Why is this fan base obsessed with Mario Cristobal?

I trade Mario for Shanny anyday though.

Again, would you prefer a **** sandwich or a gristly fatty burger? The burger of course. But it is not a perfectly cooked filet or strip steak is it? People here want to settle for a gristly fatty burger, when we should be expecting more. So beaten down that you will be force fed almost anything to get the **** taste out of your mouth. However, 8, 9 or 10 wins a season will not satisfy your long term hunger.

Advertisement
The logic for wanting Mario for sane people is he knows how to recruit here and he’s recruited for the best team in the best conf. He knows the (winning) culture not the fake swag crap manny discusses. Hire Campbell or Clarke you take a step back in recruiting. Ignore his fiu stint! He reached his ceiling there. He got fired cause Pete Garcia thinks they’re Boise st. Or Memphis. Facts are he’s increased his win total every year he’s been at a power 5 that’s good enough for me. Next coach has to be a known recruiting commodity.

Recruited better? Where is our QB? Thin at WR. OL is a mess. LB depth non existent almost. DL has declined. CB's and the entire team is slow. If this is good recruiting we need to rethink our philosophy. This is in no way an excuse for the horrid coRching of Manny and his staff, as the talent was better than the putrid ACC, but it was not great. We need someone that can evaluate and project talent, and that has not happened since Butch.

Richt recruited better than Golden & Shannon. Comparing Richt to Butch isn't fair. There's been maybe 3 or 4 guys the last 20 years that could recruit on the same level as Butch.

Because cristobal is an elite recruiter and will never have an offensive line problem either, he knows how to run a high level program. He’s better in every facet when comparing him to Diaz and it isn’t close

There is an obsession with Cristobal because we're generally obsessed with former UM players coaching here, as if that is the magic recipe to bring UM football back to relevancy. Same reason we clamor for a coaching staff with Ed Reed, Ken Dorsey, Chud, etc.

Advertisement
Mario is the type of coach I can only see having success at a major program if he's handed a well oiled machine. We need a program builder and I dont think thats what Mario is.

Because cristobal is an elite recruiter and will never have an offensive line problem either, he knows how to run a high level program. He’s better in every facet when comparing him to Diaz and it isn’t close

Except for their wins and losses as a head coach. Even Golden has a better career winning percentage.

Let's talk about Mario Cristobal's amazing OL at Oregon filled with 4 seniors, and then the key back-up a senior as well.

Maybe we should talk about how he returned 18 starters and his record against winning teams this year is 3-2.

This is the number one problem with our fanbase. We obsess over former Miami guys like they will be the next great head coach. I'm curious though, which "great" Miami head coach ever played at Miami? I'll wait.

Although being a Miami guy is not a pre-requisite for success (Howard, Jimmie, Dennis), its a plus if you can add National Championship at Miami as a player and then Bama as coach. Then coaching success at FIU and now at Oregon.

The real key is recruiting which he can do.

Advertisement
In retrospect, I think we should have taken Mario over Manny.

If it failed, we’d probably still be able to grab Manny from Temple in 2021. And the buyout would have been lower.

Cristobal is so far 19-7 as the Oregon HC. He was blessed by inheriting an elite QB and a top 5 O-Line. Cristobal always struggles in the biggest games and he's only 10-2 with a playoff caliber Roster. The majority of his starters are Juniors and Seniors. He was 27-47 at FAU when he had his guys. Cristobal has never been a OC or DC either.
Same way the board is obsessed with every player we didn't recruit. How many threads on that Tutu kid from Louisville who scored a referee assisted touchdown against us and nothing else while we blew them out?

Only thing we know about this year is Manny and the staff to put it kindly stunk, and it better get way better. No one knows if it will or it won't. No one knows if he will clean house or not with the staff. No one knows if they stay will they be better.

Just like everyone paying for banners to get Butch run out of here knew it would come good. Jimmy would have been crucified on this board for his first season. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
I’m not a huge Mario guy, but him along with a lot of guys who have coached in power 5 and had some success and know how to run a program would do well here. Not saying he or others like him would come in and win a ship but an experienced guy would come in here and have us playing competent football and have us finishing the season ranked in the bottom half of the top 25 with 8-9 wins yearly. That’s step one.
We aren’t getting any sure thing head coaches at the moment with the long term dysfunction that has been going on here. What we need to do is steady the ship, get back to at least appearing in the top 25 and finishing in the top 25 consistently. Then at that point we can lure a guy in to take us to the next level.

We have not hired one credible, experienced power 5 coach since this debacle started aside from Richt, who was burned out.
But even a guy like Richt who was clearly out of gas and made questionable hires proved the fact that a guy with some experience, even if burned out, can have a little success here just by literally knowing how to run a program.

Despite all the issues with a Richt we still had the best season and highest post season ranking since 2004. Every other coach we have hired has had little to no experience and we have seen how that has played out, only 3 post season rankings since 2005 (2 of the 3 under burned out Richt)

If we just collectively understood that nobody is coming into save us and have us competing in the playoffs right away and our admin simply hired an experienced coach that knows what they are doing, we would see enormous progress.

If that person doesn’t take the next step, our program would be a lot more marketable to bring in a top tier coach after the program went back to shooting par consistently.

I don’t think Mario is some monster but I do believe if he was the coach here we would at minimum recruit well, win 8-9 wins per year and consistently appear in the rankings. Considering what we have seen for the last 15+ years I would take that in a heartbeat. We need actual progress, we aren’t going from 3 ranked seasons in the last 15 years to playoff contenders unless we get a miracle and hire a guy like Urban. Isn’t going to happen. Instead, we need to not hire coordinators with no experience as HC and grab someone who knows what the **** they’re doing

Because Miami fans are generally retarded.

And apparently Columbus High has a very crowded special ed progrum that only teaches a version of math that equates its graduates as the solution to every problem at the University of Miami.

(1 Luigi + 1 Joaquin)(1 Zo/1 Marcus Lemonis) = Miami Football is Great Again!

*E > W in this equation

Advertisement
Again, would you prefer a **** sandwich or a gristly fatty burger? The burger of course. But it is not a perfectly cooked filet or strip steak is it? People here want to settle for a gristly fatty burger, when we should be expecting more. So beaten down that you will be force fed almost anything to get the **** taste out of your mouth. However, 8, 9 or 10 wins a season will not satisfy your long term hunger.

I prefer a top 5 recruiting class and a 10 win season over this **** show we have. The Urbans, Rileys, and Day's aren't coming here. But if we have a guy bringing top talent then maybe the next guy that comes can be of that caliber. The sad truth is that the next guy probably won't be the guy either because this is not a **** job at the moment.

Dont forget about the "Butch Davis is football God" Crew :rolleyes:. But Mario, I've always liked Luigi he's taller lol

Advertisement
Richt recruited better than Golden & Shannon. Comparing Richt to Butch isn't fair. There's been maybe 3 or 4 guys the last 20 years that could recruit on the same level as Butch.

That is debatable. Did you not see the class Richt has on tap last season. Again, where is our QB and the other positions we so sorely are missing. Remember Jon flying to Cali numerous times only to get left at the altar? Hate to tell you but Richts best year was with a majority of Goldens players or kids recruited by Golden. Sobering isn't it?

Butch was great at evaluating, but there are others out there that can evaluate talent, not just drop bags. If we can consistently drop bags for 4 and 5 star players we will have the depth and talent to win. If not Mario will not win here, we need someone else. Even with the said talent, I doubt Mario can beat a Saban, Dabo or Urban type coach.

That is debatable. Did you not see the class Richt has on tap last season. Again, where is our QB and the other positions we so sorely are missing. Remember Jon flying to Cali numerous times only to get left at the altar? Hate to tell you but Richts best year was with a majority of Goldens players or kids recruited by Golden. Sobering isn't it?

Butch was great at evaluating, but there are others out there that can evaluate talent, not just drop bags. If we can consistently drop bags for 4 and 5 star players we will have the depth and talent to win. If not Mario will not win here, we need someone else. Even with the said talent, I doubt Mario can beat a Saban, Dabo or Urban type coach.

It's definitely debatable. I think Richt's recruiting was only slightly better - not significantly. I think people really underestimate the effect "The Cloud" had on Golden's ability to recruit while he was here.

But you could say Golden's best year with with Shannons recruits. He won 9 games with Stephen Morris/Duke Johnson/Allen Hurns.

If Richt was coaching this year - could he have beaten teams like FIU, Duke, GT, and UNC to get to 10 wins with "his guys"? Definitely debatable - but not that far of a stretch.

QB's - Golden landed Kaaya, who went 6-7 as a Freshman on an offense that had Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett, and Ereck Flowers. So is Jarren Williams winning 6 games as a Freshman with Deejay Dallas, KJ Osborne, and Zion Williamson that much different?

It's definitely debatable. I think Richt's recruiting was only slightly better - not significantly. I think people really underestimate the effect "The Cloud" had on Golden's ability to recruit while he was here.

But you could say Golden's best year with with Shannons recruits. He won 9 games with Stephen Morris/Duke Johnson/Allen Hurns.

If Richt was coaching this year - could he have beaten teams like FIU, Duke, GT, and UNC to get to 10 wins with "his guys"? Definitely debatable - but not that far of a stretch.

QB's - Golden landed Kaaya, who went 6-7 as a Freshman on an offense that had Duke Johnson, Phillip Dorsett, and Ereck Flowers. So is Jarren Williams winning 6 games as a Freshman with Deejay Dallas, KJ Osborne, and Zion Williamson that much different?

Well you said that Richt was better, now slightly better, not significantly, so I am not sure of the point you intended.

Our team is very slow with major holes, how did Richt help with this? I was speaking with my son about this, he mentioned how people are all about our S&C coaches, but look at our development in that category and it is still lacking. He feels if is poor recruiting and projection. He is on this board, if he sees this post I welcome him to chime in so he can be more specific to our conversation.

Don't forget Shannon had the #1 class at one point. Why did it not work out, who knows, perhaps coaching, perhaps inflated talent projections, perhaps players that thought they could walk on campus and coast to the NFL.

Well you said that Richt was better, now slightly better, not significantly, so I am not sure of the point you intended.

Our team is very slow with major holes, how did Richt help with this? I was speaking with my son about this, he mentioned how people are all about our S&C coaches, but look at our development in that category and it is still lacking. He feels if is poor recruiting and projection. He is on this board, if he sees this post I welcome him to chime in so he can be more specific to our conversation.

Don't forget Shannon had the #1 class at one point. Why did it not work out, who knows, perhaps coaching, perhaps inflated talent projections, perhaps players that thought they could walk on campus and coast to the NFL.

A general drawback on this board if if someone says one thing or player is better - people assume they mean it's by a wide margin. I think Golden was a better coach than Shannon. I don't think it's by a wide margin, and I don't think either were good - but I do think Golden was better. I'd also have no issue if someone thought Shannon was better than Golden. I feel the same way when I say Richt's recruiting was better than Golden's.

Recruiting ranking are best guess projections - and not always a true reflection of talent.

2008 - Patrick Peterson #6 overall player, Brandon Harris #25 overall player
2014 - Dalvin Cook #13 overall player, Joe Yearby #45 overall player
2018 - James Cook #41 overall player

All are ranked similary on paper - but there's a world of difference between Peterson & Harris, and Dalvin Cook & James Cook/Yearby.

Sometimes Miami just can't close that top player. Sometimes the coaches don't evaluate a player correctly.

IMO - if we can turn 1 more top player a year that everyone is after - like a Cook, Jeudy, etc. (which requires being a great recruiter/salesman), and uncovering 1 more underrated hidden gem each year - like a Njoku, Rousseau, etc. (which requires good talent evaluation) - then you've got 2-4 more big time playmakers on the field in a 2 year period, and that can cover up holes in coaching real quick. A big time QB could turn things around immediately as well. But all those things are much easier said than done.

Advertisement
Back