation and what is working. At least, I hope that's the case.

We're in deep trouble at RT imo. St. Louis just doesn't have it.

Rick will have to adjust accordingly, and if that means keeping a TE in to chip/block on every play then we're even more limited.

Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

I'm not opposed to running a lot against them. I just hope we don't try to line up in tight I-formation sets and play bully ball. That'll put us behind the chains way too often.

i hope we don't line up in tight I with Williams too much, either. I like that formation against less talented front 7's, but we aren't getting a good enough push with our interior line to warrant running those plays against equally talented teams like UNC, ND and VT. I'm not sure how much (if at all) we've done this, but I'd be interested to see Herndon line up as a FB in those I formation sets. We could flank him out as a security blanket and get him the ball in space against a LB.

People forget that UNC is likely getting Hood back this Saturday who is one of their top 3 players overall. Last year Hood went off for 140 yards at 8ypc. Walton and Yearby averaged 4.4 ypc on 25 touches. That game was much more of a blowout than the final score suggested - they were up 52-7 at one point. We need to take shots down field, use the TEs on seam routes and get the ball to our playmakers in space.

Advertisement
I don't think anything he'll do will be a result of a reaction to last week or anything emotional based. He's been around too long for that to be the case whereas you could ask that question of a newer head coach that hasn't had these type of prior experiences. Anything you see Rick do this week is going to be indicative of who he is as a playcaller in general and not just reflective of the moment.

Bump.....because now I'm scared of my initial reaction on this topic and now hope that he was just corching scared as [MENTION=4841]The Franchise[/MENTION] put forth as a possibility.

Advertisement
Back