Why is this fan base obsessed with Mario Cristobal?

I'd love to see a poll of the south Florida kids who we'll lose this year give an opinion who it would take to get them to come to Miami.

Advertisement
Here it is right here for the novices here on the board that never played the game at a high level. Think about it this way at your job where you’ve worked your way from the bottom up and know everything there is to know about the job and then they go ahead and hire someone to be your boss that’s never even worked In the field before, a compete novice. You and I both know your not gonna give him true respect because he never earned it. That’s exactly what’s going on behind the scenes at Um when this kids are in there dorms, they’re making fun of Diaz nerdy ***! Basically saying this pu$$y wasn’t man enough to even play the game In highschool and this bum is our head coach. Smh never hire a head coach that didn’t atleast play the game at the college level of you want your team/players to respect him.

I think manny actually did play in high school. At Miami country day.

I thought Mario successfully answered lots of questions this year. The defense was more physical and likewise the running game. As a USC alum I watched every game this season except the Oregon game, which I turned off before halftime. It was already obvious Oregon was simply more prepared and more physical, and the game would be a rout. Oregon's defense stifled the Harrell offense to not much above 4 yards per play.

Nobody else in the conference did anything like that to USC. Here is the game log. Note the yards per play at far right:

I love the notion that he's not a championship coach. Unless we dip into lower division or retrieve Larry Coker, we're not getting a championship coach.

This season Cristobal looked much better than I expected, based on the FIU sampling. The one aspect I didn't like is all the passes completed behind the line of scrimmage. It has been an absurd reliance on that type of play all season...swing passes and screens, including on third down. Many of the scouting reports on Justin Herbert are focusing on that aspect, that he's so difficult to evaluate toward the NFL because his college offense does not translate to the NFL. The Auburn game was essentially forfeited early in the season. Oregon abused short passes early. Then Auburn steadily clamped down on them, as top SEC teams always do. It's like a tease. We'll let you think you can get away with this all game, then we'll stuff late. I remember Sam Bradford being absolutely stunned when Florida took away those plays late in the 2008 championship game. This time once Auburn rotated forward and wiped out those plays, Herbert couldn't adjust and there wasn't anything competent from the Oregon coaching staff either.

Because he played here, he's Cuban & coached at Bama.

That's pretty much it, if his name was Mario Johnson & had the same credentials no one would want him.

I think he's a solid coach, I don't think he'd turn Miami around & I've never been in favor of hiring him, he's obviously better than Diaz (which I mean who the fck isn't), but if people think he'd come here & do what he did at Oregon they're insane.

His success at Oregon is directly tied to the financial support they give their program, they actually care about football & are committed to winning, therefore they spend the money necessary in order to make it happen.

Miami doesn't even allocate enough funds to the football program for the recruiting budget, let alone spend the money necessary for a proper staff, Cristobal would fail here, not because he sucks, but because he wouldn't be able to overcome Miami's lack of effort from an administration standpoint, he wouldn't survive dealing with a program that simply isn't interested in turning Miami into a winning team.

Also most Canes fans are obsessed with filling the program with nothing but former Canes, they think anybody that's ever played or coached here is supposed to have an automatic spot available on the team & think they would recreate the 00's era, which of course is never going to happen.
this is the problem. finding the right guy. I think Mario and Mark Stoops are similar hires as far as the ceiling. Mario concerns because he almost lost to washington and wazzau, but he did close those games out. he is also battling alot of injuries this year. interesting is this team isnt even full of his players yet fans credit it. that being said, unless they are willing to break the bank for urban meyer and his baggage (i say do it at this point) we dont know who the next great coach would be.

Advertisement
This will be the easiest explanation I will have today: Miami fans are obsessed with Cristobal because the typical Miami fan is a moron that doesn't pay attention to college football outside of the Miami bubble. It's the reason why Manny Diaz is the coach now, outside of Blake James being an incompetent idiot. Miami fans have this mistaken belief that only a "Miami Guy" can win here, when in reality, the coaches that have won at Miami have NEVER been truly Miami guys. Howard had been everywhere, Jimmy Johnson was a native Texan, Dennis Erickson was from the northwest, Butch Davis was from Arkansas. Instead of finding the best coach available, Miami fans reflexively reach for any coach with any tie to the glory days. It's irrational, and makes it easier for idiots like James to wuss out and make lazy, uninspired hires. As long as they can say "They are a Miami guy, hence why they were hired", they will have enough fans eating out of their hands to where they can get away with pure incompetence.

I was ****ed when Diaz was hired, because Miami could have had Bill Clark, they could have had a multitude of guys that would have been far better at getting the most out of the talent out on the roster. That anger has resided, not because Diaz is competent(he isn't), but because I know that even if he is fired, this fanbase will clamor for yet another tired Miami retread, and nothing will ever change.

Just so you know, logical thinking like this will get you nowhere..........nowhere I tell ya!!!

Advertisement
I was never a fan of Mario for HC but I'm starting to come around on it a little bit. He'd recruit the **** out of SoFla.

Thanks, Manny.

Battered wives syndrome. Some on this board have been so abused by the last almost 20 years that they forgot what the real expectations of the program should be. People want to win the Coastal, or ACC, we have gotten to a point where we have lowered expectations because we are so bad. The goal was always to win the MNC when we were dominate, other bowl trophies were door stops.

Now the battered fans want Mario because he was a Cane, may or may not be able to recruit without bags, is winning at Oregon (a program where Willie T win and Chip won) and coached under Saban (but is his tree a Bill Walsh like tree... meaning it is not like Saban is producing football gods left and right). Someone also hoped Dabo would leave to Bama and Mario would come to Miami so we could Win the ACC...lulz. Can we get anymore battered than that?

Some fans have the expectations of the AD and most of the BoT. Placate the fans with a splash type hire, a UM guy, Richt, Manny and they will be happy and spend money. It does not solve problems, just shows incompetence. If we want to win we cannot get a guy that is improving. Look he has gotten better and is about to win his conference. Sound like the excuses that battered wives make, well he's a good provider and has not hit me in a few days.

We have the college and NFL ranks to look for candidates, yet we insist on being the SEC on date night, we don't want to go outside of the family. It's time to look beyond the program this time, and a little further than Temple.

Cristobal is so far 19-7 as the Oregon HC. He was blessed by inheriting an elite QB and a top 5 O-Line. Cristobal always struggles in the biggest games and he's only 10-2 with a playoff caliber Roster. The majority of his starters are Juniors and Seniors. He was 27-47 at FAU when he had his guys. Cristobal has never been a OC or DC either.

Well first and foremost you might want to have all your facts straight before you start a thread. He Never coached at FAU. :02.47-tranquillity:

Advertisement
Doubt it! Maybe he was the mascot or the dude that kept track of the stats with a clipboard on the sideline.

I went to MCDS with Manny and played on the same team, he absolutely played football there. He wasn't a great athlete, even by MCDS standards, but he was certainly a lot better than the kids who did hold the clipboards or played in the band.

I went to MCDS with Manny and played on the same team, he absolutely played football there. He wasn't a great athlete, even by MCDS standards, but he was certainly a lot better than the kids who did hold the clipboards or played in the band.
Ok I’ll give you that because you actually played highschool ball with him. Glad to here manny atleast played some level of ball even though he probably rode the bench.

Ok I’ll give you that because you actually played highschool ball with him. Glad to here manny atleast played some level of ball even though he probably rode the bench.

He didn't do that either, actually, he was pretty decent.

I get that he sucks as a Division 1 college football coach, but so would 99.9% of people who played HS football, even the good ones.

And I get that people are ****ed at his results, they're deplorable, but that doesn't make him dumb, he's very smart; that doesn't make him a bad or hack DC; and he doesn't have a lisp.

He's smart guy and a good DC who wasn't ready to be a Div 1 HC at a P5 program. That's it. There's hundreds like him roaming the sidelines, some get their shot and become Kirby Smart, others get their shot and become, well, Manny.

So, I get that people want him gone, truthfully, he should be, but that doesn't mean everything he's done in his life to this point was crap. It just means he's a bad HC.

Advertisement
I mean...if you don't understand the connection, idk what to tell you.

He's not a bum coach...and we likely would be better than we've been if we had Mario all these years. He's just not a great coach.

I'm not a Mario guy at all (check the logs, I've long not wanted him and think it'd be a lazy hire), but I've come around on him a bit. I think he'd be a great GUY BEFORE THE GUY if Miami were to ever become great again. I think he'll get us back to having elite recruiting classes and talent on the roster. We might top out at 10-2 with some Coastal titles with Mario, but he'd get us a ton of talent and if the timing is right, maybe the next guy could get us a championship with his talent.

He's got some Butch Davis to him...in both the best and worst ways.

Totally agree with how you describe Cristobal - and that's exactly how I felt about Richt. Solid but not great coach. Great recruiter. Hoped he would stock the team with better talent, get us back to a consistent 10 win team, make the Miami job more attractive again - then hand the keys over to a really good coach.

Richt won more games and recruited better - but then we handed the keys over to Manny. Now we're back at square one.

Honestly I think people are dying for a coach they believe will win vs duke, GT, and FIU even if deep down they know we would still only be a mediocre team. I guess mediocre is better than what we’ve been for a decade though

4 reasons:

Miami guy
Coached at Alabama
Recruits well (recruits South Florida well)
Might understand how offensive lines work

Miami could do much better but Cristobal isn’t awful, he’s just not a game changer. He’s also not insanely incompetent which is always a plus.
I trade Mario for Shanny anyday though.

Totally agree with how you describe Cristobal - and that's exactly how I felt about Richt. Solid but not great coach. Great recruiter. Hoped he would stock the team with better talent, get us back to a consistent 10 win team, make the Miami job more attractive again - then hand the keys over to a really good coach.

Richt won more games and recruited better - but then we handed the keys over to Manny. Now we're back at square one.

Recruited better? Where is our QB? Thin at WR. OL is a mess. LB depth non existent almost. DL has declined. CB's and the entire team is slow. If this is good recruiting we need to rethink our philosophy. This is in no way an excuse for the horrid coRching of Manny and his staff, as the talent was better than the putrid ACC, but it was not great. We need someone that can evaluate and project talent, and that has not happened since Butch.

Advertisement
Back