Who was Miami going after when they hired AL Golden?

Mattm334

Recruit
What other coaches were they trying to hire? Was he there last resort or something? I remember they tried to make a play at Gruden and Dan mullen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement
What other coaches were they trying to hire? Was he there last resort or something? I remember they tried to make a play at Gruden and Dan mullen.

Ahh, Gruden...Gary Sperman and CaneSport will never live it down for saying he was a done deal after Grudenmania griped Miami.

For a 2017 version of such Grudenmania, see here:

Official Jon Gruden Thread XVII - VolNation

467 pages and counting in nine days...

Mullen was begging for the job both times , he rubbed the ad wrong though. Very arrogant. But I actually think he's a really solid coach.

Also they were talking with Trestman , he was on previous Miami staffs. Fired by the bears.

Advertisement
For some reason Houston Nutt kept stating he was not interested in the job at the time, I could never figure that one out

Mullen was begging for the job both times , he rubbed the ad wrong though. Very arrogant. But I actually think he's a really solid coach.

Also they were talking with Trestman , he was on previous Miami staffs. Fired by the bears.

Dan Mullen is an average coach. Thankful he didn't get the nod this last time, but instead of Folden would have been fine by me!

Steve kragthorpe is one of the great offensive minds in college football

Dan Mullen is an average coach. Thankful he didn't get the nod this last time, but instead of Folden would have been fine by me!

Miss St has awful facilities, no talent in state and recruit at a low level because of that . Mix that with playing in the toughest division in cfb the last decade and I think he does as good as you can there. He's also a great qb evaluator and coach.

Urban hasn't been the same with qbs ( minus Hermans one year).

I know it's cool to call him " garbage or a Corch" but I think he's Solid.

Advertisement
If Gruden had wanted the job, it probably would have been his. Dan Mullen interviewed and reportedly rubbed people the wrong way. I think we were interested in Petersen, but I don't think that he was interested in us. Houston Nutt wasn't interested in us (and let everyone know), and we weren't interested in him, either.

Golden was not our first choice, but he wasn't a last resort, either. He was essentially "Plan B" after the "big splash" guys didn't work out. Most (including me) viewed the hire optimistically, as he turned Temple around and had them winning games. If we hadn't hired him, some other Power-5 Conference school probably would have. Obviously, it turned out to be a huge mistake, but he was an up-and-coming name who looked the part and said all the right things... he just couldn't follow through with actual good coaching (heh, minor detail).

Advertisement
Lol why does every fan base think Gruden will want to coach them

Advertisement

Miss St has awful facilities, no talent in state and recruit at a low level because of that . Mix that with playing in the toughest division in cfb the last decade and I think he does as good as you can there. He's also a great qb evaluator and coach.

Urban hasn't been the same with qbs ( minus Hermans one year).

I know it's cool to call him " garbage or a Corch" but I think he's Solid.

I don't think he's a Corch, I just think he is average. Maybe slightly above average. Where do you rank him compared to Richt?

Things worked out in the end given where we're at now. But there was Al Golden (who got the job), Trestman (would've been a disaster), and I believe Randy Edsall. That's a horrible group.

Many have stated the Mullen rumblings about him being obnoxious. He would've been the only guy out of the names mentioned that I would've wanted here.

Petersen was never going to come here. That guy wants to stay up in the PNW.

Advertisement
Back