Who was Miami going after when they hired AL Golden?

does anyone think gruden could go into homes and recruit, knowing he is a hardass? like that's a huge factor in college that wasn't there in NFL

I don't think gruden would do well in college and I think he knows it

Advertisement
My understanding was that Gruden was going to take the job and things had been worked out to hire him when he came back with a stipulation that his brother would become the HC after 2 years if he left.....

What would happen is Jon would take these meetings or "interviews" with schools (like Miami) and he would essentially just try to get them to hire his brother.

He has no interest in coaching again.

And why would we want him?

Advertisement
Didnt that coach from Texas Tech ask for the job as well? Came into the interview with flip flops and talking about pirates...lol

What other coaches were they trying to hire? Was he there last resort or something? I remember they tried to make a play at Gruden and Dan mullen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ahh, Gruden...Gary Sperman and CaneSport will never live it down for saying he was a done deal after Grudenmania griped Miami.

For a 2017 version of such Grudenmania, see here:

Official Jon Gruden Thread XVII - VolNation

467 pages and counting in nine days...

God that was ridiculous. All of these random sources started popping up around the country claiming Gruden was going to be the coach. IIRC some random Baltimore journalist claimed Gruden was on campus talking about the job. They were all clueless.

Advertisement
Things worked out in the end given where we're at now. But there was Al Golden (who got the job), Trestman (would've been a disaster), and I believe Randy Edsall. That's a horrible group.

Many have stated the Mullen rumblings about him being obnoxious. He would've been the only guy out of the names mentioned that I would've wanted here.

Petersen was never going to come here. That guy wants to stay up in the PNW.

Mullen is heads and TAILS above Golden and Edsall. I don't have evidence of Trestman as head coach in college to know how he would do. At the time, he was head coach in the CFL. If Richt weren't available, I would have made another offer to Mullen.

Thank God you dont get to make the decisions.....Mullen is 2-13 against ranked teams....good enough to keep his job beating lower level competition but never really going to win anything

Advertisement
Peterson from Boise. St. Was high on the list. Now with the huskies

Lots of talk (at the time) that he had a child with a medical issue, and that he was receiving a ton of support in Boise, though some were optimistic that SoFla's medical system would be a strong draw for him.

Obviously it didn't work out as such.

Advertisement
If Gruden had wanted the job, it probably would have been his. Dan Mullen interviewed and reportedly rubbed people the wrong way. I think we were interested in Petersen, but I don't think that he was interested in us. Houston Nutt wasn't interested in us (and let everyone know), and we weren't interested in him, either.

Golden was not our first choice, but he wasn't a last resort, either. He was essentially "Plan B" after the "big splash" guys didn't work out. Most (including me) viewed the hire optimistically, as he turned Temple around and had them winning games. If we hadn't hired him, some other Power-5 Conference school probably would have. Obviously, it turned out to be a huge mistake, but he was an up-and-coming name who looked the part and said all the right things... he just couldn't follow through with actual good coaching (heh, minor detail).

Yeah, I don't get when people say they knew from the start he was an awful hire. He said the right things, seemed like a good motivator, and he'd gotten more out of Temple than anyone ever had...wasn't that crazy to wonder what he could do with Miami talent. I was cautiously optimistic about his hiring at the time, and honestly still find it baffling that he couldn't get out of his own way. At least McSharkfcker is missing half his team, al sht the bed with plenty of talent. Whatever, we should probably never speak of this again.

There was a whoooooole lot of people in this fanbase that was estactic about the hire and raved about the new beginning.

The guy did a great job of selling himself and he had just turned Temple around so there was a lot to be liked about him.His biggest fault from the beginning was his loyalty to his butt buddy duh.Everyone who knows anything about football knew he wasn’t worth a flip.In the end that loyalty was one of the main things that got him canned.That loyalty probably saved our program.

Funny thing about Golden's "loyalty" was that a lot of Temple people were telling us what a rat-fvck he was, always looking for a better job (which he did even when he was with us).

He was loyal to his boy, D, but he was not a loyal person.

Funny thing about Golden's "loyalty" was that a lot of Temple people were telling us what a rat-fvck he was, always looking for a better job (which he did even when he was with us).

So just like every other person on Earth?

Uh, no.

First, not "everyone on earth" has a multi-year guaranteed contract that pays him or her millions of dollars. So, yeah, there is THAT.

Second, it is not about whether you will "listen" or even "interview" for another job, it is the dishonesty with which one does so. I didn't have a problem with Butch taking an pro football head coaching job (as the previous 3 UM head coaches had done), but some people had a problem with him not being forthcoming about it. I didn't even care that Golden would talk with his own alma mater, I was more concerned with the other overtures he made.

You seem to be obsessed over "evidence" in other threads, so why don't you deal with the fact that rival coaches were going to use Golden's efforts to get a job elsewhere as EVIDENCE of the fact that he will not be staying long at UM?

A job such as head coach at a Power Five school is not like "everyone else on earth", but feel free to keep yammering on like it is.

Advertisement
Back