Votes: 21 5.6%
  • Randy Shannon

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • Al Golden

Votes: 200 53.1%
  • Manny Diaz

Votes: 124 32.9%

• Total voters
It’s Al Golden and it’s not even close. The other three guys should never have been hired. Miami isn’t the job for first time head coaches. Al Golden had been a head coach already. He already had his growing pains at Temple. He shouldn’t have been allowed to take his lumps at Miami too. It’s also no coincidence he had the worst win% of the group too. He’s also the only one that didn’t immediately get a coordinator position anywhere after he got fired. (Coker didn’t either but he got tabbed to he UTSA’s head coach in 2009.)
Golden was shocked that he lost his FIRST game to a Maryland team coached by Randy Edsall. The look on his face that day ... was scary. He LOOKED scared and he COACHED scared. He knew the UM job was a big job and HE KNEW HE SHOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN THE JOB... he KNEW he was in over his head.

Advertisement
For me it’s like thinking back to the darkness which helps appreciate the brightness properly.
But I guess we’re not all the same.
If it was just a mature reflecting of the past and discussing changes that need to be made then I would agree with you.

But usually threads like this fall into the immature toilet of name calling and swearing that has no point to it.

Randy had every opportunity to be a good head coach. He spit in the faces of local high school coaches and kids. He kissed Donna’s ***. Instead of protecting this program, he cared only about politics. Nevin was 100% on him. Golden was an idiot, but he wasn’t as stupid as Randy. Idiot

Advertisement
I watched Manny lie, plot, excuse.. & almost get away with it. His parting letter said it all. Sleezy Politician
Golden did this to get an extension and during the Penn St. debacle. Everyone considered him a sleazy car salesman for a reason. Watching Golden coach here was like watching a bad marriage where neither party can leave due to financial reasons, so they both stare at each other across the room hating each other.

In Manny's defense, he's clearly bitter that the school used virtually no resources to improve the program while he was here. While canning him as a scapegoat (deservedly so), gives the next guy SEC-level resources. I'm sure in Manny's mind, he believes he would have succeeded with those kinds of resources.

It’s Al Golden and it’s not even close. The other three guys should never have been hired. Miami isn’t the job for first time head coaches. Al Golden had been a head coach already. He already had his growing pains at Temple. He shouldn’t have been allowed to take his lumps at Miami too. It’s also no coincidence he had the worst win% of the group too. He’s also the only one that didn’t immediately get a coordinator position anywhere after he got fired. (Coker didn’t either but he got tabbed to he UTSA’s head coach in 2009.)

I just want to focus on ur middle statement for a second: “It’s also no coincidence he had the worst win % of the group.”

OK, let’s compare opponents at the time:

Coker (2001 - ‘06):
Opponents combined record 514-407 (.558)
-Faced 10+ win teams 15x

Shannon (2007 - ‘10):
Opponents combined record 375-278 (.570)
-Faced 10+ win teams 11x

Golden (2011 - ‘15*):
Opponents combined record 226-92 (.570)
-Faced 10+ win teams 12x
*Here for half the 2015 season

Richt (2016 - ‘18):
Opponents combined record 274-218 (.560)
-Faced 10+ win teams 9x

Diaz (2019 - ‘21):
Opponents combined record (.560)
-Faced 10+ win teams 7x

Now, based upon this, it could be argued both Shannon & Golden faced stiffer competition than Richt, Diaz, & even Coker. Yes, it’s true, it’s **** true Golden went 0-5 vs. FSU, but this wasn’t the same FSU squad that Coker, Shannon, Richt, & Diaz had the privilege of playing.

Coker had the privilege of playing a FSU team that went 51-26 (.660) w/ one 10 win season in 6 yrs

Shannon had the privilege of playing a FSU team that went 33-20 (.622) w/ one 10 win season in 4 yrs

Richt had the privilege of playing a FSU team that went 22-16 (.578) w/ one 10 win season in 3 yrs

Diaz had the ultimate privilege of playing a FSU team that went 14-20 (.411) w/ not even a single winning season in 3 yrs.

Golden? He faced the reincarnate FSU who went 58-10 (.852) in 4.5 yrs, winning 10 games in 4 of the 4.5 yrs he was coach.

And despite Diaz facing the worst stretch of FSU SINCE 1959 - ‘61, Diaz STILL found a way to give up a 4th & 14 and a win.

I hate Golden, 2014 showed me who Golden was as a person & coach; however, I can “reasonably” rationalize that Golden was hired under false pretense & dealt w/ a lingering NCAA investigation. I can reasonably say Golden dealt w/ an ACC schedule that contained a resurgent FSU (Nat’l Champions), an up & coming Clemson squad w/ Dabo in his prime, a Duke team that became a formidable football program under Cutcliffe from 2013-15, & he had to deal w/ a GT squad that became ACC Coastal & a NY6 bowl winner during his time.

Here’s the ACC Coastal record while Golden was here vs. Diaz:
GT: 36-30 vs. 9-25
Duke: 28-24 vs. 10-25
UNC: 28-23 vs. 21-17
UVA: 19-30 vs. 20-16
VT: 40-26 vs. 19-18
Pitt: 13-13* vs. 25-13
*Pitt Joined ACC in ‘13 & Golden faced them 2wice

Diaz clearly faced a much more watered down ACC Coastal than Golden w/ only UVA & Pitt improving during his tenure, yet
He went 1-1 (barely) against GT
He went 2-1 against Duke
He went 0-3 against UNC
He went 2-1 against VT

How he went 5-1 against the improved Pitt & UVA is the irony of all ironies, but facing the bottom feeders w/ a clip of 5-6 is an indictment.

Good stuff @Rellyrell . I think people allow feelings to cloud (pun) their judgment. Diaz & Folden inherited two totally different situations. Night & day.

Cloud/Suspensions/Shannon roster vs Diaz’s own players (knew system) /recent previous success

Must be said.. Shannon better be glad he’s a Cane lol

Advertisement
Easy answer. 4th and 14, allowed two rbs to rush for over 500 yards in the same game, FIU!!!!! And you top that off with a LA tech shut out. I think we have an obvious winner.

Sucks because I was actually rooting for dude at the start.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I hate none of them. They tried their best and failed. I did vote for radio because he is the only one to coach at both UF and FSU. I know the man’s got to eat, but I don’t have to root for him either. I actually do root for all these guys as long as they are not at a rival school. Anything else just seems petty and a reflection of my poor character, not theirs.
Let’s see…

Shannon—co-DC at FSU

Golden—DC at Notre Lame

Diaz—DC at vile Penn State

Yup, that pretty much covers it.

Let’s see…

Shannon—co-DC at FSU

Golden—DC at Notre Lame

Diaz—DC at vile Penn State

Yup, that pretty much covers it.
I personally don’t consider ND or PSU on the same level as UF/FSU. PSU would list Michigan, OSU, MSU, WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse before even thinking about Miami. They still list probably another 5 or 10 teams after those before they get to Miami.
0A9FB39E-167C-420F-A0F6-FB1F50F8E486.jpeg
AA93D7E1-8C59-48D6-84A4-7C30335AD145.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never fully blamed the coaches. These dudes, like all other dudes, took this job as anyone would have. The real problem previously was that the President/ Office of the President, BoT, and AD were all too weak to make the right choice for head coach. There was no alignment in prioritizing the program, and the decision-makers were garbage. They weren't winners and didn't pick any either. The biggest disappointment I would say is Golden who came in with head coaching experience. Shannon and Diaz were destined to fail because of their many flaws.

Advertisement
Diaz by a landslide.

Coker was a substitute teacher who meant well, but was in over his head. Outside of retiring after the Peach Bowl, not much more the man could've done.

Shannon is a former player, was a good assistant and recruiter and never should've been put in charge—but the administration was cheap and has no game plan for 2007 after Greg Schiano turned the job down. Shannon didn't have the CEO portion of the job down and lacked the leadership skills or personality to be the face of the program, a leader of an entire team or boss to a coaching staff. Lifer assistant; never was head coaching material.

Golden was the biggest fraud of the bunch; an empty suit with padded stats—a modicum of "success" at Temple, his big dumb binder, his tie, his "are you kidding me" presser. He was off-brand from day one (a product of Joe Paterno and Al Groh) and he was an excuse-maker who always tried to cite any positive, when the result was a colossal beating or lopsided loss.

Diaz took the cake, though. Writing was on the wall with him from his Texas defensive coordinator days. Canned and demoted, built his resume back up at Louisiana Tech and Mississippi State—where average was good enough and he was "ready" for the next opportunity.

All smoke and mirrors with Manny; the yacht, the cigars, the edgy Twitter game early on, the stupid tackling dummies with "7-6" only to go 6-7, losing to FIU years one. No control of his players—wanting to be liked and accepted instead of feared and respected; not one leadership quality to be found anywhere within the man—a perennial assistant who never should've been a head coach .... but politics played in his favor.

The fact he was "protected" because of his family's pull in the city; nauseating—and will forever celebrate "4th-and-14" with his old man on the sideline with him in Tallahassee for that back-breaking loss. Without that, this yahoo is probably still at Miami (or at least would've been harder to run off) ... and when you read Barry Jackson's latest piece regarding how he ran the show, wanted to buddy-up to players so they wouldn't leave the program, played a kid like Jarren Williams after he insulted Diaz by missing curfew pre-FIU .... this wasn't even the inmates running the asylum, this was a teacher's assistant being put in charge of the class and having no clue how to handle the gig.

Good riddance to all, though "hate" is a silly word here. Nothing personal against any of these guys, outside the fact they all set the rebuild and comeback back a country mile.

View attachment 201928
So basically Manny was weak

No hate for Coker imo we shouldve given him another season to see what changes he would’ve made. Randy Shannon was the lamest pulling stunts like taking the names off the back of jerseys for the sake of “discipline.” Plus the way he handled Hester shouldve disqualified him from consideration to be HC in the first place. All in all “Diaz was the worst HC in Miami history setting new lows that I had no idea existed 🗑 🗑

Just in case ppl r misremembering the absolute dog chit that was put on us in historic fashion, & had the audacity to lose to these fools again last season!

Advertisement
Recency bias has clouded some of you guys.

At the very least, Coker, Shannon and Diaz had successful stints as coordinators here so that immediately puts them all above Golden. Golden did nothing positive here. His best season was the one he got fired halfway through. They were actually better without him than with him.

I don't hate the coaches.... hate the bumbling, cheapskate imbecils in the administration who hired them.

Last edited:
I don't hate Shannon, Coker, or Manny. They were all 1st time head coaches in way over their heads. But I do believe each loved the university and wanted the best and tried their best, albeit unsuccessfully. Golden, OTOH, ***** him. He claimed he was misled by the administration, sued us and likely viewed his tenure here as a mere padding of his bank accounts. I don't think he ever really cared. So he's the only one I can say I dislike.

Advertisement
Back