Wherein I explain why I'm still a slurper

Advertisement
You mentioned a statistical outlier as if it is fact. Do you have any evidence for this claim? I don't think so but id like to see. In Beamer's 6th year at Virginia Tech he was 2 and 8 with a horrible overall record. Sometimes continuity isnt a bad thing. No way what I wait 6 years for Frank Beamer's record. That would be crazy in today's era. All I am saying is I'm looking for a year over year improvement, and most importantly, I'm looking for steady recruiting. Eventually talent always wins out and coaching is so overrated (other than the acquisition of talent).

What sample size is too small then? Florida State lost to Jacksonville State in what's his name second year. Is that sample size large enough?

It's just dumb to overreact to wins.
Go pull up every coach that was fired after four or five years and add Beamer and Dabo. There is your denominator. It is a small percentage. You can hold on to a 1% glimmer of statistical hope. I will trust my eyes and experiences.

Let me turn it around. What fundamental improvements have you seen since he has taken over as head coach to make you think he is moving forward? You said yourself guys are regressing and not developing. We still can’t tackle. Six years in of Manny running the defense and we don’t have DEs or LBs. He is a **** coach.

1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.
Playing like *** and winning but not caring that we played like *** is like ignoring a giant tumor growing out of your forehead because you are still feeling fine right now. Proactive vs reactive. I am no expert but I can **** well tell you that ya might want to look into that giant lump on your head.

Go pull up every coach that was fired after four or five years and add Beamer and Dabo. There is your denominator. It is a small percentage. You can hold on to a 1% glimmer of statistical hope. I will trust my eyes and experiences.

Let me turn it around. What fundamental improvements have you seen since he has taken over as head coach to make you think he is moving forward? You said yourself guys are regressing and not developing. We still can’t tackle. Six years in of Manny running the defense and we don’t have DEs or LBs. He is a **** coach.
People pretend Manny just showed up 2.1 years ago.

Advertisement
Missed most of the game yesterday because my mom fell and I had to drive up from our place in the Keys.

What I did see late was pretty uninspired. We seem to have regressed offensively and defensively we again had issues getting off the field on 3rd down.

Overall I agree with your premise. Put a mix of teams 10-40 on the field and anyone can beat anyone. We’re one of those teams.

Relieved not happy with the win. We’ll see what Michigan State brings.
Hope she is alright man God bless. Agree with the rest. We will see what next week brings.

Some background here. I was the guy who urged Paul Dee to fire Butch Davis and took little satisfaction in Paul’s email the night Butch dumped us saying, “You were right”. But, Manny has lost my trust. Yes, unlike others, he has tried to change staff where needed. But, those changes have largely been unsuccessful. Yes, he has recruited better, but we still take too many scraps left by the top teams. Yes, he has worked the portal well, but the fact that transfers are your best players shows your staff doesn’t develop players like other staffs do. I had hoped for a Coastal winning season. But, I am emotionally prepared to lose to UNC and teams like NC St. UVA, and Pitt. Not predicting losses just preparing for them. Perhaps I should fish more Saturdays.

Advertisement
People pretend Manny just showed up 2.1 years ago.
It is incredible the mental gymnastics people go through to ignore the facts. I want Manny to succeed. It is very much in our best interest for him to do so. But based off of a mountain of evidence, the odds of that happening are getting lower and lower and the window is getting smaller. I prefer to live in a rational real world and in that world, Manny is the more likely than not the next in line of coaching busts at Miami.

1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.
Our biggest issue right now is coaching. If we won by 2 against App State and we played a Fundamentally and Technically sound game, no one would be calling for Manny and Kings head but we didn't... Our players look lost out there.. our offense has zero sense of identity, it literally looks like we just ask Madden over and over again with a generic spread playbook, you see no pattern what so ever. Our tackling is **** poor because they are not getting coached up properly, App State has a bunch of low 3 Stars and yet they can tackle better us? It's due to them being coached properly! We have countless missed Assignments and our defense looks like every man for himself like in Pee Wee football were every play you just do your own thing. It's a mess, Diaz is just not detail oriented enough. We either have STUPID players who are not smart enough to learn a basic scheme and fundamentals, or it's due to our coaching. It's one of the two

Fair point. I'm basically giving him a pass for the first year. That team was impossible. Worst kicker in college football. Pothead quarter back.

I'm just looking for improvement year to year. I've watched enough college football to know that sometimes coaches take a while to get going. I'm still looking for a 10 win season counting the bowl.
unicorn-***.gif

Missed most of the game yesterday because my mom fell and I had to drive up from our place in the Keys.

What I did see late was pretty uninspired. We seem to have regressed offensively and defensively we again had issues getting off the field on 3rd down.

Overall I agree with your premise. Put a mix of teams 10-40 on the field and anyone can beat anyone. We’re one of those teams.

Relieved not happy with the win. We’ll see what Michigan State brings.
Hope your mom is okay.

Advertisement

You're part of the problem if you really believe that nonsense you just typed. Go root for North Dakota State. Welcome to the ignore button.

Advertisement
You're part of the problem if you really believe that nonsense you just typed. Go root for North Dakota State. Welcome to the ignore button.
You know the Chappelle Show R Kelly trial skit where they ask him what it would take to find him guilty and he goes on about what would have to be on the video… that’s these people with admitting that Manny is a **** coach.

Eventually talent always wins out and coaching is so overrated (other than the acquisition of talent).
👆You see this fact playing out everywhere in sports. In European soccer, there are only a handful of teams that can ever be champions in a given year. English, Italian, German, French leagues - it doesn’t matter, the same teams rule each league and have for literally decades. They are (and have been) the richest and can afford to buy the best players.

The biggest thing for me is just the overall lack of focus and execution this team shows every single week under Manny.

I understand offenses will sometimes have off games. I understand defenses will sometimes have off games. Same with special teams. I understand sometimes you need ugly wins against inferior teams. Totally agreed this happens to everyone. Yes even Bama.

But we continue to have issues with penalties. We continue to look ill prepared game after game. We continue to have lapses in focus. We continue to see players making the same mistakes (WRs dropping balls, LBs not being able to tackle).

This is all coaching. And makes me believe Manny will never figure it out regardless of the transfers he gets and/or coaching talent he convinces to join him.

Advertisement
Back