Why do so many people consider Sean Taylor the greatest Miam

I'll never fault anyone for picking Ed over Sean or vice versa. In my opinion the difference is that Ed had the ability to change a game, and he often did. While Sean had the ability to take over a game, see 2003 vs FSU.

I do think, like most that had Sean not been taken away from us like he was, he probably would have walked away the greatest NFL Safety of all time. But as things played out, it's Ed over Sean slightly for me.

Advertisement
Best player is all about ones opinion. Good arguments could be made about players in different eras. Depends on how far back you started watching the Canes. Not saying he was the best but one of my all time favorites was Dooley. All American offense and defense the same year. Had over a 1000 yards rushing and 17 interceptions on defense when most teams did not throw 20 times a game. Played 60 minutes every game. As for who was all time.best who really knows

Advertisement
Anyone who saw him play understands. However, who is our GOAT is discussed often and there are many qualified. For me it has always been and still is the Mad Stork. Our program is so loaded that if is hard to even pick greatest at a position, no less overall. We can argue over who is best but must agree that we are blessed to have so many.

Yes. Most dominant player over an extended period of time was Ted Hendricks.

As much as Taylor, Reed and Lewis are some of the all time great defenders, I would just remind people that there was once a LB named LT who was the most dominating defender I ever saw

Did you ever see Ted Hendricks at the U?

ED Reed was better than Sean. And to argue that isn't living in reality. Sean taylor is a top 10 Canes player of my lifetime ( I was born in 80) but c'mon Reed was the safety in college his last 3 season in college and he was the best safety in the NFL the entire time he was in it.

Because Sean is dead people feel the need to over inflate his game. Don't get me wrong the kid was an insane player but he wasn't Reed.

My sentiments EXACTLY!

Although when I said it I was negged to oblivion!

:Y-u-no:

Advertisement
Yeah, it was a great game. But it was a Chris Rix FSU team. That's like beating an Al Golden led Miami team.

I hate who was better threads between greats. They both were ******* ballers.

Last edited:
Sean Taylor was the best all around defensive playmaker in fb history... he was the GOAT before he died.

Wrong. But you’re on record as admitting that you didn’t even watch UM in 2001 or 2002 ans only hopped on the bandwagon after, so you son’t know what you’re talking about.

As much as Taylor, Reed and Lewis are some of the all time great defenders, I would just remind people that there was once a LB named LT who was the most dominating defender I ever saw

Did you ever see Ted Hendricks at the U?

Advertisement
You could debate this forever and never get a consenus on who's better. They both have a legitimate claim as the best ever, especially at UM. I personally look at it they were different style safetys. Ed: Silent cerebral precisioned assassin. ST: Brute force ruthless aggression speed. I've watched every game they both played at UM, and if I had to pick between the two, I would take ST. Not that I feel that he is better than Ed, it's just that like ST style of safety play better. As who's better, wth knows. Im just honored to be real fan of the only program in history that can make the claim.

ST was the best football player I ever saw period.

I love Sean, but the best football player I ever watched probably was Bo Jackson. The guy was so naturally gifted, he could play any sport he wanted to a high level (and did).

Deion did the same thing, but he wasn't the athletic freak that Bo was.

Like the Nike commercial stated; Bo knew. One can only wonder how good he could've been if he concentrated on just one sport. Easily a HOF'er in baseball or football.

Best Hurricane football player I've ever seen? Difficult to say, but my money would be on Reggie Wayne, Dan Morgan, or Frank Gore.

I would also mention Kevin Williams as well. Guy never gets enough credit, but he was a 5'9, 190lb guy that could return kicks, run and catch the ball. He was elusive, fast, and explosive.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I mean, this is a pretty vein exercise. This would be if you had five kids and had to pick your favorite.

You love all five of them.

Jerome Brown, Rusty Medearis, Bennie Blades, Jim Kelly, Bernie, etc. etc. etc.

We've had the luxury of having so many great players that we can bring this sort of nonsense up.

Playmaker, Morgan, Sapp, Edge, etc. etc. etc.

I love Sean, but the best football player I ever watched probably was Bo Jackson. The guy was so naturally gifted, he could play any sport he wanted to a high level (and did).

Like the Nike commercial stated; Bo knew. One can only wonder how good he could've been if he concentrated on just one sport. Easily a HOF'er in baseball or football.

Best Hurricane football player I've ever seen? Difficult to say, but my money would be on Reggie Wayne, Dan Morgan, or Frank Gore.

I would also mention Kevin Williams as well. Guy never gets enough credit, but he was a 5'9, 190lb guy that could return kicks, run and catch the ball. He was elusive, fast, and explosive.

I was going to try to draw a similar comparison, but I thought I might be the only one. Bo Jackson is the closest thing I've ever seen to a real life super hero. They wiped the records when they went to all electric timing, but Bo ran a 4.12 40 in an NFL camp before he was drafted. Bo could run over you, run away from you, jump over you...Bo was an athlete in the truest sense of the word. He could have competed in the decathlon.

I look at Sean Taylor the same way. Ed Reed is the greatest safety I've ever seen. Sean Taylor was something else altogether. Sean Taylor had the physical ability to do whatever he wanted to. He chose to play safety.

I was going to try to draw a similar comparison, but I thought I might be the only one. Bo Jackson is the closest thing I've ever seen to a real life super hero. They wiped the records when they went to all electric timing, but Bo ran a 4.12 40 in an NFL camp before he was drafted. Bo could run over you, run away from you, jump over you...Bo was an athlete in the truest sense of the word. He could have competed in the decathlon.

I look at Sean Taylor the same way. Ed Reed is the greatest safety I've ever seen. Sean Taylor was something else altogether. Sean Taylor had the physical ability to do whatever he wanted to. He chose to play safety.

Another guy cut from the same cloth as Bo was a prime Randall Cunningham. Especially in his prime with the Eagles

Could probably play several positions but he chose QB.

Advertisement
Back