Why don't we run more?

I agree we need to run some more, especially the way DeeJay is running.

I think the VT game where we basically abandoned the run altogether skews the stats a little. Outside of VT, we're a little more 50/50.

UVA was interesting with Deejay getting 13 carries & Cam getting 2. That's by far the widest gap in carries this year, so the coaches may be leaning on DeeJay as a more of a workhorse moving forward.

Advertisement
Stacking the box. We play tight and haven’t proven we can make a team pay for aimlessly blitzing in those situations.

Those hitches we ran at the end of the game is a perfect check at the line in those situations

The only thing are o-line may do worse then pass blocking is run blocking. Most of DJs good runs have been because of great effort in breaking a tackle, hardly ever because a hole opens up. On 3rd and short we cannot get any push and end up getting stuffed. Spread it out and pass first to set up the run game.

Advertisement
Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing yards called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?
Because Diaz and Enos are corches. Plain and simple! Nothing more to analyze because that’s the answer.

Because yet again we have a staff that thinks they are the smartest guys in the room!!! Yea let’s keep blaming the players for not ”executing” those failed plays before they even happen. #wecursed
Sorry, when you see OL standing around looking for somebody to block and the QBs in the dirt, that's execution. Whatever you think of Enos, he didn't draw up a play that had anyone just standing around.

Advertisement
For all the false gripes against Enos, IMO this is the most valid. Don't understand it.

Miami is only rushing the ball 43.5% of the time. That's 115th in the country. Conversely, we are 16th in the nation in passing play percentage (56.5%).

Why are we passing so much? We know our offensive line has pass protection issues. Any offensive line would rather run block. Why not put them in a position to do what they do best?

Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively (111th in yards per attempt). But that stat is useless because it includes sacks. Our lead tailback, Deejay Dallas, is rushing at an outstanding 6.7 yards per carry. Camron Harris hasn't gotten going but has had several game-changing runs called back. Why not give them more chances to make big plays?

@DMoney I want you to look up the statistics on how many of our run plays get stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage D.
Our stuff rate is 26.4% that ranks 126th in the NATION. I agree with you that we need to run the ball more but the real question is how do we do it with these O-Line stats?

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 12.27.27 PM.png

IMG_20191009_115613.jpg

Advertisement
@DMoney I want you to look up the statistics on how many of our run plays get stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage D.
Our stuff rate is 26.4% that ranks 126th in the NATION. I agree with you that we need to run the ball more but the real question is how do we do it with these O-Line stats?

Yes, but our sack percentage is 127th.

What's striking to me is how out of whack we are. We are one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation. I don't understand why it is so disproportionate.

When we just line up and say “here it comes” we might as well save the time and just bring in the Aussie.

I don't want to bring in Irvin and Parrott and just try to beat teams up. But let's spread out and run like we did in the Pitt game last year.

View attachment 99405

View attachment 99401
We have to run hard at the defense off the back of the short passing game from shotgun.

I keep saying it, but the inside zone we ran under Richt and practiced so much would really help us situationally now, especially with the athletic ability of th quarterbacks.

We need to run more in second and medium but throw more in 3rd and short with better route combinations.

We can’t keep taking sacks from the under center play action on first and second down.

After we started attacking the off coverage with quick passes, Dallas started busting runs. The quick passes make linebackers play more honest and give an extra split second to get an offensive lineman to the second level.

We probably won’t be good in short yardage but who knows what we happen if we ran straight at the defense without delay. Those lateral runs and delayed handoffs get ran down a lot over multiple games.

if it’s the opinion of two separate people it’s not hypocrisy

When two separate people say "Enos sucks" and one says we should run more while the other says we should pass more, it's either hypocrisy or sheer stupidity.

Advertisement
Sorry, when you see OL standing around looking for somebody to block and the QBs in the dirt, that's execution. Whatever you think of Enos, he didn't draw up a play that had anyone just standing around.
Show me a coach who has ever drawn up a play where the OL is standing around looking for someone to block while the QB gets pile driven into the turf. None of them design plays like that.

Ultimately, the good ones find a way to get their players to execute what they’re teaching, and the bad ones don’t. The bane of the failing coach is always, “The players aren’t executing!”.

Show me a coach who has ever drawn up a play where the OL is standing around looking for someone to block while the QB gets pile driven into the turf. None of them design plays like that.

Ultimately, the good ones find a way to get their players to execute what they’re teaching, and the bad ones don’t. The bane of the failing coach is always, “The players aren’t executing!”.

So why don't the great coaches ever start off winning right off the bat? Why do new coaches immediately turn the roster over? Why don't they just teach the guys who are there?

How does Gary Patterson go from 4-8 to 12-1 to 11-2 to 6-7 in a four year period?

"Some would argue that we are not rushing the ball effectively". And those people would be right. If we run out of the shotgun/spread I'm all for it. If we try to run slow developing plays from under center out of the power I we're going to get stuffed at the LOS.

Advertisement
Back