Why do so many people consider Sean Taylor the greatest Miam

You did a poll somewhere else, and then you came here to talk about the results?

Asking who's the best Miami Hurricane of all time is way too vague and subjective.

Advertisement
Really people. Taylor over Lewis? Because he was leading the league in INTs for a portion of his last pro season? Is this a real discussion or a memorial thread? I can get down with either, but you tell me......

Save your emotions for Saturday at 3:30

Sean Taylor’s 2003 season is the best single season ever by a safety in college football, and it’s not all that close. Maybe even by a DB, period. He was unbelievably dominant, and was a Heisman caliber player. He had ten interceptions. You’re not wrong if you pick Sean Taylor based on play at Miami, though I personally would pick another player.

Ray Lewis is the best defensive player in NFL history though.

Last edited:
Taylor was physically gifted like few others, but Reed was the CAPTAIN of the ship.

And while we're at it, where's the love for Bennie Blades in this discussion???

People act like Sean Taylor was physically gifted but didn’t have the production to match it at Miami. Always confuses me.

Advertisement
So I did a poll in a hurricanes Facebook group I'm on who was the best Miami hurricanes football player of all time was. The majority of them chose Sean Taylor. Yes I understand Sean Taylor was a solid pro bowl player when he played but he was not one of the best a position ever. With options like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jim Kelly, Warren Sapp, Mike Irvin, Jessie Armistead and Andre Johnson I just don't see why people would choose Taylor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There are simply no words to describe how bad EVERY SINGLE POST is by this guy...

i think the flood of fan gear with his name on it has an impact on how he's perceived. A lot of people have made a lot of money printing his name

ED Reed was better than Sean. And to argue that isn't living in reality. Sean taylor is a top 10 Canes player of my lifetime ( I was born in 80) but c'mon Reed was the safety in college his last 3 season in college and he was the best safety in the NFL the entire time he was in it.

Because Sean is dead people feel the need to over inflate his game. Don't get me wrong the kid was an insane player but he wasn't Reed.

nah, ed reed didn't win a game all by himself vs a hated rival in a driving monsoon

taylor was like a hybrid of reed and some other psycho like john lynch

he simply never had enough time to prove it

That Sean vs Ed debate is one I never shy from discussing. I do believe that Ed was the better player and imo best safety ever. But I will say.... If Sean had the chance to player longer he may have ended up being the better player. The both had memorial game(s) vs fsu. If anyone says Sean the better player, I'd have no problem with that..... But I'll take Ed all day everyday

Advertisement
Sean Taylor dominated a game against FSU like no player who wasn’t a QB/RB ever dominated a game.

HOWEVER
Ed Reed is my favorite player.
The play he made vs BC in 2001 to protect the perfect season is the most CANE play I’ve ever seen. Strips the ball from his own teammate and returned it for a touchdown. LEGEND.

Sean Taylor dominated a game against FSU like no player who wasn’t a QB/RB ever dominated a game.

HOWEVER
Ed Reed is my favorite player.
The play he made vs BC in 2001 to protect the perfect season is the most CANE play I’ve ever seen. Strips the ball from his own teammate and returned it for a touchdown. LEGEND.

That's my favorite play of all time from a Cane... And that was such a dangerous play.... If it had went the wrong way.... Maaaaaan.... **** it, it didn't.... Ed is the goat.... But like u said.... Sean dominated fsu in 2003.

Sean did things I’ve only seen him do. He ran like a running back, was built like a linebacker, covered like a corner and hit like a freight train. The guy also had an incredible motor. Maybe not the cerebral player that Reed was, but he was also younger and his game was becoming more cerebral near the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Sean Taylor’s 2003 season is the best single season ever by a safety in college football, and it’s not all that close. Maybe even by a DB, period. He was unbelievably dominant, and was a Heisman caliber player. He had ten interceptions. You’re not wrong if you pick Sean Taylor based on play at Miami, though I personally would pick another player.

Ray Lewis is the best defensive player in NFL history though.

Listen, Ray was an elite linebacker, he was consistently excellent, but he wasn't the best defensive player in NFL history. You have guys like LT that forever changed the way players were used that are ahead of Ray at this point. Ray was a great linebacker, LT was a game changer. You also have guys like Reggie White, Deacon Jones and others that helped make defensive line play something worth paying attention to.

Ray may not even be the best Miami linebacker to ever play in the NFL. Ted Hendricks is in the Hall of Fame, a lot of people say that he was the most intelligent player to have ever played the position. Hendricks was one of the first truly versatile 'backers, he could rush the passer, but had the athletic ability needed to drop back in zone. Remember, he was a physical freak of nature with his height.

Advertisement
Ed reed best safety EVER and Ray Lewis is the best MLB EVER. Sean was a great player but not in the top ten greatest Um players.

First things first, there is no wrong answer to this question. (Unless someone is trolling with names like Kirby Freeman, etc.)
Ed Reed was the best Saftey. A true genius on the field someone who could trick HOF QBs like Tom Brady into making mistakes. Sean Taylor is prolly the best football player to ever live. He could play any skill position on offense and any position in the 2nd and 3rd level on defense. When it’s this close and you are splitting hairs on greatness ppl tend to pick based on who they favored more.

For the ppl that say “Sean Taylor is hyped because he was killed before his career ended.” I want you to think about this for a second. When you watch a Saftey and you say “He’s not fast enough.” “He doesn’t hit hard enough.” “He doesn’t cause fumbles.” “He doesn’t get enough ints.” “He doesn’t play with passion.” “He doesn’t take anything to the house.” “He gets burned too much.””He does misses and doesn’t finish tackles enough.” Sean Taylor is the guy who set the standard that you are defining current players by.

Last edited:
A few things:

1. Separate college success from NFL success. Obviously Reed's bigger sample size allowed him to accumulate better NFL stats
2. In college, Ed Reed had a ton of big time plays, but didn't completely take over a game like ST26, i.e. @FSU.
3. ST had more plays that made you appreciate how gawd **** ridiculous it was for a 6'3'' 230lb DB to run, jump, hit and move on the field
4. Ed Reed was so great because of his preparation and knowledge, I'm not saying ST didn't have those two things as well , but when he was on the field it was like a High school senior that got snuck into a pop warner game, that's how big the talent gap was.

Advertisement
Back