Why we won't see elite linebacker play Video evidence

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

Ok ... Coach Lombardi

Advertisement

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

defense sucks we all know that and we will see it exposed vs Clemson. Sucks man

That not what I'm saying. If we clean a few of these issues up we can beat Clemson. Simple rule of thumb you can't have both DTs trying to avoid blocks. 1 has to be that constant space eater like Norton.
Yea I feel u but have these dudes even changed under Baker? Its basically the same nonsense every game since MD been here. The DT chart is weak af because the way he recruited it. He got gifts from Goldens Bumb *** in RJ and Willis, RJ was a monster IMO.

Advertisement
Iowa plays a 4 down lineman defence every year. Evey year they have less talent than us, and every year they look more sound on d than us. If linebackers and D lineman constantly make the wrong read what does that tell you about the D and coaching?
Well kirk ferentz has been a head coach for 20 years or more so obv he’s been there that long cause he’s the real deal. Knows how to coach and how to assemble a staff to work with what he’s got. Not saying manny has no shot of doing that but comparing manny to Kirk is not gonna look good for manny

okay great. I disagree with your take. No big deal.
No, lol what I’m telling you is that’s how they play it... Straight from the horses mouth .

I agree with your takes on it. But there’s no real gap responsibility like you’d typically see.

We run a 4-2-5 attacking D with no Gab integrity. Our D - line shoot gaps looking for TFL while our Linbackers get eat up on our second level and our safeties and corners almost always have a high number of tackles! Smh it’s manny’s philosophy
Obviously, no matter what the scheme good execution is better than bad. BUT...

It actually makes perfectly good sense in this era when all rules are stacked against the defense. At the other extreme is the DNo defense where we did two things----let other teams march down the field and tired out our defense.

Makes much more sense to try to get a tfl, put the opponent in tough down/distance territory and take your chances.

No, lol what I’m telling you is that’s how they play it... Straight from the horses mouth .

I agree with your takes on it. But there’s no real gap responsibility like you’d typically see.
I've had conversations with Diaz and Baker. We're splitting hairs but they aren't freelancing the entire time. It's similar to this clip from Jim Schwartz about Haynesworth and Bullock playing it. Starts at 1:10:00. Unfortunately we do not have a Keith Bullock lol.

Advertisement
I've had conversations with Diaz and Baker. We're splitting hairs but they aren't freelancing the entire time. It's similar to this clip from Jim Schwartz about Haynesworth and Bullock playing it. Starts at 1:10:00. Unfortunately we do not have a Keith Bullock lol.

Thank you for sharing this. To me this is one of our biggest problems. We don't execute these NFL concepts good at all. As a Vikings fan I see Manny And Baker try use a lot of Mike Zimmer's double a gap, and outside delayed blitz concepts. These are concepts NFL defense's struggle to pull off and efficiently.

My bigger issue with the scheme is the blitzes from space and not setting edges consistently.
Yeah definitely. I’m more on the side of simplicity of Diaz attack than Bakers. At times they just need to line it up and play man instead of out doing themselves.

yep, it's wild how people ignore the most important things about a defense (other than points against of course)

TFL, sacks, defensive pass efficiency has been top 5, even #1 (yet people call for rumph being fired each and every day), #1 in power 5 in turnovers, top 10 in 3rd down defense, top 10 in yards per play against, etc.

Then you get on canesinsight and people start losing their minds saying baker and manny need to be gone. Do people not remember our defense under Golden and even the later shannon years? Do people not see Alabama and UGA giving up 30+ even 40+ points several times a season?

Not to mention the spelling and grammar in the OP makes me want to walk off a ledge.

But you're a **** if you call out spelling and grammatical mistakes, because why should adults know how to do things we learned in third grade? I spent thirteen years of involuntary education, and I sure don't wanna use it!

Advertisement
Let’s get back to this comment after Clemson.

Yeah, that makes sense. Let's look at the results against a team that's been winning at the highest level for years now and has substantially more talent than us, and predicate the results exclusively on D scheme.

If the '85 Bears played Wake Forest and won by 100, it's because of the scheme Wake runs on D. Got it.

This is a special kind of stupid.

No a special kind of stupid is propping up stats as evidence of a good defense when most of those stats are generated against terrible teams with inferior talent.

No a special kind of stupid is propping up stats as evidence of a good defense when most of those stats are generated against terrible teams with inferior talent.

So when there's a disparity of talent in Miami's favor, you don't want any conclusions drawn from it, but when Miami is playing the best team in the nation, then you want conclusions drawn so that you can criticize. OK then.

Advertisement
But you're a **** if you call out spelling and grammatical mistakes, because why should adults know how to do things we learned in third grade? I spent thirteen years of involuntary education, and I sure don't wanna use it!
If you two don't mind me asking, what is your education level and occupation? I am a teacher and I can prove that. I type in MLA format all day, so when I come here it's to relax. I'm aslo black so the dialect I speak is not the dialect I type in here. Again you presented nor counter argument you just attacked the spelling. I would break a lot of you dudes jaws in real life.

Isn't that what everybody does, though?

I'm just not understanding the panic over the defense.

Isn't that what everybody does, though?

I'm just not understanding the panic over the defense.
They shouldnt look this bad with most staff being here 5 years with their recruited players.. LB play looks weak and lost and scheme doesnt even seem to care for strong corner play.. Not really panic but 5 years in Manny should have dominant D with his recruited guys.. We dont trot out freshman, everyone is like a 3rd year player..

Our defense is based on creating havoc with the front 4, that’s true, but it’s also true that our LBs are trash by UM standards.

in this same defense Shaq Quarterman and Pinckney recurved all ACC recognition as wel, Shaq had over 100 tackles his final year. You gotta be able to slip blocks and read and diagnose plays which our current LB group is struggling with.

Advertisement
Back