Wherein I explain why I'm still a slurper

"... If he's loses games to teams he should not, maybe I'll change my mind..."
"Since he has lost several games to teams he should not and play against quality opponents has been terribly uneven (embarrassing actually), maybe I'll just keep defending him."

👆Fixed if for you.

It's your perrogative to charge up this hill.

We shall sing songs in your honor.

Advertisement
1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.
Gotta love that you wrote out bullet points to show why you support a coach that is ***.

The biggest thing for me is just the overall lack of focus and execution this team shows every single week under Manny.

I understand offenses will sometimes have off games. I understand defenses will sometimes have off games. Same with special teams. I understand sometimes you need ugly wins against inferior teams. Totally agreed this happens to everyone. Yes even Bama.

But we continue to have issues with penalties. We continue to look ill prepared game after game. We continue to have lapses in focus. We continue to see players making the same mistakes (WRs dropping balls, LBs not being able to tackle).

This is all coaching. And makes me believe Manny will never figure it out regardless of the transfers he gets and/or coaching talent he convinces to join him.
And you continue to see no accountability for these mistakes through decreased playing time. Harley drops two passes, right back out on the first drive of the second half.

1631465958970.gif

Advertisement
The biggest thing for me is just the overall lack of focus and execution this team shows every single week under Manny.

I understand offenses will sometimes have off games. I understand defenses will sometimes have off games. Same with special teams. I understand sometimes you need ugly wins against inferior teams. Totally agreed this happens to everyone. Yes even Bama.

But we continue to have issues with penalties. We continue to look ill prepared game after game. We continue to have lapses in focus. We continue to see players making the same mistakes (WRs dropping balls, LBs not being able to tackle).

This is all coaching. And makes me believe Manny will never figure it out regardless of the transfers he gets and/or coaching talent he convinces to join him.
It’s posts like these that make me confused. These are all solid points and I can’t dispute them. So, is it the lack of talent or coaching that explains the team’s subpar performance? I lean more towards the talent but in truth it’s probably a combination of the two. I remember Golden used to say “players before plays” and we saw where that got him.

Fair point. I'm basically giving him a pass for the first year. That team was impossible. Worst kicker in college football. Pothead quarter back.

I'm just looking for improvement year to year. I've watched enough college football to know that sometimes coaches take a while to get going. I'm still looking for a 10 win season counting the bowl.
He started the pothead QB. He hired the worst OC at Miami in decades. He hired Blake Baker. He continued to run out Baxa.

This is Manny’s disaster. Period.

He started the pothead QB. He hired the worst OC at Miami in decades. He hired Blake Baker. He continued to run out Baxa.

Lol. Who else was a kicker on that team? You put one of the Borregales on that team and it wins four more games.

I said I'm open to change in my mind. Are any of the Manny haters open to changing their minds? What if the team looks a lot better against Michigan State? I'd be surprised if King doesn't look better over the course of the season. He's got talent and leadership skills and the coaching needs to figure out a way to utilize it.

Advertisement
I could not agree more OP.

Like I always say, it’s tough to win football games.

This was an inspiring performance by the coaches and the players. This comeback was nothing short of legendary and people are complaining about a win?!

It could be a lot worse. Mario almost choked away a win yesterday while we fought hard and never gave up to complete the impossible.

Lol. Who else was a kicker on that team? You put one of the Borregales on that team and it wins four more games.

I said I'm open to change in my mind. Are any of the Manny haters open to changing their minds? What if the team looks a lot better against Michigan State? I'd be surprised if King doesn't look better over the course of the season. He's got talent and leadership skills and the coaching needs to figure out a way to utilize it.
What more do you need to see? He’s barely over .500 in 25+ games. His own position group is the worst on the team. He’s been here 6 years. He’s 2-2 against G5 teams with the two wins being gifted to him. If we look good against MSU it would be an outlier with zero evidence that it will happen again after that.

Certain people and programs are playing by a different set of rules AND getting lucky

we have now missed on head coaches for 20 straight years it might as well be, let that sink in. We should annihilate app state, don't give me none of this bull**** otherwise. We trade coaching staffs and miami gets thumped at home.

the program is either cursed, or has such horrible luck that it might as well be cursed.

The return man was super fast

I agree. I believe he clocked 40 mph during that return considering he blew past our 20 mph team. It happens. We likely won’t see that kind of speed again during conference play.

Advertisement
1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.
Just happy we got the win. App State is a very good team with good coaching. The offense they run is similar to a triple option thing and can be tough to defend. MSU has a similar offense and they've shored up their defense with players from the portal. King will need to have a better game next Sat. He and Mallory need to get on the same page and Harley needs to catch the ball.

I could not agree more OP.

Like I always say, it’s tough to win football games.

This was an inspiring performance by the coaches and the players. This comeback was nothing short of legendary and people are complaining about a win?!

It could be a lot worse. Mario almost choked away a win yesterday while we fought hard and never gave up to complete the impossible.
Dumb

He actually tried all kicker including a walk on. he played both Qbs, and fired Enos, who was supposed to be amazing. and let his friend baker go . He's trying and adjusting after identifying mistakes. He may not be it and might be gone soon but he's trying to fix **** at least.

Advertisement
It’s posts like these that make me confused. These are all solid points and I can’t dispute them. So, is it the lack of talent or coaching that explains the team’s subpar performance? I lean more towards the talent but in truth it’s probably a combination of the two. I remember Golden used to say “players before plays” and we saw where that got him.
If it is the talent, doesn’t that still come back to Diaz, particularly on the defensive side of the ball? He has been here 6 years running that side. Why do we have these talent and numbers issues at DE and LB? Either he isn’t recruiting the right guys or he isn’t developing them. He was an Lb coach. How is it possible to have LBs this bad?

He actually tried all kicker including a walk on. he played both Qbs, and fired Enos, who was supposed to be amazing. and let his friend baker go . He's trying and adjusting after identifying mistakes. He may not be it and might be gone soon but he's trying to fix **** at least.
Changes are overrated when the changes don’t work. How many bad hires is he afforded? He’s the one constant. It falls on him.

One thing about the return is the rules make it almost impossible now but we try pin teams deep in their zone instead of just kicking it out of the end zone everytime. It burned us against NcState last year and now today. Just kick the ball out of the end zone and let them start at the 25 because our "coverage" is awful.
Conversely, it seems like every other return we make ends up with us penalized and starting with bad field position.

Just a loss is not enough for you to change your mind? Do we have to be blown out? You're diehard Manny's man I see.

Advertisement
Back