Why did UGA Fire Richt?

He had a .740 win percentage. According to Wiki, that is UGA's highest win percentage for a coach since a guy named Harry Stedgemen went .741 from 1920-1922.

No NCs, No NC appearances, No SEC Titles Since 2005, Owned by Florida, LSU and Bama. etc. MR deserved to be fired.

Advertisement
Richt couldn't win the big games. He was like John Cooper at Ohio Taint, but Cooper didn't get to stick around as long.

This, but worse. Cooper had 3 one loss seasons at OSU. Richt had 1 one loss season at Georgia.

Right didn't just lose the big games, he lost BIG in the big games. Saban & Meyer beat up on him pretty good.

Georgia also finished unranked 3 times since 2009.

The argument for keeping him was "He's a good coach, a good guy, runs a clean program, and what's wrong with winning 9-10 games a season in the SEC?"

The argument against was "We'll never get over the hump with Richt, yeah we'll win 9-10 games but never the big games, and we'll end up playing some boring Big 10 team a meaningless bowl game like we do every year".

The Richt's gotta go talk has been around since 2008 - it wasn't like it just started this year. The fans got tired of the rinse & repeat seasons.

I'll say this. If Aaron Murray doesn't have his pass tipped by bama they would've built him a statue. That was his last real chance to prove himself

Richt couldn't win the big games. He was like John Cooper at Ohio Taint, but Cooper didn't get to stick around as long.

This, but worse. Cooper had 3 one loss seasons at OSU. Richt had 1 one loss season at Georgia.

Right didn't just lose the big games, he lost BIG in the big games. Saban & Meyer beat up on him pretty good.

The argument for keeping him was "He's a good coach, a good guy, runs a clean program, and what's wrong with winning 9-10 games a season in the SEC?"

The argument against was "We'll never get over the hump with Richt, yeah we'll win 9-10 games but never the big games, and we'll end up playing some boring Big 10 team a meaningless bowl game like we do every year".

The Richt's gotta go talk has been around since 2008 - it wasn't like it just started this year. The fans got tired of the rinse & repeat seasons.

over exaggeration. the "Richt's gotta go" talk didn't start until 2010 when they went 6-7 and went away until mid 2013 because the team was riding high until that SEC title game in 2012.

Agreed he deserved to be fired, but it wasn't like they were running him out of town that long ago. It didn't seriously heat back up until last season (2014)

The most important part people fail to mention when discussing him as our next head coach is that the UGA decline coincided with Richt giving up play calling abilities. He had 80% winning pct while doing so and won 2 SEC titles. then gave up play calling and hasn't won one since and won 67% of the games.

Can't wait for him to do great things here while calling plays. He has never failed as a play caller

25-13 before 2007 (calling plays) 13-24 after 2007 against ranked teams at UGA.

Richt calling plays, south florida recruits, softer schedule, kaaya for two years, etc. = great things for the university of miami

Last edited:
Advertisement
The Copper comparison wasn't a good one. Cooper had one problem and one problem only, his last season game against Michigan. Cooper essentially played the role of Bobby Bowden against us. His record went south his last year or two, but Michigan with Lloyd Carr derailed perfect seasons time and again.

You can't be serious.

Last edited:
I'll say this. If Aaron Murray doesn't have his pass tipped by bama they would've built him a statue. That was his last real chance to prove himself

^this. crazy how that one play would change most people's opinions on him. Granted, can't argue with results. He never won it all, but that play stopped him from winning a national championship because they would have beaten ND 100%

2 conference titles in 15 years,

your biggest rival's *****.

God help us if it takes us that long to move on if that is all he can get here.

Advertisement

^this. crazy how that one play would change most people's opinions on him. Granted, can't argue with results. He never won it all, but that play stopped him from winning a national championship because they would have beaten ND 100%

MR gets smashed by ND.

over exaggeration. the "Richt's gotta go" talk didn't start until 2010 when they went 6-7 and went away until mid 2013 because the team was riding high until that SEC title game in 2012.

He has never failed as a play caller
i

You can't be serious.

? I am serious. I also see you cut out of most of my post. Cutting away logic doesn't make it go away.

You said that the "The Richt's gotta go talk has been around since 2008 - it wasn't like it just started this year. The fans got tired of the rinse & repeat seasons."

that's wrong. It was not in 2008 where people wanted him gone. At that time he had won nearly 80% of his games, with one bad loss to UF but in no way were people wanting a change.

6-7 season in 2010? yes of course as with any coach at a major program. But to say that it was in 2008 is crazy to me. They lost a close game to Bama and then got beat badly by the national championship winning gators and tebow. I think that hardly brought the pitchforks out.

But hey that's my opinion

MR gets smashed by ND.

fullyericht is that you?

Advertisement

MR gets smashed by ND.

fullyericht is that you?

Hey, gotta get the ball rolling on the FireRicht campaign!

Awesome thread, btw (not).

Last edited:
He had a .740 win percentage. According to Wiki, that is UGA's highest win percentage for a coach since a guy named Harry Stedgemen went .741 from 1920-1922.

No NCs, No NC appearances, No SEC Titles Since 2005, Owned by Florida, LSU and Bama. etc. MR deserved to be fired.

I agree he deserved to be fired from a narrowly defined perspective...not a criticism...but a high bar indeed...

That level of excellence is essentially impossible to maintain under the NCAAs current rule sets. If Saban misses out on NC next year, should he be fired? Or the year after? How about every college coach who doesn't win an NC?

Should the Patriots fire Bellicheck?

My point is the standard you are offering is aspirational...no question...but impossible to achieve year after year.

Even Saban admits his run is an anomaly.

Last edited:
Their boosters and AD happened. UGA's network is even more good ol' boy than a lot of the SEC teams. They have been trying to get Kirby Smart for a few years (in a DC/HCIW role) and when South Carolina was supposedly close to hiring him they panicked and pushed Richt out so they could hire him. Smart's pops is a well known HS coach and they and a bunch of powerful alums have been clamoring for him to get the job for years. It didn't help that Richt and the AD hated each other.

Bing, bing, bing! Right answer.

Advertisement

Agreed he deserved to be fired, but it wasn't like they were running him out of town that long ago. It didn't seriously heat back up until last season (2014)

The most important part people fail to mention when discussing him as our next head coach is that the UGA decline coincided with Richt giving up play calling abilities. He had 80% winning pct while doing so and won 2 SEC titles. then gave up play calling and hasn't won one since and won 67% of the games.

Can't wait for him to do great things here while calling plays. He has never failed as a play caller

25-13 before 2007 (calling plays) 13-24 after 2007 against ranked teams at UGA.

Richt calling plays, south florida recruits, softer schedule, kaaya for two years, etc. = great things for the university of miami

i

You can't be serious.

? I am serious. I also see you cut out of most of my post. Cutting away logic doesn't make it go away.

You said that the "The Richt's gotta go talk has been around since 2008 - it wasn't like it just started this year. The fans got tired of the rinse & repeat seasons."

that's wrong. It was not in 2008 where people wanted him gone. At that time he had won nearly 80% of his games, with one bad loss to UF but in no way were people wanting a change.

6-7 season in 2010? yes of course as with any coach at a major program. But to say that it was in 2008 is crazy to me. They lost a close game to Bama and then got beat badly by the national championship winning gators and tebow. I think that hardly brought the pitchforks out.

But hey that's my opinion

2006 - Georgia lost to Vanderbilt AND Kentucky. The 2007 recruiting class was also Richt's biggest recruiting failure.

2007 - Georgia lost to an unranked 6 loss South Carolina and 4 loss Tennessee team. TN was better than advertised, they ended up ranked 12th, but they still blew out Georgia by 21. And this was Richt's highest ranked Georgia team.

2008 - Georgia was the pre-season Number 1. They had Stafford, AJ Green & Knowshon Moreno. Georgia played Alabama in the 4th game of the season. Georgia was 7 point favorites, at home, and broke out the black jerseys as motivation. Halftime score - Alabama 31, Georgia 0. The 41 - 30 final score made it look like a "close game" - but it was a total massacre.

A couple weeks later Florida beat Georgia by 39. It didn't look good when GT beat Georgia that year too, especially when GT went on to lose their bowl game to LSU by 35.

I'm not saying Richt was on the hot seat yet, but I lived in Atlanta at the time so trust me, the "Georgia's never going to get it done with Richt" ball was already rolling.

I do think Georgia fans are a bit delusional with how talented players from Georgia are. It's really not a "talent rich" state. Richt's best players were pretty much all from out of state. So by default, he's going to have much more talent to work with at Miami.

MR gets smashed by ND.

You revealed your bias and your ignorance in one short sentence.

Living in Georgia, married to a long time Georgia season ticket holder, so I've been hearing about this for years. The only reason he lasted as long as he did was because everybody likes him. Even at the UGA-Penn State game, there were still signs supporting him and hoping he did well at Miami. He frustrated people because they knew, like we have at Miami, that there was talent. He had Stafford and Moreno at the same time. He had all the parts, but for some reason, they would always seem to lose the big game, and then a game or two they were supposed to win.

I really didn't want him at Miami, initially, until I saw his press conference, when he left UGA. I could tell he was frustrated. I've heard some of the things that happened this year with Richt and Pruitt. That came from the UGA players, that they had to be separated by the rest of the coaches. That was hushed up, but there was a lot of turmoil. Even the interview with Ekeler that's on this board confirmed there was a lot of stuff going around.

Talk to any Georgia fan about him, and the first thing they'll do is warn you that he'll start kicking kids off the team, if they break the rules. That was one of the frustrating things for their fans, because they never felt like they were on an even playing field, due to the discipline he brought to the program. they liked the idea of it, but it also lost them some talented kids. It's funny, because people still think that Miami is a team of criminals, but they haven't had nearly the trouble the kids at UGA did. I have a feeling that a lot of that is because the kids in Athens were under a microscope, whereas in Miami, it's easier to hide. He'll still be tough, but I don't think there will be nearly as many kids lost like that as there were at Georgia.

Perfect synopsis. If Richt coached there in the 70s or 80s he'd have been a 25 year lifer. There wasn't as much pressure to produce championships back then.

He couldn't beat any of the top teams consistently enough and couldn't even take advantage of what's been a floundering UF program for the past 5 years. The SEC East should have been easy pickings over the last 5 years, but he couldn't even win that side.

Advertisement
Back