Who was Miami going after when they hired AL Golden?

Things worked out in the end given where we're at now. But there was Al Golden (who got the job), Trestman (would've been a disaster), and I believe Randy Edsall. That's a horrible group.

Many have stated the Mullen rumblings about him being obnoxious. He would've been the only guy out of the names mentioned that I would've wanted here.

Petersen was never going to come here. That guy wants to stay up in the PNW.

Mullen is heads and TAILS above Golden and Edsall. I don't have evidence of Trestman as head coach in college to know how he would do. At the time, he was head coach in the CFL. If Richt weren't available, I would have made another offer to Mullen.

Advertisement
Petersen was interested in leaving Boise State for the right opportunity, but he and his family were not fits for Miami. I recall he also had a son with an illness I can't remember, and his medical care was taken care of at Boise State.

My understanding was that Gruden was going to take the job and things had been worked out to hire him when he came back with a stipulation that his brother would become the HC after 2 years if he left.....

That supposedly was the deal breaker cause he had given an indication that he only was willing to guarantee he’d be here 2 years And Kirby knew that if that got out it would kill recruiting cause kids weren’t going to come if he wasn’t going to be here and knew other schools would use that against us in recruiting.

There was supposedly already a board meeting set up at 3 the next day to ok the money which was 4 million a year if I remember which back then would have made him the highest paid or in the top 2-3 in CFB.

This is what was discussed by guys on another site I had belonged to which one of them had a father that sat on the board or was a member of the board and knew what was going on along with a guy that worked inside the Cane offices and knew all the scuttlebutt that was floating around.

So TTFWIW but we were told by this guy whose dad was on the board and concurred by the guy that worked inside the offices( and still does today) that if he had not demanded his brother would have to be the next HC Gruden might have been our coach back then.

Advertisement
I feel like I remember rumblings of Tommy Tubbervulle too, or was that after Coker?

I think someone in Chris Petersen's family has an illness and it makes him very unlikely to ever leave the West.

Jay Gruden has been an NFL head coach since 2014, so maybe it would not have been the end of the world if John had stepped away after 2-3 years. My biggest concern (and why I was glad it didn't pan out) is that Gruden had no recruiting ties to S. FL so basically he would have been relying on flashing a super bowl ring to recruit high school athletes. He might have pulled elite recruits from all over the country, but then you get a team of no-heart me-first players a la FSU today.

Jay Gruden has been an NFL head coach since 2014, so maybe it would not have been the end of the world if John had stepped away after 2-3 years. My biggest concern (and why I was glad it didn't pan out) is that Gruden had no recruiting ties to S. FL so basically he would have been relying on flashing a super bowl ring to recruit high school athletes. He might have pulled elite recruits from all over the country, but then you get a team of no-heart me-first players a la FSU today.

My biggest worry was also recruiting but I had the same worry Kirby did that once teams found out he wasn’t going to be here it would be used against us.He would have brought elite kids I think on his name alone.

And Jay has been a decent PRO coach but I’ve heard he’s a self centered *** so I’m not sure how his personality would have worked with recruiting either.

But we will never know now nor will anyone else cause Gruden ain’t coming out the booth.Hed be a stone cold idiot to do so.Hes espn’s highest paid employee at around 6 a year.why would he want to get back into coaching especially CFB where recruiting takes so much time.

Advertisement
I think someone in Chris Petersen's family has an illness and it makes him very unlikely to ever leave the West.

Son had cancer, he's ok now. He cites it as reason he doesn't like to move far because family is his priority.

We interviewed Bo Pelini as well. Came down to Pelini, Edsall, Trestman, and Golden. Horrible group and Golden was the worst.

If Gruden had wanted the job, it probably would have been his. Dan Mullen interviewed and reportedly rubbed people the wrong way. I think we were interested in Petersen, but I don't think that he was interested in us. Houston Nutt wasn't interested in us (and let everyone know), and we weren't interested in him, either.

Golden was not our first choice, but he wasn't a last resort, either. He was essentially "Plan B" after the "big splash" guys didn't work out. Most (including me) viewed the hire optimistically, as he turned Temple around and had them winning games. If we hadn't hired him, some other Power-5 Conference school probably would have. Obviously, it turned out to be a huge mistake, but he was an up-and-coming name who looked the part and said all the right things... he just couldn't follow through with actual good coaching (heh, minor detail).

Yeah, I don't get when people say they knew from the start he was an awful hire. He said the right things, seemed like a good motivator, and he'd gotten more out of Temple than anyone ever had...wasn't that crazy to wonder what he could do with Miami talent. I was cautiously optimistic about his hiring at the time, and honestly still find it baffling that he couldn't get out of his own way. At least McSharkfcker is missing half his team, al sht the bed with plenty of talent. Whatever, we should probably never speak of this again.

Advertisement
If Gruden had wanted the job, it probably would have been his. Dan Mullen interviewed and reportedly rubbed people the wrong way. I think we were interested in Petersen, but I don't think that he was interested in us. Houston Nutt wasn't interested in us (and let everyone know), and we weren't interested in him, either.

Golden was not our first choice, but he wasn't a last resort, either. He was essentially "Plan B" after the "big splash" guys didn't work out. Most (including me) viewed the hire optimistically, as he turned Temple around and had them winning games. If we hadn't hired him, some other Power-5 Conference school probably would have. Obviously, it turned out to be a huge mistake, but he was an up-and-coming name who looked the part and said all the right things... he just couldn't follow through with actual good coaching (heh, minor detail).

Yeah, I don't get when people say they knew from the start he was an awful hire. He said the right things, seemed like a good motivator, and he'd gotten more out of Temple than anyone ever had...wasn't that crazy to wonder what he could do with Miami talent. I was cautiously optimistic about his hiring at the time, and honestly still find it baffling that he couldn't get out of his own way. At least McSharkfcker is missing half his team, al sht the bed with plenty of talent. Whatever, we should probably never speak of this again.

There was a whoooooole lot of people in this fanbase that was estactic about the hire and raved about the new beginning.

The guy did a great job of selling himself and he had just turned Temple around so there was a lot to be liked about him.His biggest fault from the beginning was his loyalty to his butt buddy duh.Everyone who knows anything about football knew he wasn’t worth a flip.In the end that loyalty was one of the main things that got him canned.That loyalty probably saved our program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back