Votes: 21 9.0%
  • QB play

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Defense

Votes: 37 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Offensive play calling.

In addition to that and no disrespect to King, but this wasn't the game to start him and see how he does after coming back from injury.

King would've typically called his own number on a lot of those plays. When we were near the goal line, we had one receiver set up top and a healthy King sees that, taking off for the corner of the end zone.

I'm not putting anything on King, but Bama dared him to run and he barely even tried.

Due to that, you should've been preparing to pepper them with short underneath routes like we did in the second half. That opened up some running lanes and eventually would've opened up some deep shots had we consistently done that. Instead, we went back into a shell with handoffs out of the gun allowing their linebackers to sit and key on that. Their linebackers played a fantastic game as well.

Advertisement
Lashlee and King deserves the credit when the Canes win, and they deserve some credit when they loose. These QB stats speak for themselves. You cant win games turning the ball over against anyone, much less Alabama.

the Canes offensive coaches should have every players attention this upcoming week as they prepare for APP St. No excuses for not making huge improvements next week
agree but that includes Lashlee's game plan. There is a tremendous amount of room for improvement in that

How many times have we started off games behind and confused since Manny has been here? He adjusts at halftime at times but when is this going to end? Off the top of my head, since he’s been here, both games against Clemson, ND in 2016, UNC the last two years, Bama, OSU, FSU in 2018, Virginia in 17’, we were behind 2-3 scores early and had to fight to come back. It’s a trend I expected to see end by now.
It's great that the staff (or Manny) seem to be able to adjust as games go on. But the slow starts are inexcusable, and are too damaging to fully recover against quality opposition.

Offensive line. Guards got worked all game. It's hard to have any offense if your guards get beat consistently. The line of scrimmage gets reset, less time to throw, difficult to throw over the middle, no inside zone run game to setup play actions, etc.

Play calling issues are downhill from offensive line issues.

The most concerning thing is our inability to defend screens and idiocy in our coverage shells. We give up quick routes (eg bubbles with 2 receivers covered by one DB with a high safety) for 8 yards a clip like clockwork. We either lack any coaching or the coaches think top teams won’t be able to execute the most basic plays on their offense. It’s insane.
Miami blitzes, a lot. The screen will always be the perfect call.

Advertisement
Ok. I'll play,

Offense Play calling was atrocious. Way too conservative in 1st quarter and just not creative.

Clearly, the front 7 of Alabama is elite.

The OLIne is slightly above average, but, the run blocking is well below average. Cam looked confused and slow.

I would have passed and created tempo then set up the run.

Have to try to go vertical from time to time. I thought our WR was solid. Didnt get too much separation but i think there was a very simplistic route running tree.

King was not the King of last year. I am concerned about that.

Defense.

The worst part was the tackling. It was horrific. Guys were bouncing off of Bama players who were bigger and stronger.

The defense needs to get taller and stronger. No more 5 10 to 6 foot linebackers on this roster please. Need 6'1 to 6'4 dawg athletic linebackers to compete.

There were some breakdowns in the coverage, maybe due to Bolden leaving in the 1st quarter. The 94 yarder was a safety breakdown.

We have to be more disciplined. Too many penalties and turnovers.

I thought the run defense although not great was much improved.

I am far from an expert but we play so much zone defense. I am not sure why we dont play more man on man. I dont know if we can trust the DB's.

The lack of pass rush was also problematic.

The team played really hard tonight. They were spirited especially in the 2nd half.

We spotted Bama a 27 point lead midway through the 2nd quarter. Which is deplorable. Clearly Bama is much better coached and far more talented.

We lost the last half of the game by 4 points. And considering the loss of down on Bama's half yard line, the non-safety and the 94 yarder backbreaker all within a few minutes. We were at least competitive.

I think we are better in several areas than last year. Wide receiver, OL slightly better, QB play was not good yesterday.

On Defense, sceme against run was much better, the was improvement in interior DL.

Defensive Ends clearly a downgrade from last year.
Linebacker/striker play was better than last year. Average at best.
Db play the jury is out. Slightly better than last year. Stevenson was a factor but incomplete information on the backside of the defense. Losing Bolden, Balom and A William's is a factor.

The coastal is wide open open. North Carolina was exposed on Friday night. Go Canes!

Players are smart. They know when their coaches are pussies. It trickles down and affects them no matter how much dawg they have in em
We’ve had a lot of coaches with incredibly low ceilings and then constantly wonder why ours guys don’t develop

not a coincidence. The coaches don’t improve so why would we expect the players to?

Most concerning is that if you told me Mandy and As$lee were both paid to try to lose I wouldn’t have a single point to argue back with

Most disappointed that Miami scheduled this game without having a 3 year bag game plan. Infrastructure needed to be in place by now to at least be competitive. Pure indictment on the administration/ad.

Advertisement
I think OL is fine - maybe tweak scaife and put him back inside. Btw, what on earth happened to Jarrid Williams?

I think king will be fine but he’s certainly not 100%.

to me, the most concerning is the offense. We knew our defense would have issues bc of our front 7. But offense is supposed to be the strength - year 2 of lash/king, hugely improved OL and WR, etc. we were playing in a phone booth yesterday.
I think the front 7 played fine. They gave up 147 rushing yards on 38 carries. That's 3.9 ypc which is pretty **** good against a team like Alabama. For comparison, Clemson's highly-touted front 7 gave up 121 yards on 31 carries against UGA for the same 3.9 ypc as we had. Our guys also had 10 TFL's against Bama which is **** good.

After watching Clemson vs Georgia, I felt like we didn't look much different than Clemson. Strong D-line and a weak link O-line. The difference in the two games is that Georgia couldn't move the ball thru the air and Alabama could.

The final score against Alabama looks worse than what it really is. The problem when playing a high powered team is that you have to possess the football and score or at least possess the football for extended periods of time. We did a much better job in the 2nd half than the 1st. I blame most of the lack of production in the 1st half on Lashlee. The play calling was ultra conservative and just handed the ball back to Bama on 3 & outs. Alabama was nearly 2 to 1 in time of possession which most of that was in the 1st half. So, it was no wonder we fell so far behind as they had way too many offensive possessions in the 1st half. I can't find a lot of stats on possessions, but we had only 2 first downs in our 1st 4 possessions of the game. That did us in as far as making the game competitive. I was so disappointed with Lashlee's 1st half play calling. It was as though he was scared rather than calling a game with nothing to lose. The 2nd half play calling was much better and team showed they could move the ball on Bama.

We basically played Alabama even in the 2nd half. The 2nd half score was 17 - 10 Alabama. If not for the 4th down goal line stop on King, it's 17-17 and perhaps 17-10 in favor of Miami in the 2nd half if we score because Alabama had the 94 yard TD pass after the goal line stance.

In conclusion, I don't think things are as bad as it seamed having watched the Clemson - Georgia game and a good night's sleep to get over the emotion of the loss. I think we'll be fine. I think our defense could be dominant against all the teams we're favored against. The offense should be putting up 30+ per game given they should have scored 20 against Alabama. We won't face a front 7 anywhere close to Alabama for the rest of the season. It's a matter of the team playing with the same intensity for the rest of the schedule as they did against Alabama. I'm expecting us to go 11-0 the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll play,

Offense Play calling was atrocious. Way too conservative in 1st quarter and just not creative.

Clearly, the front 7 of Alabama is elite.

The OLIne is slightly above average, but, the run blocking is well below average. Cam looked confused and slow.

I would have passed and created tempo then set up the run.

Have to try to go vertical from time to time. I thought our WR was solid. Didnt get too much separation but i think there was a very simplistic route running tree.

King was not the King of last year. I am concerned about that.

Defense.

The worst part was the tackling. It was horrific. Guys were bouncing off of Bama players who were bigger and stronger.

The defense needs to get taller and stronger. No more 5 10 to 6 foot linebackers on this roster please. Need 6'1 to 6'4 dawg athletic linebackers to compete.

There were some breakdowns in the coverage, maybe due to Bolden leaving in the 1st quarter. The 94 yarder was a safety breakdown.

We have to be more disciplined. Too many penalties and turnovers.

I thought the run defense although not great was much improved.

I am far from an expert but we play so much zone defense. I am not sure why we dont play more man on man. I dont know if we can trust the DB's.

The lack of pass rush was also problematic.

The team played really hard tonight. They were spirited especially in the 2nd half.

We spotted Bama a 27 point lead midway through the 2nd quarter. Which is deplorable. Clearly Bama is much better coached and far more talented.

We lost the last half of the game by 4 points. And considering the loss of down on Bama's half yard line, the non-safety and the 94 yarder backbreaker all within a few minutes. We were at least competitive.

I think we are better in several areas than last year. Wide receiver, OL slightly better, QB play was not good yesterday.

On Defense, sceme against run was much better, the was improvement in interior DL.

Defensive Ends clearly a downgrade from last year.
Linebacker/striker play was better than last year. Average at best.
Db play the jury is out. Slightly better than last year. Stevenson was a factor but incomplete information on the backside of the defense. Losing Bolden, Balom and A William's is a factor.

The coastal is wide open open. North Carolina was exposed on Friday night. Go Canes!
I think you're right on point. The 1st half play calling was so conservative it put us in a bind and basically gave away any chance of making the game competitive. The 2nd half was much better and showed we could move the ball against Bama.

Defense is being mightily overlooked here. Alabama's offense was breaking in a hundred new guys in every skill position and a brand new coaching staff.... and we gave up 44 points?!?!

I knew our secondary was grossly overrated here but it was an embarrassing effort against mainly true freshman and sophomores.

Advertisement
I think OL is fine - maybe tweak scaife and put him back inside. Btw, what on earth happened to Jarrid Williams?

I think king will be fine but he’s certainly not 100%.

to me, the most concerning is the offense. We knew our defense would have issues bc of our front 7. But offense is supposed to be the strength - year 2 of lash/king, hugely improved OL and WR, etc. we were playing in a phone booth yesterday.
The ol is definitely better and I’m not as concerned about them as I was coming in. After Olawaseun came in they held up pretty **** well. There’s other issues I’m more concerned about like coaching and fundamentals. Tackling was the worst I’ve ever seen at Miami , last was horrible too.

Advertisement
Needed to use the quick pass game to open up the run to open up play action shots. Where’d the pop pass go? Is Mallory alive?

Or the mental cost of being put in a position of losing unprepared.
That performance was a result of an entire off-season's preparation. I highly doubt our young men spent the off-season making statements or promises to one another about beating Alabama. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to believe anything they say to one another going forward, spending the off-season lying to themselves or others

Advertisement
Back