Why don't we have depth at RB?

We’ve been playing cam and Deejay both all year..Both literally have 73 attempts on the year....you can’t be just making up **** in 2019 bro..info is only a click away🤣
Okay so let's do the math. They both have 73 attempts. 73+73= 146. We have played 8 games. 146÷8 = 18. So, our running backs, combined, are only running the ball an average of 18 times a game. That is pathetic. We have a play action offense that doesnt run the ball....

Advertisement
This where the depth at RB vs. a coaches trust/preference in certain RB's becomes a gray area IMO.

In 2017 Richt played Walton almost exclusively over Homer. Then Walton gets hurt and Homer gets all the carries while Deejay switched to RB and picked up the position. But we did have Choc the whole time - they just choose not to ever use him. I feel like Burns is getting the Choc treatment.

I mean - Gus Edwards already has more carries in the NFL than he did at Miami.

It's not necessarily a talent thing. There's just only so many carries, and coaches have their preferences.

It's almost exclusively a politics thing with this staff and the last. This staff is even worse.

1CFA4A60-3EF7-4CB3-ACA9-FEBD2B20F663.png

Okay so let's do the math. They both have 73 attempts. 73+73= 146. We have played 8 games. 146÷8 = 18. So, our running backs, combined, are only running the ball an average of 18 times a game. That is pathetic. We have a play action offense that doesnt run the ball....
If you at the context of the games, and situations..WE CANT RUN THE FOOTBALL ON A CONSISTENT BASIS..plus when u get behind early your gonna throw the ball..we are at 251/276 run/pass split overall

Advertisement
This where the depth at RB vs. a coaches trust/preference in certain RB's becomes a gray area IMO.

In 2017 Richt played Walton almost exclusively over Homer. Then Walton gets hurt and Homer gets all the carries while Deejay switched to RB and picked up the position. But we did have Choc the whole time - they just choose not to ever use him. I feel like Burns is getting the Choc treatment.

I mean - Gus Edwards already has more carries in the NFL than he did at Miami.

It's not necessarily a talent thing. There's just only so many carries, and coaches have their preferences.
Are you insinuating that Choc was better than Homer and Walton

Are you insinuating that Choc was better than Homer and Walton

I'm not saying Choc was better - I'm saying the talent gap wasn't that wide as the amount of carries indicated.

Walton wasn't so much better than Homer, that Homer shouldn't have been getting any carries when he was 2nd string to Walton. Similarly, Homer probably wasn't so much better than Choc, that Choc shouldn't have been getting any carries when he was 2nd string to Homer.

Same with Burns now. I think Cam is better than Burns - but it's not such a huge gap in talent that Cam should get all the carries and Burns gets none.

Just because the coaches haven't given Burns any carries once Deejay got hurt doesn't necessarily mean Burns isn't good enough.

I'm not saying Choc was better - I'm saying the talent gap wasn't that wide as the amount of carries indicated.

Walton wasn't so much better than Homer, that Homer shouldn't have been getting any carries when he was 2nd string to Walton. Similarly, Homer probably wasn't so much better than Choc, that Choc shouldn't have been getting any carries when he was 2nd string to Homer.

Same with Burns now. I think Cam is better than Burns - but it's not such a huge gap in talent that Cam should get all the carries and Burns gets none.

Just because the coaches haven't given Burns any carries once Deejay got hurt doesn't necessarily mean Burns isn't good enough.
Running Backs don’t get subbed in just to get carries. A position coach is ultimately in charge of who comes in and out the game and most times it’s not based on the play call. It’s based on fatigue, maybe a injury a guy needs a blow. Now the running back position is about rthym and feel also. So shuffling 3 or 4 guys in and out isn’t fair imo.
But he gripes your making rn especially the one involving Deejay, Homer and choc..or evening Walton, Homer, and choc..those arguments are useless..in 17 Walton went down, Homer stepped in and Deejay was moved from slot to RB..in 18 Deejay and Travis carried the load. Most teams do not rotate 3 backs at all

If you at the context of the games, and situations..WE CANT RUN THE FOOTBALL ON A CONSISTENT BASIS..plus when u get behind early your gonna throw the ball..we are at 251/276 run/pass split overall

We don’t run well in short yardage.

We are very inconsistent with the outside zone, toss, and power plays from under center.

We do the most damage with the inside zone from shotgun, but we barely run it.

Most of our east-west running gets stuffed and puts us in long yardage situations. We are best when we go straight at the defense.

There are many situations that we throw on 2nd and medium when we should call aggressive north-south runs.

There is a lot wrong with the offense that goes beyond poor offensive line play.

Advertisement
Running Backs don’t get subbed in just to get carries. A position coach is ultimately in charge of who comes in and out the game and most times it’s not based on the play call. It’s based on fatigue, maybe a injury a guy needs a blow. Now the running back position is about rthym and feel also. So shuffling 3 or 4 guys in and out isn’t fair imo.
But he gripes your making rn especially the one involving Deejay, Homer and choc..or evening Walton, Homer, and choc..those arguments are useless..in 17 Walton went down, Homer stepped in and Deejay was moved from slot to RB..in 18 Deejay and Travis carried the load. Most teams do not rotate 3 backs at all

I'm not talking about rotating 3 or 4 RB's when everyone's healthy - I'm talking about the RB rotation when we only have 2

Here's the breakdown of carries when we basically had 2 RB's available:

2017 - Walton 29 / Homer 3 (1st 2 ACC games)
2017 - Homer 56 / Choc 3 (Next 2 ACC games after Walton got hurt, before Deejay was getting carries at RB)
2019 - Cam 34 / Burns 1 (2 games where Deejay was hurt)

The big gap in carries makes it look like it's because there's a big gap in talent. I'm saying the gap in carries is more reflective of the coaches preference than actual gap in talent. So just because Burns only has 1 carry since Deejay got hurt doesn't mean we have no "depth".

This is going to get ugly. That’s screenshot I just posted is his dad (or uncle) on a Facebook post from this morning. It looks like he basically called manny a liar....
Well, that's family and you can't control what they do. Perhaps since DJ was out, they feel Lo should play. If he's ready to go, then he should because he can play in 4 games and still redshirt. IDK, if he wants to play and the family is on board, then play him in 3 regular season games plus the bowl game.

Advertisement
Back