• Randy Shannon

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • Al Golden

Votes: 200 53.1%
  • Manny Diaz

Votes: 124 32.9%

• Total voters
Advertisement
FIU, Florida International University, probably known more for their marine biology program than any sport, was up 16-3 going into the 4th qtr! They had a 13-0 HT lead. Bro, I know Clemson smoked us 58-0, but it was Clemson, a Clemson team that lost a back & forth shoot out against Bama in the Nat’l Championship game. U can’t compare getting blown out by a Nat’l Championship contending team to losing to a G5 team THAT NEVER beat a P5 team IN ITS HISTORY! And it happened on the soil of our old crib.
I was laughing like a mad scientist during that game based on what I was seeing unfold. It was incredible. Diaz should have been fired on the spot. Anyone who wasn’t up in arms against BJ for not doing so that game is suspect.

Golden easily, guy was around here with his bull**** for 5 years.

Brendon Urie No GIF by Panic! At The Disco
Diaz.....................x100...............Over his head, incompetent, smoke and mirrors........Ughhhhhh.

Advertisement
don't hate any of them but I voted for Manny here. just can't remember a lack of excitement around UM football like the last few years. Golden at least put some pretty fun offenses on the field, there were guys during that era I really liked watching. I rooted hard for those teams even though they were average and Golden was a lame. Manny's teams were a complete drag, I rooted for the games to be over more than I did for us to win. last season there was some excitement on offense once TVD took over but the defense was as depressing as anything from the Golden days and the stadium was just dead for every single game. you add in the faux bravado that was never backed up and it sapped my interest in actually sitting and watching UM games like nothing else in the last 20 years.

Voted for Golden and given the recency-Bias with Manny (I’d put him at 2) it says something that more than half the board still voted the same. Incidentally he is also the coach who former players seem to have the lowest opinion of.

Coker, Shannon, and Diaz cared about the program but just couldn't do the job. Golden didn't give a **** about Miami.
Four had valid excuses.

Shannon - was given little money to use on the football program, at precisely the time that college football spending was rapidly escalating
Golden - NCAA investigation blunted the recruiting momentum he could have built in 2012 and 2013
Richt - Inherited a program that was down 9 scholarships
Diaz - Inherited a subpar quarterback room and a woeful offensive line

Meanwhile Larry Coker the greatest football team of all time, was unsuccessful in recruiting quarterbacks and wide receivers despite two consecutive national championship appearances, and by 2006 had presided over a decline to a mid-tier power.

Lotta revisionist history here.

1. Golden came here under false pretense, did he not?

2. Was there not a cloud around the program by the NCAA?

Listen, I hate Golden, but would u not have some hard feelings when u take a job & after u sign the contract the employer goes: “Great; hey, btw…so there’s something that may or may not come up, but u should be alright?”

However this Diaz notion about caring for the program, lol; was that before or after his buddy-buddy staff hires? Was that after throwing his DC under the bus, just to hire himself as DC? Was that before turning down help from former players or what? Was that before or after throwing shade at the coach that gave him a second chance? Maybe u thought he cared b/c he gave out participation trophies. Maybe b/c after bragging about Enos being a HR, he hired Lashlee immediately thereafter; or possibly, it was b/c he took a solo picture at Kenan Memorial Stadium after yet another loss to UNC.

Irindubitablyregardless, I believe it’s a bit disingenuous to say Diaz cared about the program, ESPECIALLY after his exit letter made to the media. Even Joy, who’s self described as petty, said it was tasteless. Diaz cared about himself, as he think he’s the smartest in the room; Golden was full of chit, but yeah he probably did have some resentment that 3 yrs of his coaching career was under less than ideal circumstances that he was not made aware of. Verdict? ALL OF THE ABOVE.
1. Potentially. The Sun Sentinel ran a story about Shapiro in Nov 2010. It's possible, if not likely that his team did not make him aware of what a local paper was reporting.

2. Absolutely, and I think Golden's greatest strength (salesmanship) was blunted in 2012 by the legitimate threat that Miami was going to either get the death penalty or a 4 year bowl ban. He did quite well that year, all things considered.

3. The 2011 signing class was wrecked when Golden took over - we had just two recruits left when he was hired. The class was filled with 3 stars as a result. Granted, Mario showed what a coach can do on one week's notice, but Cristobal had the cache of his record with Oregon coming in. Golden was the Temple coach.

4. There was tremendous turnover and attrition in Randy's last year, including the 2011 signing class. I don't have the numbers in front of me but Golden faced a situation where the bulk of the blue chip talent were 3rd and 4th year players going into the 2011 season. He needed to have a Top 3 recruiting class just to keep the overall blue chip ratio the same in 2012, and the Cloud took care of that.

That said, the defensive scheme and his unwillingness to change it is what did him in.

Advertisement
No hate for Coker imo we shouldve given him another season to see what changes he would’ve made. Randy Shannon was the lamest pulling stunts like taking the names off the back of jerseys for the sake of “discipline.” Plus the way he handled Hester shouldve disqualified him from consideration to be HC in the first place. All in all “Diaz was the worst HC in Miami history setting new lows that I had no idea existed 🗑 🗑
Coker might have won one more game in 2007 due to continuity of assistant coaches, but the damage was done by that point. He had failed to successfully recruit wide receivers. We'd entered 2006 with just six scholarship wide receivers, and after starting 5-2 that year we were down to just three healthy players.

There was a reason that Shannon signed six wide receivers in 2008's class.

Randy had every opportunity to be a good head coach. He spit in the faces of local high school coaches and kids. He kissed Donna’s ***. Instead of protecting this program, he cared only about politics. Nevin was 100% on him. Golden was an idiot, but he wasn’t as stupid as Randy. Idiot
Can you share more about that? Curious on some of the details.

A few things I remember from that time that I'd read...

- It was Shannon who first damaged the relationship with SFL high school coaches
- An NFL scout supposedly said once that his Hurricanes were the worst coached team in college football

Advertisement
AL Golden. The fact that he allowed to ND to run a simple hb dive every play on one drive for a td. They avg like yrds a run and didn't change one thing.

I see the obvious arguments for Diaz and Golden but it’s always going to be Coker for me.

He ****ed up a dynasty and unraveled a monstrous program in just a couple years. The others added to the damage but it always has left a real ‘what-if’ for me when I think about what Coker had, what he did, and what could have been for a while (not even if butch had stayed longer but we hired a competent coach, after he left).

With Coker: you could SEE what we were and what we were going to be. You couldn’t see that with the other options in this poll as clearly and it drives me crazy. The other dip****s in this poll are always a reference to the time period (or 80s and some 90s) as a hypothetical marker of what this program could be. Coker blew it.

I don’t care how grandfatherly he was.
Guys have recency bias.

its coker for me and for the same reasons.

Worse part about it i was in high school an college during this time playing ollege football.

Could not believe the type of recruits we took coming off a national championship and basically 2 of them.

Its Coker...if he was even half way competent we have maybe another 2 rings...and our uphill climb wouldnt be so bad as it has been

Advertisement
Guys have recency bias.

Worse part about it i was in high school an college during this time playing ollege football.

Could not believe the type of recruits we took coming off a national championship and basically 2 of them.

Its Coker...if he was even half way competent we have maybe another 2 rings...and our uphill climb wouldnt be so bad as it has been

Imma be honest, it can’t be Coker for me simply b/c he should have two nat’l titles, 2003 he beat UF, & FSU twice including for the Orange Bowl, & beat UF in the Peach Bowl the following yr. Yes, he started the down fall trend & legit should’ve been asked to step down after 2005, since that was the writing on the wall.

I’m the type that don’t do recency bias. I gave tangible evidence as to y I picked Diaz b/c we ain’t never seen nothing like what happened in the modern era of Canes football. Plus, Diaz got everything he wanted. Richt set him up nicely, upgraded facilities, & we paid $9m for this dude per a posted allocated funds sheets on here. We gave him $1m for Enos, instead of getting a new scheme, this ******* hired himself as the DC & despite the horrific 2020 season on the defensive side, the defense got worst. Then this fool started lobbying for his job blaming everyone else for his f ups.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t qualified, it’s that everyone else wasn’t qualified except for him in his own mind. Finally, we’ve heard the countless stories from recruits, parents, former players, of an unwelcoming spirit & lack of communication Diaz had. And he threw a shot at the school that resurrected his bum *** image. So nah, there is no recency bias, it’s tangible evidence why he’s now #1 (in my KRS voice)

Guys have recency bias.

Absolutely correct. Messing up a dynasty and the greatest cfb talent ever collected HAS to be the answer.

slip n slides or greasy local politicians or utilizing outdated defensive and weightlifting concepts or hurting recruiting locally are far less relevant than the all encompassing disaster that Coker was.

Coker destroyed our recruiting and player development which was amazing before he took over (no evaluation and only top 100 lists). He literally placated Devin Hester to offense and basically relinquished an entire team gameplan in the peach bowl just to satisfy or make sure one guy was getting touches.

Actually it’s even worse: if it wasn’t for Hester in some of those games which he single handedly won, Coker’s W-L record would have been even worse. That’s how bad he was and literally how quickly we went to a program that USC badly wanted to emulate to the garbage we’ve mainly seen ever since.

There is no other answer to someone wrecking a dynasty.

Advertisement
Back