Will Rick play scared against UNC?

with this oline it should be all gun. hike the ball & out. quick passes, screens, & runs when we get there first step back. kaaya has to get the ball out of his hands. period.

Advertisement
We did not get our *** kicked. GTFOOh. If one flag was thrown for holding by the fsu receiver and the td called back and then the phantom flag thrown on our OL not thrown and waltons td counted , you instant haters would be singing a different tune. You would be saying we kicked their asses. We lost, but we should be happy where we are at with a depleted team, new staff and lack of depth.

This is an interesting game for a few reasons. First, Rick and our offense just got their asses thoroughly kicked. Second, UNC has had big problems stopping the run since last year.

Does Rick react by going in a shell trying to eat clock, lining up in a lot of I-formation, or does he come out guns blazing, spread em out and work the pass and tempo and run the ball from spread formations?

I hope he doesn't think he's just going to line up in I-formation and run it down UNC's throat because they have such a bad run D. I think we tried that last year and failed miserably. Pretty sure the teams who have had success running on them have done it more from spread formations than from I-formation tight sets. Baylor put 600 yards rushing on them out of spread sets in the bowl game.

I hope that FSU beating doesn't give him the yips and make him fall deeper into the dark world of conservative play calling.

Lets not pretend the loss was all due to conservative play calling. Two scores (14 points) were due to complete blunders on the defensive side. As much as want to heap praise on the defense, it was the unit we expected to be solid. We also knew and acknowledged many times that the Oline would be an issue. To totally blame the lack of success on Richt's play calling is only partly correct. Pass protection and creating running lanes was a big problem in the second half, equal to conservative play calling. Point is, blaming the loss on conservative play calling isn't an accurate analysis of occurrences. I would agree We cannot play Nebraska I with this Oline and expect to out score NC. We got to open up, get vertical, use the TE's, fullback leads and let our playmakers make plays.

This is an interesting game for a few reasons. First, Rick and our offense just got their asses thoroughly kicked. Second, UNC has had big problems stopping the run since last year.

Does Rick react by going in a shell trying to eat clock, lining up in a lot of I-formation, or does he come out guns blazing, spread em out and work the pass and tempo and run the ball from spread formations?

I hope he doesn't think he's just going to line up in I-formation and run it down UNC's throat because they have such a bad run D. I think we tried that last year and failed miserably. Pretty sure the teams who have had success running on them have done it more from spread formations than from I-formation tight sets. Baylor put 600 yards rushing on them out of spread sets in the bowl game.

I hope that FSU beating doesn't give him the yips and make him fall deeper into the dark world of conservative play calling.

Who is this Rick person some posters mention?

Who is this Rick person some posters mention?

Rick = Richt in Franchisese.

Advertisement
Yall real funny. It's almost as if yall want to believe that Richt doesn't know what he is doing. As if all of a sudden we're all smarter than Mark and can see the game better than he can.

None of you dumb fuqs were saying shid about Richt calling plays before the FSU game now all of a sudden the game has passed him up?

gtfoh. Let a trend start before you go typing your dumbazz corny posts about Richt and the offense.

interesting...... :babyface:

Nah. It's just disappointment over seeing an offense that has regressed since OC coley left.
Regressed.. Based on two conference games right?.

One in which was against gt where teams notoriously only have the ball for 1/3 the game

You're a troll and an idiot if you think we have regressed. People want richt to fail.

We scored more points in our first four games in the history of our program. You can say competition all you want but we've played Savannah state in the past and other scrubs all the same. We had a poor game against our rival.. One in which we played well enough to score 27 points but Tyre st Louis wouldn't allow that

We haven't been fully functioning and they are learning as they go but those saying he's a failure are complete idiots

Last edited:
Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

That would be a helluva start. 2 plays stopped at the line and then an incomplete pass in the flat to complete the 3 and out. Bright side will be the Vogel 70 yd punt.

Then we get to see more defense [emoji48][emoji48][emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guarantee we run the ball on first two plays. See what happens and go from there. But I hope we spread it out more and have RBs catch the ball out of the backfield.

We tried a little play-action on the first play vs. FSU.

Chise, 100% agree. I know the dummies like to preach "it's only one game, guys!" But this game will say a lot, and frankly, could very well be a barometer for the rest of the season.

I think ****dik will be able to gameplan against richt's offense as it's currently constituted. If richt doesn't adjust, this could be another 23-2 type of slosh fest where both defenses show
Up to play. If it goes down like that, it's pretty clear that any competent DC will be able to slow our offense down. That's bad news.

Good stuff, but if we score 23 we stand probably a 90% chance of losing.

Advertisement
The reality is, we'd be 0-2 in the ACC without the defense. If the offense does not improve dramatically we are likely headed to 1-2. This defense has a chance to be very special, but you can't rely on them to score points and make huge plays every week. I do look forward to seeing more of Scott Patchan. He added size and does not look any less quick.

He looked tiny to me. He's gotta be like 210 pounds.

He's 6'6. That's why he looks so thin. (plus he is on the lighter side - which is fine. He's a 3rd strong 3rd down rusher).

Yall real funny. It's almost as if yall want to believe that Richt doesn't know what he is doing. As if all of a sudden we're all smarter than Mark and can see the game better than he can.

None of you dumb fuqs were saying shid about Richt calling plays before the FSU game now all of a sudden the game has passed him up?

gtfoh. Let a trend start before you go typing your dumbazz corny posts about Richt and the offense.

I was. Noted major concerns starting with our second possession against GT, and throughout the game, and wondered if his awful playcalling was due to Kaaya being bad vs GT, or part of a play calling pattern.

The FSU game kinda indicates that both Kaaya and CMR are pretty awful as a QB/play caller tandem....

If the defense keeps playing like it has, conservative play calling wins the rest of the games in the season. If Richt just calls three straight run plays in the red zone and kicks the field goal instead of putting ball in the air, Kaaya doesn't throw the INT and we win even with a godawful offense. It's boring and painful to watch, but when a defense is dominant, best way to win is not shoot yourself in the foot. I don't want to watch something boring but coaching 101 says winning is more important than being entertaining.

I hope you're not expecting our D to dominate UNC this weekend. You're going to be deeply disappointed. We're going to need to score TDs, and lot of them, to win.

Ppl see UNC score only 3 points against VT and they forget that UNC is a very high scoring team capable of putting 40 on the board. Smh. We need points and lots of them like u said.

Advertisement
One in which was against gt where teams notoriously only have the ball for 1/3 the game

You're a troll and an idiot if you think we have regressed. People want richt to fail.

We scored more points in our first four games in the history of our program. You can say competition all you want but we've played Savannah state in the past and other scrubs all the same. We had a poor game against our rival.. One in which we played well enough to score 27 points but Tyre st Louis wouldn't allow that

We haven't been fully functioning and they are learning as they go but those saying he's a failure are complete idiots

There is a contingent of phans wanting Richt to fail. I suspect a majority wanted Butch Davis rehired, and are still holding out false hope.

Nah. It's just disappointment over seeing an offense that has regressed since OC coley left.

Why are you getting so emotional? Wash the sand out of your ******, take a deep breath and relax. I base my opinion on 2 games vs P5 opponents. The O hasn't jelled yet. I didn't call anybody a failure, big guy, and I certainly don't want anybody to fail.

There is nothing wrong with posting something on a message board that isn't blindly positive.

Why are you getting so emotional? Wash the sand out of your ******, take a deep breath and relax. I base my opinion on 2 games vs P5 opponents. The O hasn't jelled yet. I didn't call anybody a failure, big guy, and I certainly don't want anybody to fail.

There is nothing wrong with posting something on a message board that isn't blindly positive.
I appreciate the concern for my well being there. I'm fine I can assure you

My statement wasn't necessarily directed at you, more towards the board and the 10 threads of people bashing the team. Our convo just happened to tie in

I agree with you completely. I blindly followed Shannon into darkness and golden until the 3 game skid in 2013.

I won't do it again, although... I stand by the fact that the majority of people on this board are morons and over dramatic after we have a total of 1 loss and the future looks bright for the first time in over a decade.

We'll know a lot more 7 days from now

Advertisement
Chise, 100% agree. I know the dummies like to preach "it's only one game, guys!" But this game will say a lot, and frankly, could very well be a barometer for the rest of the season.

I think ****dik will be able to gameplan against richt's offense as it's currently constituted. If richt doesn't adjust, this could be another 23-2 type of slosh fest where both defenses show
Up to play. If it goes down like that, it's pretty clear that any competent DC will be able to slow our offense down. That's bad news.

IMO, Miami doesnt win this, then I dont think they win at Blacksburg and this season goes to bolivian.

The goal in this game is to score at least 35 points, UNC can score and they play at a quick tempo and I dont see Lawrence Taylor, Julius Peppers and Dre Bly out there for the Tar Heels.

I appreciate the concern for my well being there. I'm fine I can assure you

My statement wasn't necessarily directed at you, more towards the board and the 10 threads of people bashing the team. Our convo just happened to tie in

I agree with you completely. I blindly followed Shannon into darkness and golden until the 3 game skid in 2013.

I won't do it again, although... I stand by the fact that the majority of people on this board are morons and over dramatic after we have a total of 1 loss and the future looks bright for the first time in over a decade.

We'll know a lot more 7 days from now

The majority of people on this earth are morons and over dramatic!

We can agree... 7 days from now...

If the defense keeps playing like it has, conservative play calling wins the rest of the games in the season. If Richt just calls three straight run plays in the red zone and kicks the field goal instead of putting ball in the air, Kaaya doesn't throw the INT and we win even with a godawful offense. It's boring and painful to watch, but when a defense is dominant, best way to win is not shoot yourself in the foot. I don't want to watch something boring but coaching 101 says winning is more important than being entertaining.

pretty sure kaaya threw the int not richt.........

UNC has had one good game beating fsu. They lost to an average dawg team who has a bad defense, lost to a decent VT team and beat up a bunch of mediocre teams. We have a very good defense, much better than the dawgs. Read on their board this morning they wish they had our defense and their offense. This won't be a shootout. If UNC had a high powered offense they would have whipped the dawgs just like ole miss.

We don't have a good OL, hard to call plays when you can't count on consistent blocking, confidence is low. You can blame Richt, thats the easy thing to do, he had a few head scratchers, but he will call a game based on his OL's ability which isn't very good right now. We will play VT for the Coastal in a few weeks.

Advertisement
Back