Will Rick play scared against UNC?

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
This is an interesting game for a few reasons. First, Rick and our offense just got their asses thoroughly kicked. Second, UNC has had big problems stopping the run since last year.

Does Rick react by going in a shell trying to eat clock, lining up in a lot of I-formation, or does he come out guns blazing, spread em out and work the pass and tempo and run the ball from spread formations?

I hope he doesn't think he's just going to line up in I-formation and run it down UNC's throat because they have such a bad run D. I think we tried that last year and failed miserably. Pretty sure the teams who have had success running on them have done it more from spread formations than from I-formation tight sets. Baylor put 600 yards rushing on them out of spread sets in the bowl game.

I hope that FSU beating doesn't give him the yips and make him fall deeper into the dark world of conservative play calling.

Advertisement
I don't think anything he'll do will be a result of a reaction to last week or anything emotional based. He's been around too long for that to be the case whereas you could ask that question of a newer head coach that hasn't had these type of prior experiences. Anything you see Rick do this week is going to be indicative of who he is as a playcaller in general and not just reflective of the moment.

I would argue that FSU's defense whooped our ***.

We did it to ourselves.

And to answer your question, I doubt anything changes w the playcalling. Hope I'm wrong, and if I'm right, I hope we win.

Advertisement
This is an interesting game for a few reasons. First, Rick and our offense just got their asses thoroughly kicked. Second, UNC has had big problems stopping the run since last year.

Does Rick react by going in a shell trying to eat clock, lining up in a lot of I-formation, or does he come out guns blazing, spread em out and work the pass and tempo and run the ball from spread formations?

I hope he doesn't think he's just going to line up in I-formation and run it down UNC's throat because they have such a bad run D. I think we tried that last year and failed miserably. Pretty sure the teams who have had success running on them have done it more from spread formations than from I-formation tight sets. Baylor put 600 yards rushing on them out of spread sets in the bowl game.

I hope that FSU beating doesn't give him the yips and make him fall deeper into the dark world of conservative play calling.

If the defense keeps playing like it has, conservative play calling wins the rest of the games in the season. If Richt just calls three straight run plays in the red zone and kicks the field goal instead of putting ball in the air, Kaaya doesn't throw the INT and we win even with a godawful offense. It's boring and painful to watch, but when a defense is dominant, best way to win is not shoot yourself in the foot. I don't want to watch something boring but coaching 101 says winning is more important than being entertaining.

Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

UGA used a lot of 21 and 22, but that might have been because they weren't comfortable with their QB yet.

[video=youtube;u6ovfp0kpNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ovfp0kpNI[/video]

If the defense keeps playing like it has, conservative play calling wins the rest of the games in the season. If Richt just calls three straight run plays in the red zone and kicks the field goal instead of putting ball in the air, Kaaya doesn't throw the INT and we win even with a godawful offense. It's boring and painful to watch, but when a defense is dominant, best way to win is not shoot yourself in the foot. I don't want to watch something boring but coaching 101 says winning is more important than being entertaining.

Great, we've turned into LSU.

Better than Golden ball.

Advertisement
MR needs to know when to run tempo.I just dont understand how you do it after a long drive against your defense.He got away with it vs GT,but fried the D versus FSU with his 3 and outs in 90 seconds.Balance!!!!!

UGA used a lot of 21 and 22, but that might have been because they weren't comfortable with their QB yet.

[video=youtube;u6ovfp0kpNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ovfp0kpNI[/video]

Georgia also has Chubb and Michel (Michel may have been hurt but who cares I'm rolling) who are a cut above Yearby and Walton (and I happen to like Yearby and Walton).

'Chise is right.

I hope you're not expecting our D to dominate UNC this weekend. You're going to be deeply disappointed. We're going to need to score TDs, and lot of them, to win.

Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

I'm not opposed to running a lot against them. I just hope we don't try to line up in tight I-formation sets and play bully ball. That'll put us behind the chains way too often.

Advertisement
There's no reason why we shouldn't rush for over 200yds total against this god awful run defense...

I don't think Richt will be more conservative in his playcalling, but I do think he'll try to pound the rock a lot more...

I don't have a problem with that, I just want us to get Joku the ball in the Endzone & utilize Harris for something more than just quick screens.

The only way they will stop our run game is if we make it easy on them by making it a phone booth game and allowing them to stack the box.

The reality is, we'd be 0-2 in the ACC without the defense. If the offense does not improve dramatically we are likely headed to 1-2. This defense has a chance to be very special, but you can't rely on them to score points and make huge plays every week. I do look forward to seeing more of Scott Patchan. He added size and does not look any less quick.

Advertisement
The reality is, we'd be 0-2 in the ACC without the defense. If the offense does not improve dramatically we are likely headed to 1-2. This defense has a chance to be very special, but you can't rely on them to score points and make huge plays every week. I do look forward to seeing more of Scott Patchan. He added size and does not look any less quick.

He looked tiny to me. He's gotta be like 210 pounds.

I'll be surprised if it's not more of the same. We've already played 5 different opponents and there hasn't been much variation.

Advertisement
Back