Why do you still root for the U?

Anyone even entertaining the idea of rooting for another team was never a fan in the first place. Don't let the door hit your sorry asses on the way out.

LOL. People are fans in different ways, dude. I'm not some diehard who's going to be loyal to a team no matter what.... I mean what the **** has that team ever done for you?

It's entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops entertaining you, go find something else that does entertain you.

People who have unfettered loyalty to a football team confuse me. I don't get that mentality. The team, the admin, they don't know who the **** you are, nor do they give a ****. But you're gonna act like you're married to them or something?

LOL dumb IMO. Follow them as long as they entertain you, and when they no longer do, then stop. You don't owe the U anything, just like they'd tell you they don't owe you anthing.

I suggest that you and the other non-fans look up the definition of "fanatic", if you know how...

You were born to be a Cubs fan dude.

At least they understand the concept...

Advertisement
Anyone even entertaining the idea of rooting for another team was never a fan in the first place. Don't let the door hit your sorry asses on the way out.

LOL. People are fans in different ways, dude. I'm not some diehard who's going to be loyal to a team no matter what.... I mean what the **** has that team ever done for you?

It's entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops entertaining you, go find something else that does entertain you.

People who have unfettered loyalty to a football team confuse me. I don't get that mentality. The team, the admin, they don't know who the **** you are, nor do they give a ****. But you're gonna act like you're married to them or something?

LOL dumb IMO. Follow them as long as they entertain you, and when they no longer do, then stop. You don't owe the U anything, just like they'd tell you they don't owe you anthing.

I suggest that you and the other non-fans look up the definition of "fanatic", if you know how...

The concept is whatever you want it to be. You do you and I'll do me dude. Some people want to be die hard fans no matter what. I'm not one of those people.

I'm not hating on your philosophy or saying it's wrong, if anything I'm interested in why some people think that way.

But at the same time, I'm not going down that road myself. Unquestioned loyalty, in my book, is reserved for three things: family, country, and religion.

A football team is like any other brand.... I'm loyal to them as long as they're loyal to me. The minute American Airlines screws me over I'm switching to Delta. The minute the Canes prove that they don't care about winning, I'm switching to the NFL.

It's like Coke and Pepsi in my book. Some people are diehard Coke and will never switch. I don't understand those people.

The Hurricanes I grew up watching were about everything I admired as even a little kid:

- ultimate competitiveness
- aggression
- independent attitude
- never back down

We're literally about none of those things now, but the connection runs too deep to sincerely root for anyone else. If we're dead, which we're not, so be it.

Amen Lu. Add that I am alum. I am all THE U. The problem is this is not THE U any longer. I will not root for another team, but I doubt I will even watch the team on tv next year.

The concept is whatever you want it to be. You do you and I'll do me dude. Some people want to be die hard fans no matter what. I'm not one of those people.

I'm not hating on your philosophy or saying it's wrong, if anything I'm interested in why some people think that way.

But at the same time, I'm not going down that road myself. Unquestioned loyalty, in my book, is reserved for three things: family, country, and religion.

A football team is like any other brand.... I'm loyal to them as long as they're loyal to me. The minute American Airlines screws me over I'm switching to Delta. The minute the Canes prove that they don't care about winning, I'm switching to the NFL.

It's like Coke and Pepsi in my book. Some people are diehard Coke and will never switch. I don't understand those people.

Sports fandom without emotional committment is worthless. Pro sports franchises have become corporate brands....shells in which faceless players rotate around without loyalty to the community in which they exist. College sports are the last bastion of old fashioned fandom...and thats close to teetering out of existance. The ability to switch sports loyalties at the drop of a hat must be a new concept. Above and beyond moving to a new city and becoming a fan with the local team, it doesnt compute with me.

Want my canes back, not some bum D that's soft as he11, and an O that can put 50 on anyone, but in all real talk it's the helmet, but this bum took that away too...

Advertisement
Been a Canes fan for 24 years. I literally joked with to a close friend of mine about this last week (would I be able to claim a new team next year, lol). He gave me a pass if I wanted to jump off the bandwagon (he is a Georgia fan). I'm not leaving though, I can't!!! I could be "root" for another team, but I am a Cane fanatic/diehard. I wouldn't even know how to reprogram myself to support another team.

Sports fandom without emotional committment is worthless. Pro sports franchises have become corporate brands....shells in which faceless players rotate around without loyalty to the community in which they exist. College sports are the last bastion of old fashioned fandom...and thats close to teetering out of existance. The ability to switch sports loyalties at the drop of a hat must be a new concept. Above and beyond moving to a new city and becoming a fan with the local team, it doesnt compute with me.

Why is it worthless? Sports are supposed to be entertainment. Are you that loyal to film studios or restaurants? Watch a movie if it looks good. Eat at a restaurant if the menu appeals to you. Watch a sports team if they're fun to watch.

I don't get the diehard loyalty. What do you get in return?

Me, I watch sports because it's fun to watch great athletes do great things, and I do love the Canes because I went to school there, and I couldn't root for another school I never attended.

But, say with the NFL.... I grew up a Broncos fan in Denver. I went to college in Miami, so I switched to the Dolphins. Then I moved to Wisconsin and picked up the Packers. Then I moved to Chicago for a couple years and picked up the Bears. Now I live in Dallas and root for the Cowboys. I always liked the 49ers because I respected Jerry Rice and Joe Montana and those old teams. So I'm a Broncos/49ers/Packers/Bears/Dolphins/Cowboys fan equally.

It doesn't matter where you live, it's always fun to go to games and root for the home team. And it's not hard to drop/add teams. It's only a product, after all. The Broncos of today are not the John Elway led broncos of my childhood. They don't even look the same. Likewise, today's canes are not the Jimmy Johnson teams of the 80's.

THE OWNERS/ADMIN HAVE AS MUCH RESPONSIBILTY TO EARN YOUR LOYALTY AS YOU DO TO GIVE THEIR TEAM SUPPORT. It's not a one-sided relationship.

LOL. People are fans in different ways, dude. I'm not some diehard who's going to be loyal to a team no matter what.... I mean what the **** has that team ever done for you? It's entertainment, pure and simple. When it stops entertaining you, go find something else that does entertain you. People who have unfettered loyalty to a football team confuse me. I don't get that mentality. The team, the admin, they don't know who the **** you are, nor do they give a ****. But you're gonna act like you're married to them or something?LOL dumb IMO. Follow them as long as they entertain you, and when they no longer do, then stop. You don't owe the U anything, just like they'd tell you they don't owe you anthing.
Sounds like you were born to be a front runner dude.

Canes alum here. I'm still a fan because I love the school.

Advertisement

Why is it worthless? Sports are supposed to be entertainment. Are you that loyal to film studios or restaurants? Watch a movie if it looks good. Eat at a restaurant if the menu appeals to you. Watch a sports team if they're fun to watch.

Me, I watch sports because it's fun to watch great athletes do great things, and I do love the Canes because I went to school there, and I couldn't root for another school I never attended.

But, say with the NFL.... I grew up a Broncos fan in Denver. I went to college in Miami, so I switched to the Dolphins. Then I moved to Wisconsin and picked up the Packers. Then I moved to Chicago for a couple years and picked up the Bears. Now I live in Dallas and root for the Cowboys. I always liked the 49ers because I respected Jerry Rice and Joe Montana and those old teams. So I'm a Broncos/49ers/Packers/Bears/Dolphins/Cowboys fan equally.

It doesn't matter where you live, it's always fun to go to games and root for the home team. And it's not hard to drop/add teams. It's only a product, after all. The Broncos of today are not the John Elway led broncos of my childhood. They don't even look the same. Likewise, today's canes are not the Jimmy Johnson teams of the 80's.

THE OWNERS/ADMIN HAVE AS MUCH RESPONSIBILTY TO EARN YOUR LOYALTY AS YOU DO TO GIVE THEIR TEAM SUPPORT. It's not a one-sided relationship.

So what ur saying is that sports are an exhibition to you. Great. That's your bag. I lost interest in pro basketball because it became just that...an exhibition in which the regular season is meaningless. I lost interest in MLB because they destroyed the things that made the game meaningful to fans with an emotional connection ( I wont go into that here as i could write a novel on that sore point). I go to minor league games now because I enjoy the game of baseball as merely an exhibition.

I would much rather be emotionally connected....live and die, punch the wall and curse or jump for joy with one team I have a lifetime loyalty with than anything else. Sports as an exhibition with fleeting loyalties is fine; I watch some sports that way, but the Canes are alot more than that to me....and I dig that much more than the former.

Last edited:

Yes sports are about entertainment, but the entire idea of being a fan involves loyalty. If you aren't loyal, even to a fault, to a certain team(s) than you aren't a fan. You can enjoy it, and be entertained all you want, but you aren't a fan. If you are a true fan, you can't just up and not like that team anymore, you are too invested in them to do that.
You can like all those teams that you lived nearby, but you should still have a favorite team that you are a fan of. For instance I'm a Raider fan. I like the 49ers and Eagles. I absolutely hate the Patriots. I'm happy with the 49ers going to the superbowl, and even winning it, as long as when they play the Raiders they lose. I can root for other teams, but MY team is/will always be the Raiders. The team you are a true fan of should be a part of who you are, and what you like. When I describe my self, I'd say I'm a Hurricane; Not I'm a Bear, Duck, and Trojan, but only when they are good.

Real talk. Why are you still a fan of the University of Miami football team?

I'll be honest... if I didn't attend the school, I wouldn't be a fan anymore.

This admin clearly doesn't care about the fans, winning clearly hasn't been a priority for the past decade, and then they insult you by shoving ****wads like Blake James and Al golden in your face.

They run away and try to distance themselves from everything that was ever cool about the U... the 30 for 30 and all that.... those days are never coming back

For real, if you didn't attend the U, you're off the hook. Do yourself a favor man... go root for Oregon.

I wouldn't put up with any more of this garbage if I didn't feel like I had to.

Yeah. I went there, too. Can't say much for the place. It's always been run like a Keystone Kops operation. Think this latest bunch might be the cherry on top of the chit sundae. Maybe this will be a watershed moment and we finally get someone as President who clearly demands excellence in academics and athletics. Am not counting on it, however.

Last edited:

Fan psychology
Sports

The drivers that make people fans, and in particular sports fans, have been studied by psychologists, such as Dan Wann at Murray State University. They attribute people becoming fans to the following factors:[4] One element is entertainment, because sports spectatorship is a form of leisure. Sports is also a form of escapism, and being a fan gives one an excuse to yell at something, an activity that may be constrained in other areas of one's life. Fan activities give participants a combination of euphoria and stress (about the potential for their team to lose) for which they coin the name "eustress". Fans experience euphoria during moments when play is going well for their team, and stress when play is going against their team. This tension between the two emotions generates an unusual sense of pleasure or heightened sensations.

Aesthetics are another draw for some fans, who appreciate the precision or skill of play, or of the coordinated movement of the players during a pre-planned "play". Family bonding is a reason for some fan activities. Some families go to sports games every month as a family outing to watch a sports event and form a psychological bond with one another as a family. Going to sports events can create a borrowed sense of self-esteem if fans identify with their teams to the extent that they consider themselves to be successful when their teams have been successful (e.g., as seen in the phrase "we have won"). Fangirls or fanboys are described as term in book characters

Loyalty

Fan loyalty is the loyalty felt and expressed by a fan towards the object of his/her fanaticism. Allegiances can be strong or weak. The loyalties of sports fans have been studied by psychologists and have often been reviewed. Fan loyalty can be threatened by team actions.

That's psychology, not fanaticism. Try again...

You know fanaticism is the result ... "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics or sports."

But the psychology is "the why" ... It's the more important concept. And as the psychology states ... Fan loyalty CAN be threatened by team actions.

What UAB did to their football program was an act of COMMISSION to end the program... While what the Miami administration is an act of OMISSION.

If it continues, I'll take their hint, and spend my time and resources elsewhere.

Why would I allow this program to ruin my affection for college football? And why would I continue to support an inferior product that CHOOSES to remain inferior?

Advertisement

Fan psychology
Sports

The drivers that make people fans, and in particular sports fans, have been studied by psychologists, such as Dan Wann at Murray State University. They attribute people becoming fans to the following factors:[4] One element is entertainment, because sports spectatorship is a form of leisure. Sports is also a form of escapism, and being a fan gives one an excuse to yell at something, an activity that may be constrained in other areas of one's life. Fan activities give participants a combination of euphoria and stress (about the potential for their team to lose) for which they coin the name "eustress". Fans experience euphoria during moments when play is going well for their team, and stress when play is going against their team. This tension between the two emotions generates an unusual sense of pleasure or heightened sensations.

Aesthetics are another draw for some fans, who appreciate the precision or skill of play, or of the coordinated movement of the players during a pre-planned "play". Family bonding is a reason for some fan activities. Some families go to sports games every month as a family outing to watch a sports event and form a psychological bond with one another as a family. Going to sports events can create a borrowed sense of self-esteem if fans identify with their teams to the extent that they consider themselves to be successful when their teams have been successful (e.g., as seen in the phrase "we have won"). Fangirls or fanboys are described as term in book characters

Loyalty

Fan loyalty is the loyalty felt and expressed by a fan towards the object of his/her fanaticism. Allegiances can be strong or weak. The loyalties of sports fans have been studied by psychologists and have often been reviewed. Fan loyalty can be threatened by team actions.

You know fanaticism is the result ... "a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics or sports."

But the psychology is "the why" ... It's the more important concept. And as the psychology states ... Fan loyalty CAN be threatened by team actions.

What UAB did to their football program was an act of COMMISSION to end the program... While what the Miami administration is an act of OMISSION.

If it continues, I'll take their hint, and spend my time and resources elsewhere.

Why would I allow this program to ruin my affection for college football? And why would I continue to support an inferior product that CHOOSES to remain inferior?

So, lets pretend next year we have a bad year. So you change to a different team.
Then, we get a new coach, and there is hope again, like there always is and will be when you bring in a new coach.
Will you return to being a Cane fan? Will you ever return to being a cane fan, even if it's not apart of that new teams doing?
If you will come back when we are good again, what's the psychology in that? were you ever truly not a fan?

Advertisement

Fan psychology
Sports

Loyalty

So, lets pretend next year we have a bad year. So you change to a different team.
Then, we get a new coach, and there is hope again, like there always is and will be when you bring in a new coach.
Will you return to being a Cane fan? Will you ever return to being a cane fan, even if it's not apart of that new teams doing?
If you will come back when we are good again, what's the psychology in that? were you ever truly not a fan?

If your girl gets fat and you break up with her, and then she goes on a diet and gets hot again, will you take her back?

Because: we're the baddest, greatest, meanest, progressive mother ****ers there's ever been!

We're the boss

Fan psychology
Sports

Loyalty

Using your scenario ... If I were to leave, I'd have to have another program to become emotionally invested with. That investment would take longer than a year to manifest.

So, that's not a likely scenario ...

But if we have another decade like the last one, that would be the a conscious decision from the school to devalue and de-emphasize the football program. And if that's the case, I'd likely be pushed away. I didn't earn my college degree from Miami ... So, if I can't connect with the football program, because of their style of play, I probably wouldn't "jump back on the bandwagon".

And to be clear ... My issue is not with the results, solely. Wins matter, but it's the style of play that is lacking ... It's the lack of aggression and swagger I see. As has been stated .. It's not The U I grew up loving as a kid ... In fact, it's the opposite ... Which is what I was avoiding when I became a fan of Miami when the Canes lost to PSU in the Fiesta Bowl, and EVERYONE was telling me PSU played "the right way" ...

Advertisement
Back