Votes: 21 5.6%
  • Randy Shannon

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • Al Golden

Votes: 200 53.1%
  • Manny Diaz

Votes: 124 32.9%

• Total voters
You mean the guy who had Stephen Morris, Lamar Miller, and Allen Hurns playing against 2 win Maryland? Maryland beat us and an FCS team. That was it.

I know we’re not making excuses for Golden in 2022. He’d been a head coach before. At least Manny was new.

Uh, Bro. Stephen Morris was a freshman. Lol. He wasn’t the 2012 Morris. Bro was 7 TDs 9 ints that yr.

Advertisement
Just to be clear, I hate none of them. They tried their best and failed. I did vote for radio because he is the only one to coach at both UF and FSU. I know the man’s got to eat, but I don’t have to root for him either. I actually do root for all these guys as long as they are not at a rival school. Anything else just seems petty and a reflection of my poor character, not theirs.

None of the above. They were all hired to do a job and unfortunately for all it didn't work out. I'm sure every single one of them would still love to be coaching here as that would've meant they were successful.

Weird *** thread and hate for past coaches is lame as ****.
stripes lighten GIF

Advertisement
They were all really bad. Coker handed the keys and wrecked the Porsche. Shannon just a flat out disappointment. Golden as bad as he was at least had to deal with the Nevin scandal. Definitely hurt recruiting. Ah and now Manny. Just a flat out fraud. Remember TNM? All talk and record setting bad defense at two schools. No discipline and it showed.

Folden will always be worse IMO.

Diaz was horrendous, I’m not making any excuses for him or saying he wasn’t terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but the reverberations from how awful Folden was still lingered on long after he was gone & directly affected the program for YEARS.

Actually, giving Folden the excuse of “cloud over the program” is letting him off way easier than he should be. The cloud was not over the program, Folden was the cloud, he didn’t inherit a dead program, HE killed it. He shouldn’t get a 2 year out whatsoever; After Shannon was fired Miami could’ve hired Gary Patterson from TCU, Jimmy Johnson recommended him & personally vouched for him to the BOT. Charlie Strong, Sonny Dykes, Tommy Tuberville, Todd Graham & Skip Holtz were all available s potential coaches we could’ve hired to replace Shannon & if we weren’t a dirt cheap program at the time we definitely would have landed one of them with a simple amount of effort.

What does that have to do with Folden you might ask? Well, think about it like this, out of all those potential coaches I just mentioned for that time in 2010-2011, if hired them under the same circumstances as we did with Folden, do you think they’ve would’ve been as bad as Folden? Meaning, do you think any coach hired after Shannon was going to be as bad as Folden, or was Folden just as bad regardless of the circumstances?

Or another way to look at it; Does Folden turn us to a winning program under better circumstances?

Diaz had really embarrassing Game day results against inferior teams obviously, but lets not act like @ K-State, @ Notre lame in Chicago in 2012, @ FSU, @ Duke & vs LVille in Russell Athletic Bowl in 2013 weren’t any less bad or embarrassing.

It may be recency bias when it comes to Diaz, but I mean we’re really splitting hairs on varying degrees of bad lol

I guess I would frame with these two questions:

Which “best” season from the 3 Corch Triumphant would you pick?
- 2009 Randy Shannon
- 2013 AL Folden
- 2020 Manny Diaz

Which Bad season was the worst among the 3 Stooges?
- 2008 Randy Shannon
- 2014 Al Folden
- 2019 Manny Diaz
I will never forget the first game Golden coached ... Maryland was still in the ACC and UM lost to them in the opener. I had a gut wrenching feeling as I looked at Golden's embarrassed face as he shook hands with the MD coach at mid field. I thought "oh ****" this guy doesn't look like he can get it done. 6-6 record. Lost to any team with a pulse. Horrific defensive philosophy and play calling ... Golden's defensive guru was Al Groh ... who lost HIS HC job, took the DC job at Ga Tech under Paul Johnson ... and was fired by Johnson as his D sucked.

I will never forget the first game Golden coached ... Maryland was still in the ACC and UM lost to them in the opener. I had a gut wrenching feeling as I looked at Golden's embarrassed face as he shook hands with the MD coach at mid field. I thought "oh ****" this guy doesn't look like he can get it done. 6-6 record. Lost to any team with a pulse. Horrific defensive philosophy and play calling ... Golden's defensive guru was Al Groh ... who lost HIS HC job, took the DC job at Ga Tech under Paul Johnson ... and was fired by Johnson as his D sucked.
That Maryland team finished the season 2-10 smh lol

That was Randy Edsall’s first game as Maryland’s HC...

They threw the ball for 348yds on us & their Defense forced 5 turnovers on us.

It was an ominous sign of what we were in for for the next 5 years.

I don't hate any of these guys.

But man Golden's stubbornness was infuriating. Diaz tried, he really did. He made changes: he immediately cleaned house on the offensive side of the ball when he was hired, he fired Enos after a year, etc. He just wasn't a good coach.

Golden was such a ******* stubborn *******; a borderline narcissist with a strong, strong sense of loyalty, which hindered progress and improvement. I mean the ******* guy let Dorito run the defense for 5 years, holy ****. It was worse than insane.

Advertisement
Geez there have been some dark days fellas. What a **** show this administration has been. Long live Kirk Herbstreit. Thankful to be here now.

/ In conclusion (lol) Diaz took over a program he had been at, his players & a team 12 months removed from being ranked #2 at end of seasons.

FatAl inherited the cloud & a depleted Shannon rooster than just had their stuff pushed in at home by a terrible USF team. Impossible task to recruit & win.

Golden was a better coach.. just a worse fit.

At the end, he was defeated. Lifeless. No soul. I watched the man look up at the last banner & real tears come out. He couldn’t look at Dabo. Could not speak at press conference. Broken. Dead

I watched Manny lie, plot, excuse.. & almost get away with it. His parting letter said it all. Sleezy Politician

But man Golden's stubbornness was infuriating. Diaz tried, he really did. He made changes: he immediately cleaned house on the offensive side of the ball when he was hired, he fired Enos after a year, etc. He just wasn't a good coach.

Golden was such a ******* stubborn *******; a borderline narcissist with a strong, strong sense of loyalty, which hindered progress and improvement. I mean the ******* guy let Dorito run the defense for 5 years, holy ****. It was worse than insane.
It was Golden's defense ... period. At least he tried to recruit and had some successes on that level. Once his guys were gone Manny was screwed as he DID NOT recruit. Didn't have the personality for it. Golden and Dorito were both massive pricks as well. They wouldn't take any recommendations from staff and they alienated everyone in the building. He had a nice "public" image ... but was a genuine prick. I used to have coffee at Starbucks on US1 at 7:00 am with a small group ... and one worked as head of the film staff. Had worked under Butch, Coker, Randy and then Golden. Lasted 2 seasons and left for a job in the NFL. Didn't want to leave Miami but he said those two guys were intolerable. Ignorant and rude.

I dont hate any of them either, I blame the school administration, what a bunch of clowns. All those guys were put into a position they had no business being in. But yes, I remember Golden being stubborn, hanging on to Dorito despite his defenses being a laughing stock. That was some embarrassing **** man.

Advertisement
the only one I dont like is golden bc of how he held us hostage for weeks of no contact when he wanted the Penn state job

That moment also should’ve been a red flag to UM Admin regarding Blake James. This is y Golden shot str8 up to my hate list, but Diaz knocked him back on peg simply b/c of the overwhelming ****iness & in only 3 yrs, he turned back the hands of time. W/ all that I’ve posted & shared on this thread, as others have said, the real issue came from the top.

Advertisement
It’s Al Golden and it’s not even close. The other three guys should never have been hired. Miami isn’t the job for first time head coaches. Al Golden had been a head coach already. He already had his growing pains at Temple. He shouldn’t have been allowed to take his lumps at Miami too. It’s also no coincidence he had the worst win% of the group too. He’s also the only one that didn’t immediately get a coordinator position anywhere after he got fired. (Coker didn’t either but he got tabbed to he UTSA’s head coach in 2009.)

Manny, first, for all his BS. Did not feel bad at all that he was humiliated in the press. He humiliated the program with his epic failures against FIU, UNC, and so on. I hope he stays at Penn State long enough for Miami to somehow get on the schedule, bowl game, whatever, and run a bullet train on his defense. The worst defensive performance in PSU history. Urban and OSU beat Penn State 63-14 in 2013. OSU lead 42-7 at the half, rolled up 686 yards and 404 on the ground.

Golden, second, for all his misguided loyalty to Do’Nuts. Excuse maker. Hoping for a Miami-ND game before Golden gets his next chance at a HC a job. Beat his *** as ND DC, then schedule whomever hires him.

Coker, third, for destroying the greatest team in CFB. He was given a McLaren F-1 and returned a Yugo.

Shannon, no real dislike. As a former Cane for the JJ era we all wanted him to win. Didn’t work out. He was over his head. Taking jobs at UF and FSU are quite an insult though. But, everyone needs to earn a living. The gloves are off when the Noles come to Hard Rock later this season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back