Why we won't see elite linebacker play Video evidence

Since Manny got here the defense has been good enough to win the Coastal and make it to the ACCCG. The offense has been average to abysmal during that same time frame. We won't beat Clemson because we don't win enough games to get the elite talent here. If we consistently win we will get kids like James Williams and Leonard Taylor to stay home consistently and then we will have horses on that side of the ball (hopefully CB recruiting picks up) to play with anyone.
I agree with this. Can we beat the Clemson's of the world when by design our safetys are expected to make most the tackles? In your opinion what should be expected of the linebacker in the defense based on our philosophy?

Advertisement
Boy you do not know what you are talking about! Lol
Linebackers have to be able to shed blocks too. Offenses design plays where guards, centers, and tackles go block an LB. Problem is ours get caught up in the wash because they are not aware enough to read offenses. They just stand there and get blocked lol. I actually saw this where Jennings just stood there.

Problem is this defense is designed to make the big play. And so far, the big plays havent matched up to the poor plays.

If it works out, we get a sack, a turnover, a TFL. If it doesnt, its a complete bust.

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

You must not be watching Ford & Miller at the 1 tech/ NT spot because all they do is eat up blocks from the guard & center to free up the Mike, and make run stops.
Jade & JHH are athletic 3 techs and shoot the gaps to get into the backfield at the QB/RB.

Louisville runs an outside zone scheme w/ cutblocks to take away the DLs ability to shoot gaps & run downhill. The whole purpose of their scheme is to get the OL to the next level asap.

I watch the trenches from play to play and it was an excellent battle between the two lines all game.

Advertisement
I also think that this D is perfect for our recruiting grounds. We are tons of strikers, and safeties in south Florida. And stud DL that want to make plays, look at our DE play. They are snd have been feasting in this defense.

Is it perfect? No, it’s not. Even the best of DCs get gashed at times, ours sometimes too often. But even in the bad performances there are turnovers, tfls and sacks. You can win with this D, and you can slow prolific offenses with it.

If we get to a place of landing some of the elite talent around I could see this D being awesome. If Avantae pans out, some of the guys we have coming, I could see this D being amazing. It’s not like Pinckney didn’t shine in this D.

I'm sorry bro this is Just a difference and philosophy I guess. Some of you never played football and I can tell you never coached. You simply can't have your Dts and backers guessing constantly by design. On a lot of the plays the linebacker would be in the hole if the tackle didn't let the lineman on them. Bakers leaves a lot to be desired in his play calling period.
He's a Joke

We should go back to an odd front that focuses on playing two gaps while maintaining gap integrity. That should keep the linebackers clean enough to make plays. Linemen aren’t supposed to make plays in the backfield, they’re supposed to party-cake offensive linemen long enough for the linebackers to make the tackle 7 yards downfield.

Remember when we tried that?

The reason linebackers made plays with an attacking front in the past was because we had a bunch of first round picks playing linebacker then. I’m sure if Dan Morgan or DJ Williams we’re here, they’d be making plays. We don’t have an NFL linebacker on the roster. Maybe the younger guys might eventually be there but none of the experienced guys are any good. I mean they red shirted McCloud last year because they literally had nobody else to play this year. Linebacker recruiting took a vacation for a couple of seasons and now they’re stuck with the mess they created. Hopefully some of the first and second year players pick it up quick because one of the 3rd 4th or 5th year guys can play at a high level.

Advertisement
Don't to it to yourself bro I'm a teacher that was a slight slip. If you don't agree show film.

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

Defense is spelled incorrectly.
There should be a comma between "defense" and "it's".
It's "our", not "are". Our is a possessive pronoun, are is a verb.
There should be a comma between "sack and "Harrison-Hunte", which should be capitalized as it's a proper noun.
It's "loose", not "lose".
There should be a comma after "backer".
It should be "they" not "there".
Another comma after "work", which should be "worked".
It's "run", not "ran".
It should be "out of" instead of "out".
There should be a comma between "control" and "which".

I'm not a teacher.

And yet we have the most turnovers of any team over the last four years and are among leaders in sacks and tackles for loss as well.

But who wants that?
I was at a Bucs game watching the great Warren Sapp. Saw him shoot the gap one play (I believe he was freelancing based on what the rest of the D) and get a 6 yard TFL. A few plays later on the same drive he does it again flying out the gap and they ran a 60-yard TD, Maybe a Cane's thang.

Just to give you guys an FYI...

it’s a “DL- go create havoc, get up field, make a play” and “LB- clean it up” system

There is no sense of true gap control/ run fits. This is Manny’s system.

Advertisement
Stroud is a monster on trail but it’s been a gradual decline on d line since Kul left. We were so **** good technically when he was here and violent

I'm sorry bro this is Just a difference and philosophy I guess. Some of you never played football and I can tell you never coached. You simply can't have your Dts and backers guessing constantly by design. On a lot of the plays the linebacker would be in the hole if the tackle didn't let the lineman on them. Bakers leaves a lot to be desired in his play calling period.

Lmao. Tell us more coach.

Advertisement
Just to give you guys an FYI...

it’s a “DL- go create havoc, get up field, make a play” and “LB- clean it up” system

There is no sense of true gap control/ run fits. This is Manny’s system.
Going to disagree here. They are to create havoc/win their gap. The problem we have which has been pointed out is backdooring alot of these OZ plays. They are giving free releases to linemen blocking Linebackers. Combine that with Roche struggling to set the edge last week and we gave up a ton of yards. I would say it is execution more so than scheme.

8:17 Netsa is backside on an outside zone..he does what he is suppose to and is pursuing to the ball...it isnt his fault that backerr cant slip a block. Good lord he got washed.
Gotta disagree here. He again backdoors this play leaving the guard a free release on the mike. He's flat down the line after losing the A gap. There are a few plays in the first 2 games were out backside DT wins his gap and/or displaces the blocker into the backfield that are better examples.

Advertisement
Back