Which WR flourishes in this system and why?

Am I the only one who thinks our presnap alignments on defense are absolutely awful?

We give leverage before the ball is even snapped and it is too easy to find the weak spot to attack.

Look where we line up on defense and where Bud Foster has Teck lining up.

Most of those plays we gave up, the defense was toast before the ball was even snapped.

Advertisement
That's exactly what I thought....... a hand timed 4.38 by a coach isn't usually legit.... we'll see if he plays up to that standard this season....so far he looks like a 4.5 laser guy...
Fair. Probably ends up a mid 4.4 guy. Was 4.52 as a HS jr.

I think Harley is a sneaky great fit here. He was always a system receiver an I see him playing a Crabtree type roll. Trustworthy, moving chains, deceptive speed and about his craft and money as a sr. (I dont think he is AS good as Crab for the record)

Bold print. Not a comp.

1. "I see him playing a Crabtree like ROLE (not roll).." - MAKES CONTESTED CATCHES, Big target, soft hands, YACer. This doesn't even matter about being as good as him. He's just outright not the same type of player. However, in a twisted perspective, he has few attributes similar to Crabtree. I mean, Sweet Jesus there is 4 inches and about 60 pounds difference between the two..

2. You say you see Harley playing a similar roll to Crabtree, yet you say it's not a player comparison. Can't you imagine people being somewhat confused?

3. Harley did what he should have against a raunchy Louisville defense. He was hella quite for the 10 other games.

Advertisement
1. "I see him playing a Crabtree like ROLE (not roll).." - MAKES CONTESTED CATCHES, Big target, soft hands, YACer. This doesn't even matter about being as good as him. He's just outright not the same type of player. However, in a twisted perspective, he has few attributes similar to Crabtree. I mean, Sweet Jesus there is 4 inches and about 60 pounds difference between the two..

2. You say you see Harley playing a similar roll to Crabtree, yet you say it's not a player comparison. Can't you imagine people being somewhat confused?

3. Harley did what he should have against a raunchy Louisville defense. He was hella quite for the 10 other games.
The whole team was hella quite against most other teams so miss me with that.

My bad grammar police, whoop whoop pullover -

Definition of Role - the function assumed or part played by a person or thing in a particular situation.

Does a role have much to do with size, how you complete said role or at what speed? Or can a go to role be anyone that is reliable PERIODT.

Not reliable highpointing.
Not reliably bullying a DB.

A guy who you can say he will be open and he will catch it. Not rocket science.

In 2019, the Hurricanes didn’t have a receiver total more than 550 yards for the season.

We don’t think that type of limited production at receiver will be the case in 2020.

The new spread offense is very receiver friendly and one player who has really taken to the offense and has built a nice, early connection with quarterback D’Eriq King, is rising senior Mike Harley.

Harley looks quick and decisive while working out of the slot with a strong understanding of where he needs to be to sit in the holes of the coverage as King fires him short passes to pick up yardage after the catch.

Harley has looked like a man on a mission.

Since 2015, only Ahmmon Richards has cracked the 800 yard receiving mark in a season with his performance as a true freshman in 2016.

We think Harley has the potential to crack the 800 yard mark, if he stays healthy, in 2020 because of all the targets he is set to earn out of the slot.

It's been a while since we had someone who could consistently do these three things:

1. Create separation in man coverage.
2. Win one on one battles for the football.
3. Make the easy catch and maintain balance after the catch.

Harley?
1. No.
2. No.
3. Yes.

Wiggins?
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. No.

Pope?
Who knows? He hasn't really done much. He had 18 receptions last season for 266 yards. The majority of those yards (56%) came on just four receptions...one of which was a hail mary. He has big play ability, speed and he can separate...but he plays small and he hasn't really made any contested catches that I can remember. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think one of the freshman (that includes Payton) are going to have to step up and be a factor.

Advertisement
Payton, Harley and Pope are going to be good this year. Wiggins to a lesser extent will also succeed.

Looking forward to seeing the young guys and if they can carve a role out this year. Redding, Restrepo and Daz are going to be good. They all have the traits and attitudes to be great.

The new offensive strategy will give our wide receivers much more activity... would be nice to see Payton play at his expected potential... and with Pope, Harley we should see the scoreboard numbers go up.

Just want to be first to post that is doesn't matter cause we lost to FIU, GT and LT last year and Manny is still coach and he hasn't fired Banda or Patke yet and Stubbs used to be at Air Force or Army I can't remember which.
Stubbs doesnt even coach here anymore.... -_-

Advertisement
if Keyshawn Smith dont redshirt hes gonna be good. the kid is here to ball and do nothing else but that.

1583360742039.gif

Advertisement
Those 3 need to put in all the work they can this offseason or else Pope and Wiggins will be buried by guys like Redding, Payton, and Smith even.
I dont Think Payton Got off too well this spring like everybody think or assume he has. Regardless still a very talented player and I expect Big things from him if a season is had this year. Just 4 practices but either way I expect Pope, Wiggins and Payton all to play a lot next season. They will be 3 of the top 4 receivers

‘couple of other observations Rumph made from the offense during the four spring
practices:

Among the older receivers, “Mark Pope was really consistent the first two days. Dee Wiggins is always a threat. Jeremiah Payton struggled a little bit, but going against scout team last year he gave us fits.”

Advertisement
Back