Why do you still root for the U?

Watched them beat the **** out of my home town Tennessee Vols in 2002 and haven't went back since. I was on edge of being a Miami and Tennessee fan from like 98-02 but that game took the cake

Can't ******* stand the Vols anymore but I hope we dont plan on playing them, they would kick our ***

Advertisement
That 02 Tenn game shook me of the notion of southern hospitality.
Their fans are trash (TRASH!) and it made watching the team demolish them
that much sweeter.

I don't like anyone else... First college fb team I've seen... **** everybody else.... BTW **** um for making me feel this way too

I remember going to games when the thought of a national title in football would earn you an admission into a mental institution. I've seen 5 of them. Not going to worry about the down times because they come and go. That doesnt mean not to demand accountability, but the fatalism in threads like this is silly.

That 02 Tenn game shook me of the notion of southern hospitality.
Their fans are trash (TRASH!) and it made watching the team demolish them
that much sweeter.

I remember it was college gameday in knoxville and I was only 11 years old and wearing a Miami jacket and walked through the tailgate area and had like 30 and 40 years olds cussing me out and had some stuff threw at me. I'm from there and had been to multiple games before and wore Tennessee stuff but watched them treating other fans pretty well. That game though, it was bad I do remember

Advertisement
Anyone even entertaining the idea of rooting for another team was never a fan in the first place. Don't let the door hit your sorry asses on the way out.

I've been a Canes and a Cincinnati Bengals fan for over 2 decades, since I was a young kid.

I've repeatedly asked my parents if i ever had a head accident at any time when i was a child. They hold firm in their stance that nothing of the sort ever happened.

The only logical conclusion I can come up with:

I was Hitler, Stalin or some sort of pedophile in a former life and this is part of my eternal punishment to make penance.

Advertisement
Anyone even entertaining the idea of rooting for another team was never a fan in the first place. Don't let the door hit your sorry asses on the way out.

LOL. People are fans in different ways, dude. I'm not some diehard who's going to be loyal to a team no matter what.... I mean what the **** has that team ever done for you?

It's entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops entertaining you, go find something else that does entertain you.

People who have unfettered loyalty to a football team confuse me. I don't get that mentality. The team, the admin, they don't know who the **** you are, nor do they give a ****. But you're gonna act like you're married to them or something?

LOL dumb IMO. Follow them as long as they entertain you, and when they no longer do, then stop. You don't owe the U anything, just like they'd tell you they don't owe you anthing.

Because they're not a professional franchise, and you just don't change teams (not that I'd change pro teams either). I'll just stop caring.

LOL. People are fans in different ways, dude. I'm not some diehard who's going to be loyal to a team no matter what.... I mean what the **** has that team ever done for you?

It's entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops entertaining you, go find something else that does entertain you.

People who have unfettered loyalty to a football team confuse me. I don't get that mentality. The team, the admin, they don't know who the **** you are, nor do they give a ****. But you're gonna act like you're married to them or something?

LOL dumb IMO. Follow them as long as they entertain you, and when they no longer do, then stop. You don't owe the U anything, just like they'd tell you they don't owe you anthing.

I suggest that you and the other non-fans look up the definition of "fanatic", if you know how...

Advertisement
I chose to in 1979 because they defied the boring, good ole boy world of College Football up to that point...I can't stop believing in the upstart, we will stick your nose in it, original bad boys who outwork everyone else.

Sadly, College Football is going back to the big money powers are the only winners again...Then it will die.

Yes I will still cheer for the Miami but mainly for the players. I am at peace with not having any expectations. So mainly it will be for individual players to do well.

I suggest that you and the other non-fans look up the definition of "fanatic", if you know how...

Fan psychology
Sports

The drivers that make people fans, and in particular sports fans, have been studied by psychologists, such as Dan Wann at Murray State University. They attribute people becoming fans to the following factors:[4] One element is entertainment, because sports spectatorship is a form of leisure. Sports is also a form of escapism, and being a fan gives one an excuse to yell at something, an activity that may be constrained in other areas of one's life. Fan activities give participants a combination of euphoria and stress (about the potential for their team to lose) for which they coin the name "eustress". Fans experience euphoria during moments when play is going well for their team, and stress when play is going against their team. This tension between the two emotions generates an unusual sense of pleasure or heightened sensations.

Aesthetics are another draw for some fans, who appreciate the precision or skill of play, or of the coordinated movement of the players during a pre-planned "play". Family bonding is a reason for some fan activities. Some families go to sports games every month as a family outing to watch a sports event and form a psychological bond with one another as a family. Going to sports events can create a borrowed sense of self-esteem if fans identify with their teams to the extent that they consider themselves to be successful when their teams have been successful (e.g., as seen in the phrase "we have won"). Fangirls or fanboys are described as term in book characters

Loyalty

Fan loyalty is the loyalty felt and expressed by a fan towards the object of his/her fanaticism. Allegiances can be strong or weak. The loyalties of sports fans have been studied by psychologists and have often been reviewed. Fan loyalty can be threatened by team actions.

Advertisement

You were born to be a Cubs fan dude.

I don't know. I really don't.

They've always been my team, for as long as I've HAD a team, **** near 30 years now. They became my team because they were everything that my dad's Ohio State team wasn't. The attitude, the ****iness, the swagger. Later on they gave me my 2 favorite football players ever, K2 and Sean Taylor. It's pretty clear those days are gone, and while the team might someday become relevant again, those days are not coming back, not even a little. It seems unlikely they will ever even have another Winslow or Taylor. I'm a northerner, from Ohio, lived in Pennsylvania for a while. I have no legitimate ties to Miami and no legitimate reason to continue to support them. Haven't for years. Yet I do. And I honestly don't know why.

With recent events, it's definitely something I've been thinking about. Why should I continue to be frustrated and angered week after week when clearly even those in charge simply don't care. Why spend money on them so they can continue to funnel it into everything else they can besides the football program.

I've pretty much stopped caring about the Browns all-together, and NFL football is becoming more and more unwatchable anyway, so it's like, eh. Football on any level just hasn't been the same for me since Sean died. But I do still enjoy the college game, just not Miami. There's not much there to enjoy.

Even though I despise the city of Pittsburgh, I've thought about getting behind them since I am a huge fan of Narduzzi and I think he will be there for a long time and have great success. I certainly want them to do well. But what I've really been thinking is that Oregon is the closest thing to the Canes of old going today, and they would probably be my team if I was a youngin' coming up today. I don't know why it's so hard to cut ties. I'm not sure what I am going to do moving forward. know I'll never root against Miami, but it's actually more likely that I will if I continue to support them, because Golden has to go and things need to change, and if by some miracle they show improvement then we're stuck with him for who knows how long.

Fan psychology
Sports

The drivers that make people fans, and in particular sports fans, have been studied by psychologists, such as Dan Wann at Murray State University. They attribute people becoming fans to the following factors:[4] One element is entertainment, because sports spectatorship is a form of leisure. Sports is also a form of escapism, and being a fan gives one an excuse to yell at something, an activity that may be constrained in other areas of one's life. Fan activities give participants a combination of euphoria and stress (about the potential for their team to lose) for which they coin the name "eustress". Fans experience euphoria during moments when play is going well for their team, and stress when play is going against their team. This tension between the two emotions generates an unusual sense of pleasure or heightened sensations.

Aesthetics are another draw for some fans, who appreciate the precision or skill of play, or of the coordinated movement of the players during a pre-planned "play". Family bonding is a reason for some fan activities. Some families go to sports games every month as a family outing to watch a sports event and form a psychological bond with one another as a family. Going to sports events can create a borrowed sense of self-esteem if fans identify with their teams to the extent that they consider themselves to be successful when their teams have been successful (e.g., as seen in the phrase "we have won"). Fangirls or fanboys are described as term in book characters

Loyalty

Fan loyalty is the loyalty felt and expressed by a fan towards the object of his/her fanaticism. Allegiances can be strong or weak. The loyalties of sports fans have been studied by psychologists and have often been reviewed. Fan loyalty can be threatened by team actions.

That's psychology, not fanaticism. Try again...

Advertisement
Back