Why we won't see elite linebacker play Video evidence

The biggest knock I have for our defense (because it is what it is, this is not 80's, 90's or early 2000's Cane football)

Our defense seems to play tired late in games even if were up by a decent amount. Hence the UL game they really did not do a lot different in that game from start to finish, but our defense looked to play tired to me late in that game.

If we are literally in a barn burner with someone, like UNC or Clemson perhaps, we cannot play tired late in the game.

Of course we may not be as deep on the dline as a Clemson or other elite teams out there, but we have to figure it out.

Advertisement
Steed looks like he has the best instincts to me. Not the best athlete but always where he needs to be. Pair him with Brooks for a few drives, it think that’s our best combo. I also want to see what Huff can do because we need lateral speed desperately. 34 needs to be leading the cheer section.

Steed looks like he has the best instincts to me. Not the best athlete but always where he needs to be. Pair him with Brooks for a few drives, it think that’s our best combo. I also want to see what Huff can do because we need lateral speed desperately. 34 needs to be leading the cheer section.

Same eyes. You need good speed and instincts to excel at LB. More Steed, Brooks and Huff.

Going to disagree here. They are to create havoc/win their gap. The problem we have which has been pointed out is backdooring alot of these OZ plays. They are giving free releases to linemen blocking Linebackers. Combine that with Roche struggling to set the edge last week and we gave up a ton of yards. I would say it is execution more so than scheme.
The biggest issue against the Louisville run game was the end opposite Phillips not setting the edge. Roche was guilty quite a few times. Their offensive line was also one of the dirtiest lines I’ve ever seen. A lot of the guys who got penetration on defense literally got dragged away from the play by an o lineman. Nesta must have gotten the neck of his jersey ripped because they would literally horse collar him if he beat a block. When your defensive philosophy is about getting guys into the backfield to disrupt plays, you’re going to struggle if the refs allow linemen to grab and pull defenders.

Advertisement
Since Manny got here the defense has been good enough to win the Coastal and make it to the ACCCG. The offense has been average to abysmal during that same time frame. We won't beat Clemson because we don't win enough games to get the elite talent here. If we consistently win we will get kids like James Williams and Leonard Taylor to stay home consistently and then we will have horses on that side of the ball (hopefully CB recruiting picks up) to play with anyone.
This is true no doubt. It's gonna take a few years before our talent level is sufficient to consistently compete with the big dogs. But OP and others aren't pointing out talent deficiencies, but coaching and execution deficiencies. There are things the defense can do right now to improve our play.

The biggest issue against the Louisville run game was the end opposite Phillips not setting the edge. Roche was guilty quite a few times. Their offensive line was also one of the dirtiest lines I’ve ever seen. A lot of the guys who got penetration on defense literally got dragged away from the play by an o lineman. Nesta must have gotten the neck of his jersey ripped because they would literally horse collar him if he beat a block. When your defensive philosophy is about getting guys into the backfield to disrupt plays, you’re going to struggle if the refs allow linemen to grab and pull defenders.
Definitely agree on the holding. It's a staple of Full OZ teams though. The old Alex Gibbs Broncos teams got away with a ton. It becomes the norm because they run the play so much.

I'm sorry bro this is Just a difference and philosophy I guess. Some of you never played football and I can tell you never coached. You simply can't have your Dts and backers guessing constantly by design. On a lot of the plays the linebacker would be in the hole if the tackle didn't let the lineman on them. Bakers leaves a lot to be desired in his play calling period.
Where do you coach and where did you play?

After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

Thank you! This defense and schemes are not logical. The execution is even worse. Teams with good QB's will hit big passes on us because they have the DB's off 10 yards and retreating at the snap. Safeties back off creating huge holes that Tutu Atwell exploited. Stop fooling yourselves. For the U to take the next step up we need a Experienced DC and assistants. Que....Winston Moss

Advertisement
Even Richt got ****ed at the holding going on out there . . . (And, yeah, Jess Simpson was a big loss in a lot of ways) . . .

We should go back to an odd front that focuses on playing two gaps while maintaining gap integrity. That should keep the linebackers clean enough to make plays. Linemen aren’t supposed to make plays in the backfield, they’re supposed to party-cake offensive linemen long enough for the linebackers to make the tackle 7 yards downfield.

Remember when we tried that?

The reason linebackers made plays with an attacking front in the past was because we had a bunch of first round picks playing linebacker then. I’m sure if Dan Morgan or DJ Williams we’re here, they’d be making plays. We don’t have an NFL linebacker on the roster. Maybe the younger guys might eventually be there but none of the experienced guys are any good. I mean they red shirted McCloud last year because they literally had nobody else to play this year. Linebacker recruiting took a vacation for a couple of seasons and now they’re stuck with the mess they created. Hopefully some of the first and second year players pick it up quick because one of the 3rd 4th or 5th year guys can play at a high level.
Nobody is saying that and I'm not complaining about the D per say. I'm addressing the people that complain about linebacker play

Advertisement
After watching the Many Diaz defence and now the Baker defence it's clear that besides the linebacker coaching (which is a significant problem) are DTs constantly put our linebackers in no win situations. At 6:19 in the video although we get the sack harrison-hunte and Ford literally run into each other on the stunt. Then at 8:17 Nesta turns the guard lose right on to the backer which if there were running towards him might have work but that play is ran away from him. Nesta basically took the linebacker out the play with him. Jon Ford is constantly swimmimg. Are DTs play with no gap control which leaves are backers constantly guessing. These are easy fixes though. I would like to see Are Dt or at least 1 tech engage then try to shade. This will give our backers more time to diagnose the play. Imo

Defense is spelled incorrectly.
There should be a comma between "defense" and "it's".
It's "our", not "are". Our is a possessive pronoun, are is a verb.
There should be a comma between "sack and "Harrison-Hunte", which should be capitalized as it's a proper noun.
It's "loose", not "lose".
There should be a comma after "backer".
It should be "they" not "there".
Another comma after "work", which should be "worked".
It's "run", not "ran".
It should be "out of" instead of "out".
There should be a comma between "control" and "which".

I'm not a teacher.
Why do people come here to do things like this. If this entertains you I guess. No counter argument huh?

Advertisement
We went from Coach No'D defense where DT weren't even allowed to extend their arms to tackle without running gassers to a defense where the DT runs gassers if the opposing OL touches them. Quite the contrast lol

Why do people come here to do things like this. If this entertains you I guess. No counter argument huh?
For one thing, I tend to be a bit self centered. So yes, I'm entertained.

Your point isn't wrong, it was just a bit difficult to follow is all. I suspect minding the gaps is a bit of a secondary thought to the DL who really wants to fest in the backfield. I wouldn't be surprised if this was their own interest in chasing stats rather than suppressing the opponent.

Advertisement
Back