Why I trust Coach D'Onofrio....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's such a stupid way to look at things. "Oh we won so nothing is wrong and nothing can be improved upon."

It's called being a well adjusted person. It would be a stupid way to look at things from a coaching perspective, but all of us are fans that have no impact on the team. We might only get 5 more wins this year, enjoy each one while you can (I'm still predicting 10-2, but the 6-6 camp has valid points as well).

It's one thing to point out concerns(because there are many), but the entire board is in half a meltdown right now after a win.

Advertisement
Let's hire Jon Tenuta and blitz every **** play.

You can't mask a lack of talent and inexperience with exotic blitzes and ****. We have 12 first/second year players on the defensive line, new LBs who don't know where to be, and a young secondary.

It's going to take time.

I hear you able... my argument is if we had 11 seniors on defense and a boatload of nfl draft picks we would still be playing this defense..you know im right..onofrio has to go

What kind of defense should we be playing?

People hated Shannon's cover 2 man under schemes, but now that's supposed to fix our problems?

D'Onofrio's scheme will work fine when guys can get off blocks, and linebackers and safeties know who they're supposed to cover.

Thats the problem you think their are only two defenses.. there are many types of zones..many types of man...the one we run sucks donkey balls......... How about bring the safety down and leave one safety over the top? What wrs were we scared of that we had to play our safeties so deep...

I don't think there are only two defenses. I was simply asking what should we be running?

I mentioned Shannon's scheme because a lot of people are asking for press man.

I'll have to go back and watch again, but it looked like we mixed things up. But when you have Tyrone Cornelius turning a RB out of the backfield loose on a swing pass, it's hard for me to get too frustrated with the scheme.

It's been YEARS since we've seen the play Denzel Perryman made. Guys just need to get more comfortable in zone. If they can't play this "simple" zone, how are they going to play something more complex?

The same thing Armbrister was doing on the first play of the game, not even acting like he was supposed to cover the h-back in the flat.

Its just crazy how it almost looked like they told the linebackers to not even check the guy.

And people want to talk about talent or scheme, but none of thosse things matter if they don't cover the most basic routes. It doesn't matter how good or bad the dline is if the back can just come out of the backfield with nary a look from the linebackers.

That's such a stupid way to look at things. "Oh we won so nothing is wrong and nothing can be improved upon."

It's called being a well adjusted person. It would be a stupid way to look at things from a coaching perspective, but all of us are fans that have no impact on the team. We might only get 5 more wins this year, enjoy each one while you can (I'm still predicting 10-2, but the 6-6 camp has valid points as well).

It's one thing to point out concerns(because there are many), but the entire board is in half a meltdown right now after a win.

We are on a message board about Miami football. We are discussing every aspect of the game. That is why everyone came here.......

Advertisement
One game. A defense full of freshmen and some of you guys want Coach D gone? Yikes. Ridiculous.

Let's hire Jon Tenuta and blitz every **** play.

You can't mask a lack of talent and inexperience with exotic blitzes and ****. We have 12 first/second year players on the defensive line, new LBs who don't know where to be, and a young secondary.

It's going to take time.

I hear you able... my argument is if we had 11 seniors on defense and a boatload of nfl draft picks we would still be playing this defense..you know im right..onofrio has to go

What kind of defense should we be playing?

People hated Shannon's cover 2 man under schemes, but now that's supposed to fix our problems?

D'Onofrio's scheme will work fine when guys can get off blocks, and linebackers and safeties know who they're supposed to cover.

Thats the problem you think their are only two defenses.. there are many types of zones..many types of man...the one we run sucks donkey balls......... How about bring the safety down and leave one safety over the top? What wrs were we scared of that we had to play our safeties so deep...

I don't think there are only two defenses. I was simply asking what should we be running?

I mentioned Shannon's scheme because a lot of people are asking for press man.

I'll have to go back and watch again, but it looked like we mixed things up. But when you have Tyrone Cornelius turning a RB out of the backfield loose on a swing pass, it's hard for me to get too frustrated with the scheme.

It's been YEARS since we've seen the play Denzel Perryman made. Guys just need to get more comfortable in zone. If they can't play this "simple" zone, how are they going to play something more complex?

but what about the time he turned the back loose and covered the TE? no one else was there to cover the TE. either way we were going to give up an easy completion for a lot of yards. we had LBs playing center field on certain plays. or how many times Cookie or Cornelius was supposed to cover the slot WR. That's setting up a mismatch for the offense. once a decent OC sees that they just line up the slot a little wider. now that LB is no help against the run and is trying to cover WRs. that's scheme not players.

Advertisement
I'm as concerned about the defense as anyone. But, I just keep reminding myself that D'Onofrio improved Temple's defense 5 straight years. That can't be an accident. We're just going to have faith in the staff and give it time.

While I understand the freshman aspect of our defense. A guy like Buchanan should ******* know that the RB is his assignment. Maybe D'Nofrio isn't explaining **** clearly, because this is **** you learn in HS.

this is his 2nd year when are we gonna stop giving him excuses? His philosophy is vanilla. And he doesnt have a feel for when to blitz...Ive seen this time after time.. He blitzes out of desperation. He's reactive not proactive. Thats a passive bytch, i dont need a Tenuta or anything, but cmon

I ain't worried yet.

1. going into the 1st game of the season on the road against a new O.C with a bunch of unknown quantities in the 2 deep.
2. Early on the defense was plain vanilla. You do this to see how players perform irrespective of masking abilities with scheme. Can the DLINE get pressure on their own? Can the CB's cover when a QB has time to set his feet and scan the field? Can the LB's diagnose plays ?
These are all questions D'onforio had no clue in answering because of the Unkown factor.
3. Once it became evident the defense was struggling play vanilla D, he adjusted. The Perryman pick 6 was a result of an adjustment.
4. There is a ton of player rotation, more than usual, which causes some confusion. They did this to evaluate who rises to the top and who doesn't. Keep in mind we didn't open with Sisters of the Blind like others did. We opened up on the road against a tough ACC opponent. Would you guys have been happier to see us open with Bethune and whipping them 57-10? Not me.
5. The coverage mistakes committed are correctable.
6. Last year we started off in similar fashion however improved greatly as the year went on. We have 2 back-to-back OOC games to get the defense in check. And our next ACC game is against a one dimensional GT team that we stopped stone cold last year.

Due to the above I'm not really sweating it. I'm just thrilled we were able to leave Chestnut Hill with a much needed win.
Sure there is lots of work to be done but I have trust in Golden and staff will get the issues corrected in time.

Advertisement

SMH

"D’Onofrio, Franklin and Williams led an Owls defense that ranked 17th nationally in total defense this year, 14th nationally in pass defense, 15th in pass efficiency defense and 16th in scoring defense."

That's a quote from Espn when golden was hired by Miami. Those are pretty amazing rankings. Now temple was in the MAC so the players golden had was equivalent to their competition. The only advantage golden had was that he had better recruiting classes than the other teams in the MAC. Franklin coached Muhammad Wilkerson to the NFL.

I don't know if it's the coaching or the Players and while my doubts about coach D with every game that passes (just as a fan and observer who knows little about schemes) I truly hope I'm wrong and we end up with a great defense.

Temple was winning because of the defense. Their offensive coordinator was horrible. So all I mentioned above hopefully means we have a great defensive staff that will turn things around cause Lord knows they aren't going anywhere for a long time.

One game. A defense full of freshmen and some of you guys want Coach D gone? Yikes. Ridiculous.

It's insane. The D is loaded with first timers. Talk to me in week 9 and 10 about how coach D is doing.

Advertisement

This. besides the first 2 td's where you could see the whole defense had a little stage fright they played a bend but dont break attitude and for the most part held when needed

Buch bit hard on that inside play fake. I'm sorry I say cut his pt in half and make some room for armbrister or ej. A senior a 5th year senior with countless hours of bC film to study should not be biting this hard on inside play fake. sorry!

Buch needs to sit GIVE a young gun a shot @ KSU. I do LIKE buch speed though have him rush the passer on 3rd and 6+

this is his 2nd year when are we gonna stop giving him excuses? His philosophy is vanilla. And he doesnt have a feel for when to blitz...Ive seen this time after time.. He blitzes out of desperation. He's reactive not proactive. Thats a passive bytch, i dont need a Tenuta or anything, but cmon

Everyone is missing my point. Do you think Nick Saban let's his Defensive Coordinator run the show all by himself? Bill Belichick? NO......these guys are running the best defense they see fit for THEIR TEAM, because they are defensive guys.

I'm sure Golden is the same way. Golden is signing off on this defense because I'm sure he thinks this is the best way he feels this team can be successful NOW. Trust me......I know it can get painful to watch and I want to fire coaches as quick as the next guy but think a little about this one.

We'll continue to get better on defense......Golden will make sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back