Why is this fan base obsessed with Mario Cristobal?

Mackmiller974

All ACC
Cristobal is so far 19-7 as the Oregon HC. He was blessed by inheriting an elite QB and a top 5 O-Line. Cristobal always struggles in the biggest games and he's only 10-2 with a playoff caliber Roster. The majority of his starters are Juniors and Seniors. He was 27-47 at FAU when he had his guys. Cristobal has never been a OC or DC either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
4 reasons:

Miami guy
Coached at Alabama
Recruits well (recruits South Florida well)
Might understand how offensive lines work

Miami could do much better but Cristobal isn’t awful, he’s just not a game changer. He’s also not insanely incompetent which is always a plus.

4 reasons:

Miami guy
Coached at Alabama
Recruits well (recruits South Florida well)
Might understand how offensive lines work

Miami could do much better but Cristobal isn’t awful, he’s just not a game changer. He’s also not insanely incompetent which is always a plus.

Some people make him seem like he's a elite HC. I've seen more we should of hired Cristobal posts then I can count lol

Advertisement
Some people make him seem like he's a elite HC. I've seen more we should of hired Cristobal posts then I can count lol

Yeah he isn’t elite but he’s a relatively safe hire. I think a guy like Cristobal is a lot like Richt was - he’s probably very much limited by the weakest links on his staff. It’s not like Cristobal is some guru or genius in any part of running a football team - he’s just appears competent in all aspects.

Cristobal is so far 19-7 as the Oregon HC. He was blessed by inheriting an elite QB and a top 5 O-Line. Cristobal always struggles in the biggest games and he's only 10-2 with a playoff caliber Roster. The majority of his starters are Juniors and Seniors. He was 27-47 at FAU when he had his guys. Cristobal has never been a OC or DC either.
Why is this fan base obsessed with being obsessed?

Go Canes!!!!!

Advertisement
If you were put all the truly legitimate candidates Miami could go after, like no Meyer or coaches who have won at legit schools, how many candidates would be better? You’ve had two coaches who have failed as HC their first time being a HC, failed with the “young up and comer” and failed with the P5 retread. Mario has some positives, he would probably be the best recruiter Miami has had in 20 years, he’s been successful at Oregon relative to where they are nationally and he’d understand Miami’s unique culture. He may not be the second coming of JJ but compared to the truly legitimate candidates, he’s at the top.

Yeah he isn’t elite but he’s a relatively safe hire. I think a guy like Cristobal is a lot like Richt was - he’s probably very much limited by the weakest links on his staff. It’s not like Cristobal is some guru or genius in any part of running a football team - he’s just appears competent in all aspects.
Maybe that’s what our program needs. A leader at HC not some offensive or defensive guru just passing along other duties to coordinaters. But that reminds me of golden yikes

He's a 9-10 win a year coach for better or worse. The roster he had at Oregon should of went 12-0 this season or at least 11-1

Advertisement
Advertisement
I mean...if you don't understand the connection, idk what to tell you.

He's not a bum coach...and we likely would be better than we've been if we had Mario all these years. He's just not a great coach.

I'm not a Mario guy at all (check the logs, I've long not wanted him and think it'd be a lazy hire), but I've come around on him a bit. I think he'd be a great GUY BEFORE THE GUY if Miami were to ever become great again. I think he'll get us back to having elite recruiting classes and talent on the roster. We might top out at 10-2 with some Coastal titles with Mario, but he'd get us a ton of talent and if the timing is right, maybe the next guy could get us a championship with his talent.

He's got some Butch Davis to him...in both the best and worst ways.

Mario?!? Are you obsessed with Mario? Mario?!?

Mario?!? Is that why you started another thread about Mario? Mario?!?

Mario?!?

Mario?!?

Advertisement
Back