Why do so many people consider Sean Taylor the greatest Miam

Advertisement
Taylor was physically gifted like few others, but Reed was the CAPTAIN of the ship.

And while we're at it, where's the love for Bennie Blades in this discussion???

People act like Sean Taylor was physically gifted but didn’t have the production to match it at Miami. Always confuses me.

Well, that wasn't really my point.

They BOTH experienced incredible production, as many have pointed out.

My point was that Taylor had off the charts physical measurables compared to Reed, but Reed was an incredible team leader on a level that few others have ever, or will ever match.

Sean Taylor’s 2003 season is the best single season ever by a safety in college football, and it’s not all that close. Maybe even by a DB, period. He was unbelievably dominant, and was a Heisman caliber player. He had ten interceptions. You’re not wrong if you pick Sean Taylor based on play at Miami, though I personally would pick another player.

Ever seen Bennie Blades' 1986 season stats at UM?

The thing with ST was that he had that U swag on another level. He had a mean attitude, he would lay you out and talk smack as your getting up. Besides everyone likes to see guys get laid out. Ed Reed might be the better safety but Sean Taylor is the fan favorite.

So I did a poll in a hurricanes Facebook group I'm on who was the best Miami hurricanes football player of all time was. The majority of them chose Sean Taylor. Yes I understand Sean Taylor was a solid pro bowl player when he played but he was not one of the best a position ever. With options like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jim Kelly, Warren Sapp, Mike Irvin, Jessie Armistead and Andre Johnson I just don't see why people would choose Taylor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I get banned for "trolling" every other week and you guys let this rubbish slide.

Moderated by homosexuals.

Advertisement
Ed reed was the greatest leader in the greatest team ever so he is up there for sure. But ST is a once in a generation player with the combo of instincts and physical attributes. He was only scratching the surface in the NFL. There is a reason all these young safety look up to Sean even though they didn't play for the U.

Sean Taylor was the best all around defensive playmaker in fb history... he was the GOAT before he died.

This is like the MJ vs. Lebron debate in the fact that MJ was a one or two position player and LBJ can probably play all 5 and be effective at each one. Sean could play multiple positions on the field and be good to great at all of them. He was a freak at safety and will forever be my favorite player. Ed is all time though.

Lol the MJ Lebron comparison is garbage. Anyone who saw MJ in his prime knows he is the ******* GOAT.

Sean Taylor’s 2003 season is the best single season ever by a safety in college football, and it’s not all that close. Maybe even by a DB, period. He was unbelievably dominant, and was a Heisman caliber player. He had ten interceptions. You’re not wrong if you pick Sean Taylor based on play at Miami, though I personally would pick another player.

Ever seen Bennie Blades' 1986 season stats at UM?

His 2003 season was super dope but ****... Ed's 2000 and 01 season was dope too

Advertisement
So I did a poll in a hurricanes Facebook group I'm on who was the best Miami hurricanes football player of all time was. The majority of them chose Sean Taylor. Yes I understand Sean Taylor was a solid pro bowl player when he played but he was not one of the best a position ever. With options like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jim Kelly, Warren Sapp, Mike Irvin, Jessie Armistead and Andre Johnson I just don't see why people would choose Taylor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I get banned for "trolling" every other week and you guys let this rubbish slide.

Moderated by homosexuals.

Sounds like you're about due.

taylor - giphy.gif

Advertisement
ST was a beast, but his physical gifts often led him to be a bit careless. He had a tendency of going for the big hit and not wrapping up, which resulted in a lot of missed tackles. Also, I still cringe when I see the Maurice Clarett strip.

I go Ed Reed, but what a luxury we have/had that we're even discussing this.

Love both Sean and Ed but thought I'd bring some stats to the party...

ED REED
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 2.19.40 PM.jpg

SEAN TAYLOR
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 2.21.11 PM.jpg

At UM, Ed Reed recorded an interception every 2.1 games. Sean Taylor intercepted a pass every 1.8 games. The numbers are pretty comparable although Sean's 2003 season stands out as does the fact that he had 1 less career defensive TD than Reed despite playing 19 fewer games (!).

Also, Sean Taylor had a PR for a TD and a reception for a TD in 2002. He ended up with 5 TDs overall in 19 fewer games. He averaged 1.2 points per games played -- a defensive player. Pretty nuts. Ed Reed averaged .5 points / game played.

Couple all that with how Sean Taylor hit and a dash of recency bias and it really shouldn't shock anyone that people mention him as the greatest. I think that if he would've stayed 4 years, there would've been little doubt. They're both ridiculous.

Last edited:

ED REED
View attachment 52337

SEAN TAYLOR
View attachment 52339

At UM, Ed Reed recorded an interception every 2.1 games. Sean Taylor intercepted a pass every 1.8 games. The numbers are pretty comparable although Sean's 2003 season stands out as does the fact that he had 1 less career defensive TD than Reed despite playing 19 fewer games (!).

Also, Sean Taylor had a PR for a TD and a reception for a TD in 2002. He ended up with 5 TDs overall in 19 fewer games. He averaged 1.2 points per games played -- a defensive player. Pretty nuts. Ed Reed averaged .5 points / game played.

Couple all that with how Sean Taylor hit and a dash of recency bias and it really shouldn't shock anyone that people mention him as the greatest. I think that if he would've stayed 4 years, there would've been little doubt. They're both ridiculous.

lol that's a freaking ****load of INTs and TDs between the two. Not to mention in consecutive years. Sheesh.

It's like, I know these things because I lived them, but still...****.

We're debating two of the absolute greatest EVER. And they played for the same team. And we replaced one with the other lol.

Just out of control.

Advertisement
I know it's difficult to compare an offensive player to heavyweights like Sean Taylor and Ed Reed, but....no mention of #5 ? I might say that he was the most freakish, dominant offensive player we've ever had. Did any defensive back in college ever do a decent job of covering him one-on-one? I can't remember that happening. ****, no one in the NFL could cover him one on one.

ED REED
View attachment 52337

SEAN TAYLOR
View attachment 52339

Good work my dude!!

When you say greatest player you have to go beyond his position don't you. Sean was a great player. The hit he put on one kid on the sideline almost knocked him into the stands. That sort of defined him for all time. He also returned kicks. One return against the Gators Brock Berlin comeback game I think was a classic. He looked like an NFL running back eluding tackle after tackle. So he should've in the discussion but I'm going with an old timer. Jim Dooley. Running back on offense and safety on defense. Sure it was a different time but he was a game changer on either side of the ball.

ED REED
View attachment 52337

SEAN TAYLOR
View attachment 52339

Good work my dude!!

Thanks!

Advertisement
Back