Wherein I explain why I'm still a slurper

1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.

Advertisement
I have several questions but I’ll leave with just a few

1. why are you still basing his ability to win at a sustained high level on only these games when we have a 26 game sample size now? If you aren’t, what have you seen over these two seasons that gives you hope that he’s the right guy?
2. Will we ever consistently win under Manny? **** contending, just win? He’s 4 games above .500. If yes, what makes you think that? If no, why are we still employing him?

ill hang up and listen

I have several questions but I’ll leave with just a few

1. why are you still basing his ability to win at a sustained high level on only these games when we have a 26 game sample size now? If you aren’t, what have you seen over these two seasons that gives you hope that he’s the right guy?
2. Will we ever consistently win under Manny? **** contending, just win? He’s 4 games above .500. If yes, what makes you think that? If no, why are we still employing him?

ill hang up and listen
Fair point. I'm basically giving him a pass for the first year. That team was impossible. Worst kicker in college football. Pothead quarter back.

I'm just looking for improvement year to year. I've watched enough college football to know that sometimes coaches take a while to get going. I'm still looking for a 10 win season counting the bowl.

1. I know we are college football fans, so by definition we are irrational and emotional, but I'm not going to ever be completely unhappy with a win. F style points, just give me the W. I'm not saying we are even a good team, but big programs lose games to s***** teams every year. This weekend Notre Dame almost lost, Texas lost to a horrible Arkansas team, Florida State lost, etc.

2. App State is not that bad. They played ECU much better than South Carolina played them for what's that's worth, and their transfers were legit athletes. The return man was super fast and their linebackers were legit. There's a reason it was a seven point spread. But for the ridiculous 100 yard return, people would be complaining but not to this level.

3. The ACC is ***. Nothing has happened in these first two games that leads me to think we still aren't the favorite for the coastal. Certainly not worse than a co-favorite.

4. If we get blown out by Michigan State, maybe I'll change my mind. If we beat Michigan State by one point, I'll be happy. Just win.

5. I don't know why our fourth and fifth year players are not better. Bad development, bad scouting, bad culture. But luckily our transfers are legit. King had a bad game. But he's had enough good games over many years to make me believe he's better than he played today. The rest of the season will tell the tale.

Reading comprehension was never my strength, but what do any of your points have to do with slurping Manny?

I thought Manny slurpers were the fans that refuse to acknowledge Manny’s fault, and think the team is in an upward trajectory..

you just seem like a fairly rational fan

Last edited:
Advertisement
Reading comprehension was never my strength, but what do any of your points have to do with slurping Manny?

I thought Manny slurpers were the fans that refuse to acknowledge Manny’s fault, and think the team is an upward trajectory..

you just seem like a fairly rational fan
I'm definitely rational. But I thought slurpers were anybody who didn't want to fire Manny today or yesterday or tomorrow. I'm still hoping the team can win enough that he can continue to recruit well, and eventually the talent will win out over inexperienced but hopefully improving coaching.

Fair point. I'm basically giving him a pass for the first year. That team was impossible. Worst kicker in college football. Pothead quarter back.

I'm just looking for improvement year to year. I've watched enough college football to know that sometimes coaches take a while to get going. I'm still looking for a 10 win season counting the bowl.
I see a max 7 win season.

Honestly I have nothing bad to say about your post. I won’t insult you either, I find that childish. That said, you will be disappointed . I have seen this movie before. In fact, I saw it 5 years ago. As such, I will sit back and watch as you amd other posters come to the same conclusion I did when Richt retired.

Honestly I have nothing bad to say about your post. I won’t insult you either, I find that childish. That said, you will be disappointed . I have seen this movie before. In fact, I saw it 5 years ago. As such, I will sit back and watch as you amd other posters come to the same conclusion I did when Richt retired.
We have a PhD in spotting loser coaches at this point. We know how this story ends, but some of us (OP) are still clutching their jimmies about Dabo taking a couple of years to get going. He was a heavy statistical outlier. We have enough games behind Diaz as head coach now, and certainly enough when you include his time as DC. He is a loser and anyone still grasping at straws that he isn’t is living in a fantasy world.

Advertisement
We have a PhD in spotting loser coaches at this point. We know how this story ends, but some of us (OP) are still clutching their jimmies about Dabo taking a couple of years to get going. He was a heavy statistical outlier. We have enough games behind Diaz as head coach now, and certainly enough when you include his time as DC. He is a loser and anyone still grasping at straws that he isn’t is living in a fantasy world.
You mentioned a statistical outlier as if it is fact. Do you have any evidence for this claim? I don't think so but id like to see. In Beamer's 6th year at Virginia Tech he was 2 and 8 with a horrible overall record. Sometimes continuity isnt a bad thing. No way what I wait 6 years for Frank Beamer's record. That would be crazy in today's era. All I am saying is I'm looking for a year over year improvement, and most importantly, I'm looking for steady recruiting. Eventually talent always wins out and coaching is so overrated (other than the acquisition of talent).

What sample size is too small then? Florida State lost to Jacksonville State in what's his name second year. Is that sample size large enough?

It's just dumb to overreact to wins.

2gn5dm.jpg

You mentioned a statistical outlier as if it is fact. Do you have any evidence for this claim? I don't think so but id like to see. In Beamer's 6th year at Virginia Tech he was 2 and 8 with a horrible overall record. Sometimes continuity isnt a bad thing. No way what I wait 6 years for Frank Beamer's record. That would be crazy in today's era. All I am saying is I'm looking for a year over year improvement, and most importantly, I'm looking for steady recruiting. Eventually talent always wins out and coaching is so overrated (other than the acquisition of talent).

What sample size is too small then? Florida State lost to Jacksonville State in what's his name second year. Is that sample size large enough?

It's just dumb to overreact to wins.

Remind us all what Frank Beamer won at VT? That is your standard?

I suspect we won't see you post here in a couple weeks, at least under your current account name.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz is in Al Golden's 5th year already. We wanted Golden to win. He made it hard to root for him. Diaz simply doesn't have it. When coaches don't accept accountability unequivacally publicly, the bad things, keep happening. The players catch the vibe.
I don't know. I don't like coaches that slam players after an uninspiring win. That's not Manny. He learned under guys like Bobby Bowden and Mark richt. Just not a style to be a **** outwardly. I'd like to see what he said to the players privately.

Remind us all what Frank Beamer won at VT? That is your standard?

I suspect we won't see you post here in a couple weeks, at least under your current account name.
When he retired he was the winningest active coach and he had about six or seven conference championships. Not bad for a place where it is hard to recruit. You put him at Miami and those seven conference championships turn into national championships ... But no, let's fire coaches every two and three years and see if that's a way to build a program.

I'll keep posting. I'm a Miami fan. If he's loses games to teams he should not, maybe I'll change my mind. You are allowed to change your mind, you understand? I'm going to keep an eye on recruiting as well.

1. We still had a better team than gt, duke, fiu and la tech in 2019 so giving him a pass for four losses against clearly inferior teams is hilarious
2. there is no Improvement from last year to this year. That’s the point of everyone who is sick of manny

Advertisement
I don't know. I don't like coaches that slam players after an uninspiring win. That's not Manny. He learned under guys like Bobby Bowden and Mark richt. Just not a style to be a **** outwardly. I'd like to see what he said to the players privately.
I don't want him to slam players. I want him to take responsibility in the media. The players watch those things too. Saban use it differently. The players listen, they know when u are passing the buck for continuous problem. And don't think sometimes they wont feel the call was the problem and not them and sometimes they are right

When he retired he was the winningest active coach and he had about six or seven conference championships. Not bad for a place where it is hard to recruit. You put him at Miami and those seven conference championships turn into national championships ... But no, let's fire coaches every two and three years and see if that's a way to build a program.

I'll keep posting. I'm a Miami fan. If he's loses games to teams he should not, maybe I'll change my mind. You are allowed to change your mind, you understand? I'm going to keep an eye on recruiting as well.
How we look matters. How we looked against Bama matters, which is how u end up in a dog fight at home with App St

Missed most of the game yesterday because my mom fell and I had to drive up from our place in the Keys.

What I did see late was pretty uninspired. We seem to have regressed offensively and defensively we again had issues getting off the field on 3rd down.

Overall I agree with your premise. Put a mix of teams 10-40 on the field and anyone can beat anyone. We’re one of those teams.

Relieved not happy with the win. We’ll see what Michigan State brings.

Advertisement
Back