Why we won't see elite linebacker play Video evidence

For one thing, I tend to be a bit self centered. So yes, I'm entertained.

Your point isn't wrong, it was just a bit difficult to follow is all. I suspect minding the gaps is a bit of a secondary thought to the DL who really wants to fest in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised if this was their own interest in chasing stats rather than suppressing the opponent.
This is the response I was looking for. Nothing wrong with poking a lil fun. It was 12:00 in the morning when I posted this from my phone. Was more worried about showing film not perfect spelling.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe this will help you understand it better. It’s the perfect D for us to use with the amount of skilled players we have, as long as the Dline recruiting keeps on this track.

Thank you! This defense and schemes are not logical. The execution is even worse. Teams with good QB's will hit big passes on us because they have the DB's off 10 yards and retreating at the snap. Safeties back off creating huge holes that Tutu Atwell exploited. Stop fooling yourselves. For the U to take the next step up we need a Experienced DC and assistants. Que....Winston Moss
As long as Manny is head coach I’d rather them spend the money on a really good OC to stick around. He can take over play calling for the D side if need be.

Advertisement
Maybe this will help you understand it better. It’s the perfect D for us to use with the amount of skilled players we have, as long as the Dline recruiting keeps on this track.
Honest question bro did you take the time to read this because I did. For one we shouldn't be undersized on defence. No elite Miami team has been undersized since probably the 83 chip team. Look at the alignment from the link you post and then you will understand why when our NT swim moves we end up with 2 lineman on our linebackers. Our Dt think they are getting penetration when the play is designed to give them a free release.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200924-113444.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-113444.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 14
I agree with this. Can we beat the Clemson's of the world when by design our safetys are expected to make most the tackles? In your opinion what should be expected of the linebacker in the defense based on our philosophy?

I think the answer is be better players. Shed blocks, understand their assignments better, be prepared for making those on field decisions by being better students in the film room so that their guesses are educated. Do the things that elite LBs do on elite defenses. I don't think changing our style of play to make our LBs look better is really the way to go about playing defense.

Manny/Baker have a style and that's what they know/do best. They have guys they have recruited to fit that style and for the most part it has been effective based on the metrics that matter. The question shouldn't be how can we change the defense to take the heat of our backers but how can we get them to play better in our system. What mistakes are they making and what can we do to correct them. Watching the film break downs the LBs are clearly making decisions that are putting them out of position and sometimes the d linemen are making bad reads and messing up the play. Lets fix that stuff first. Come back at me when you breakdown film and the actual design takes the players out of the play.

Bottomline is none of our guys are elite players right now, If Manny/Baker believe this style is the way to go Ill ride with it until it fails them.

Advertisement
if our DE's (particularly Roche) did a better job setting the edge in outside zone, and our playside LB's did a better job scraping to the edge instead of trying to chase from behind, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

This is true no doubt. It's gonna take a few years before our talent level is sufficient to consistently compete with the big dogs. But OP and others aren't pointing out talent deficiencies, but coaching and execution deficiencies. There are things the defense can do right now to improve our play.
My point was the talent level at LB isn't up to Miami's standard but it's good enough to get us to the ACCCG every year playing in the weak Coastal division. We put a couple back to back good seasons together, recruiting will pick up there.

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

Defense is spelled incorrectly.
There should be a comma between "defense" and "it's".
It's "our", not "are". Our is a possessive pronoun, are is a verb.
There should be a comma between "sack and "Harrison-Hunte", which should be capitalized as it's a proper noun.
It's "loose", not "lose".
There should be a comma after "backer".
It should be "they" not "there".
Another comma after "work", which should be "worked".
It's "run", not "ran".
It should be "out of" instead of "out".
There should be a comma between "control" and "which".

I'm not a teacher.

dude must belong to a solid teachers' union. no wonder kids are so ******* stupid these days.

Advertisement
I think the answer is be better players. Shed blocks, understand their assignments better, be prepared for making those on field decisions by being better students in the film room so that their guesses are educated. Do the things that elite LBs do on elite defenses. I don't think changing our style of play to make our LBs look better is really the way to go about playing defense.

Manny/Baker have a style and that's what they know/do best. They have guys they have recruited to fit that style and for the most part it has been effective based on the metrics that matter. The question shouldn't be how can we change the defense to take the heat of our backers but how can we get them to play better in our system. What mistakes are they making and what can we do to correct them. Watching the film break downs the LBs are clearly making decisions that are putting them out of position and sometimes the d linemen are making bad reads and messing up the play. Lets fix that stuff first. Come back at me when you breakdown film and the actual design takes the players out of the play.

Bottomline is none of our guys are elite players right now, If Manny/Baker believe this style is the way to go Ill ride with it until it fails th

Bottomline is none of our guys are elite players right now, If Manny/Baker believe this style is the way to go Ill ride with it until it fails them.

Iowa plays a 4 down lineman defense every year. Evey year they have less talent than us, and every year they look more sound on d than us. If linebackers and D lineman constantly make the wrong read what does that tell you about the D and coaching?

Last edited:
Going to disagree here. They are to create havoc/win their gap. The problem we have which has been pointed out is backdooring alot of these OZ plays. They are giving free releases to linemen blocking Linebackers. Combine that with Roche struggling to set the edge last week and we gave up a ton of yards. I would say it is execution more so than scheme.
It wasn’t a question/opinion on the scheme.

Advertisement
Back