Why do you still root for the U?

Advertisement
I love what the U stands for. I love the city of Miami. I love the 305. I love south beach. All I know is this U since a young boy. The greats of this school will always keep me proud and even the guys in this era that's in the league they still represent the U proudly. I love that.

I relate to what they represented. I love The U. Everything about the program. As long as they play I will watch them and invest in them. Also, I own far too much memorabilia of the autographed variety to turn back.

But that team is never coming back. The admin will do everything in their power to make sure that team never comes back. Keeping the kids in line is more important to them than winning, at this juncture.

Advertisement
I guess its me trying to hold onto my childhood memories. I guess Im refusing to believe Al golden could really outlast me. **** you Al.

I relate to what they represented. I love The U. Everything about the program. As long as they play I will watch them and invest in them. Also, I own far too much memorabilia of the autographed variety to turn back.

But that team is never coming back. The admin will do everything in their power to make sure that team never comes back. Keeping the kids in line is more important to them than winning, at this juncture.

At this juncture. Maybe one day, it will be different. Like LuCane said, as long as they exist, I will be a fan.

It's just to much a part of me to ever give up on em. The canes were the first team I chose because I wanted to go to the NFL and as long as I was a cane I would go pro cause that's what the canes did. Now it's a passion not many of my friends understand but whatever, it's a Cane thing.

Been a fan since 83', but now for the first time I don't care.. I can't even get upset about how bad they play.. After the first half of the VA, I haven't watched anymore.. Don't care enough to waste my time anymore.. I would rather watch the penguins mate on animal planet..

I never thought the canes would make me feel the way the dolphins do. I've developed a numbness to watching them to where I expect them to suck. If they surprise me, I won't get my hopes up cause I know deep down that they'll **** it up somehow.

Advertisement
The Hurricanes I grew up watching were about everything I admired as even a little kid:

- ultimate competitiveness
- aggression
- independent attitude
- never back down

We're literally about none of those things now, but the connection runs too deep to sincerely root for anyone else. If we're dead, which we're not, so be it.

That's fine for some people, not everyone thinks that way. Me, I don't think you owe a football team a **** thing.

I mean, I liked McDonalds cheeseburgers when I was a kid, now I prefer a nice steak.

In reality, being a fan is kind of like being a chump. You have literally zero say in the program, and, the only time your voice counts is if you're willing to make someone's pocket a little fatter.

Football is a great sport if you're a player. Or a coach. Or an admin. Those ppl all have skin in the game and get to call the shots. Fans get to sit on the sidelines and cheer.

I guess I'm just done with being a chump fan. Give me a product worth watching and I might pay attention. Or don't, and I'll ignore you just like McDonalds or any other product I don't want.

I guess I just don't understand the undivided loyalty some fans have for a team that doesn't give a single **** about them in return. A lot of ppl think that way.... I just don't get the mentality.

That's your right.

To me, I dont understand the mentality of being a fan (fanatic) of something you treat like a restaurant. I also don't get the cheeseburger/steak analogy. Cheeseburgers probably didn't help mold your mentality or contribute to deep-seated memories. But, again, everyone follows sports for different reasons. It's not a product or entertainment for me. Otherwise, I couldn't justify the amount of time I've spent investing passion into my teams - they all have basically sucked for over a decade.

The Hurricanes I grew up watching were about everything I admired as even a little kid:

- aggression
- independent attitude
- never back down

We're literally about none of those things now, but the connection runs too deep to sincerely root for anyone else. If we're dead, which we're not, so be it.

- aggression
- independent attitude
- never back down

That's fine for some people, not everyone thinks that way. Me, I don't think you owe a football team a **** thing.

I mean, I liked McDonalds cheeseburgers when I was a kid, now I prefer a nice steak.

In reality, being a fan is kind of like being a chump. You have literally zero say in the program, and, the only time your voice counts is if you're willing to make someone's pocket a little fatter.

Football is a great sport if you're a player. Or a coach. Or an admin. Those ppl all have skin in the game and get to call the shots. Fans get to sit on the sidelines and cheer.

I guess I'm just done with being a chump fan. Give me a product worth watching and I might pay attention. Or don't, and I'll ignore you just like McDonalds or any other product I don't want.

I guess I just don't understand the undivided loyalty some fans have for a team that doesn't give a single **** about them in return. A lot of ppl think that way.... I just don't get the mentality.

That's your right.

To me, I dont understand the mentality of being a fan (fanatic) of something you treat like a restaurant. I also don't get the cheeseburger/steak analogy. Cheeseburgers probably didn't help mold your mentality or contribute to deep-seeded memories. But, again, everyone follows sports for different reasons. It's not a product or entertainment for me. Otherwise, I couldn't justify the amount of time I've spent investing passion into my teams - they all have basically sucked for over a decade.

It's not a product to you, but it is a product to the people who own, run, and manage the teams. They only care about winning as long as it improves their business.

I think Miami figured out that even if they win and win big, they still won't fill the stands.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2001 when we destroyed Nebraska. Nebraska fans outnumbered us 10-1, and that's being generous. After the Canes won, the players came and thanked the small contingent of Canes fans who made the trip.

At that moment, I just knew in my gut that we were never going to win another title again. These kids, who just won a national championship, deserved better fan support than they were ever going to get from Canes fans.

And sure enough, in the years that followed the Canes de-emphasized football, and we haven't won a championship since.

Because it's a product, and the fans are a market. The Canes are not a big enough market to justify investing in the program in any meaningful way.

And so, we'll continue to suck for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
I'm a *********.

But seriously, I went to The U. It's in my blood now. Not to mention I feel lucky to have good reason to be a fan of one of the greatest programs ever constructed, with all of its uniqueness and bragadocio.

We could never win another game, and I'd watch and scream and then cry every gameday.

Last edited:
I grew up here. Attended games in the Hendricks years as a young kid. Awesome atmosphere at those Friday night games. Never expected the results to amount to anything. The uptick was phenomenal. I taped as many games as I could and saved them. During the glory years I always viewed them as fragile and destined not to linger. I think my experience as a USC alum aided in the clarity. That program has no many natural advantages that Miami lacks, like the awesome game day atmosphere and events on campus, things that feed into involvement with the school and program. That goes on across the country. Miami thinks it doesn't matter.

I believe in stealing a few percent here and there. We forfeit the vital few percent with the lack of an on-campus venue, and then the deficit exploded once we moved to Sun Life Stadium, a glorified neutral site with a 25+ year tradition of subpar results from the home occupant. The proximity to high school talent can't logically overcome all of our negatives. It requires extra special people at the top to trump those issues, even if briefly. I don't think we'll ever be special again for sustained periods.

The fact that we chose to play in Sun Life screams that not only are the decision makers not of special caliber, it is exactly the opposite. Clueless and overmatched. Therefore they are favorites to be impressed with people who similarly are not special. Psychologists and sociologists report that an overriding truth is that people are attracted to someone on the same basic level as themselves. Marriages are explained along those lines. Hence we have Paul Dee and Co. deciding to dump the Orange Bowl and identify Randy Shannon, and now the more recent alignment with Al Golden and others.

It takes a monumental fluke, if not a string of them, to break the chain. I'll continue to assert that we'll know it is happening when somebody in a powerful position speaks out against Sun Life and refuses to allow the program to remain there, whatever it takes.

Right now I live in Miami more than half the year. I like college sports. I have season tickets to Miami football and basketball. Enjoying the games. I actually have a greater collection of Canes gear than ever.

I'm certainly not going to become a Simplistic Angry Male and pretend I am accomplishing something or impressing anyone by pouting and cursing and staying home.

Last edited:

- aggression
- independent attitude
- never back down

That's your right.

To me, I dont understand the mentality of being a fan (fanatic) of something you treat like a restaurant. I also don't get the cheeseburger/steak analogy. Cheeseburgers probably didn't help mold your mentality or contribute to deep-seeded memories. But, again, everyone follows sports for different reasons. It's not a product or entertainment for me. Otherwise, I couldn't justify the amount of time I've spent investing passion into my teams - they all have basically sucked for over a decade.

It's not a product to you, but it is a product to the people who own, run, and manage the teams. They only care about winning as long as it improves their business.

I think Miami figured out that even if they win and win big, they still won't fill the stands.

I attended the Rose Bowl in 2001 when we destroyed Nebraska. Nebraska fans outnumbered us 10-1, and that's being generous. After the Canes won, the players came and thanked the small contingent of Canes fans who made the trip.

At that moment, I just knew in my gut that we were never going to win another title again. These kids, who just won a national championship, deserved better fan support than they were ever going to get from Canes fans.

And sure enough, in the years that followed the Canes de-emphasized football, and we haven't won a championship since.

Because it's a product, and the fans are a market. The Canes are not a big enough market to justify investing in the program in any meaningful way.

And so, we'll continue to suck for the foreseeable future.

What they (and maybe you) seem(s) to be missing is that, while that may be true in a limited sense, the University's big strategic initiative is to create a Health brand built on innovation. The Football team is potentially their biggest marketing tool and could be a massive brand association for literally millions of people. If you look at the football program in the narrow (revenue - expenses) sense, you're missing out on enormous potential.

Advertisement
My dad went to UM. Started following them when they were worse than this in the 70s. Up until my 30th birthday I was a rabid fan then after that you get more involved in life, bills, work, kids and sh*t got toned down and this was also around the time we started declining.

The last 12 years have sucked, we all know that, but along the way I've gotten to be good friends with other Hurricanes fans and still look forward to seeing them at home games and away games. I still look forward to seeing the old W2 Crew. Now it's the Kings of The Road crew and those of us still from the Canesoverhere crew at the road games. So that's part of my happiness. The game and winning is still very important to me, but I try to enjoy the whole experience. I know we suck, so now it's about my kids (3&5) throwing a football at the tailgates, watching them seeing the band march into the stadium, learning how to properly flash the U, looking for Sebastian & Cane Vader and the rest of the fans that dress up & learning the cheers. I still try to get some drinking in and the whole ambience of a Saturday Hurricanes football win or lose for me is still worth the 2.5 hour drive. I know the herd has thinned out at home. The away games are still fun because I am a die hard college football fan and love seeing different campuses and stadiums. I can't recall the last big away game we won that I went to (this year was Nebraska) but it's still cool seeing different parts of the country, getting together with fans and watching the Canes get booed and hoping they can win.

Hopefully it will get better with the next coach. I still think that football is critical to the university and in this day and age where there are so many options for the consumer dollar, they have to know this is unacceptable. It can't last for much longer. 'm still baffled by the fact that Golden received an extension not based on performance but rather loyalty. With a new president coming in, hopefully there is an emphasis once again on being great both academically and athletically. Go Canes.

Last edited:
I'm a *********.

But seriously, I went to The U. It's in my blood now. Not to mention I feel lucky to have good reason to be a fan of one of the greatest programs ever constructed, with all of its uniqueness and bragadocio.

We could never win another game, and I'd watch and scream and then cry every gameday.

I went to the U as well. That's why I can't root for another college team, as much as I'd like to.

When I was a student, I was so ******* spoiled by our team. I was there for 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003. So I had the mentality that if we lost one game, I wasn't going to care about the rest of the games that year because we had no chance at a national title.

Cause that was the bar at that time.

So from 2003-2005 or so, I watched a couple games a year until we lost our first, then I quit watching. From 2005 onward, I completely lost interest in the Canes. I didn't watch a single game in the Shannon era.

I became intrigued again when Shannon was fired, because I heard that John Gruden might be our next coach. I was like "oh wow, that would be sweet." And I started following message boards. Then, when we hired Golden, he hooked me in with his opening press conference, and I was a believer.

Now, it's evident that Golden sucks, so I'm probably going to be ****ed for a little bit, then I'm going to go back to following the NFL for my football fix and quit supporting this garbage product.

My only regret is that they duped me in to flying to Miami to see the FSU game this year, and a couple more games I've been to in the Golden era. Won't be making that mistake again until they prove they're turning this thing around.

Ive got 2 miami tattoos so im committed.

Also, im not a fair weather fan.

Miami will be back one day. You all know it deep down. Miami cant be killed.

Interesting. As you've only really experienced the decline, you find it hard to believe in a comeback.
I get it but I can assure you that the program has been declared dead and been on life support before
only to rise again to dominate all of CFB. THAT....is the sweetest experience for Cane fans.

I was at the rose bowl that night as well and while you felt it would never be repeated I savored
how sweet it was and compared it to my other national championship cane win experiences.
I can't say I have even an inkling whether it will happen again but if it does - you better ****
well believe I'll be there. Savoring it.......

Advertisement
Back