Where you from? / Origin of being a Canes fan

Advertisement
Dade made.
Broward raised.

Was always a Cane fan but loved the Dolphins (and Dan) more...until I became a Canes ball boy at age 12. That's when the Canes stole my heart forever.

Advertisement
How many ******* guys here from New Jersey?.......Me too. (Long Branch down the Shore, exit 105...before that 30 years in Morris County)

My family was from Miami. Dad attended UM in the late 50's. Had a cousin play on the Ted Hendricks teams and plenty of family attended the U. Followed the team since 1966.

Born in GA. I had an uncle that lived in Miami and was a big Miami fan. Went to visit one weekend and ended up going to my first game in the OB 1984 vs. Pitt (JJ’s 1st season). As a 12 year old boy, I probably spent more time staring at the girls in the “Daisy Dukes” than the dudes out there busting heads in the pads. But anyways, I was hooked by the “atmosphere” and Miami’s uniform color. I’ve been down with U every since.

I have a pretty interesting indoctrination. My dad was born in Brooklyn, NY but grew up in Miami. (Moved there before he was 1). He lived and grew up 2 blocks from campus and told me stories about sneaking into baseball games and stealing canoes that were chained in Lake Osceola.

I was born in September of 1984 and if you trace your numbers back correctly I was either conceived prior to or just after the clock hit double zero of the 1983 national championship. I had no choice from birth.

I played soccer growing up but always dilly dallied with football and in highschool I played. I walked on at UM after a year of Community College to get my grades up because I messed around too much in highschool. I love this team and this University until I die. GO CANES! See you guys this weekend!

Forgot to add I grew up in Ormond/Daytona Beach

Last edited:
Born in Miami Shores Hospital, grew up in Miramar and now live in Flagler Beach, Fl. Been going to games since 83, and like most of you....these Canes consume my life. Spent more time on twitter and message boards this past season then my own business...greatest addiction ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Born in the Bronx in 77. We moved to Kendall in 79. My father didn't have a college football team to root for so he started rooting for the Canes. He ended up coaching youth basketball and was Darren Handys and Randal Hills coach when they were very young. Darren was the biggest 8th grader my father ever saw..lol

Watched the Hail Flutie pass in person at the OB as a 13 year old with my BF and our our Dads, amongst many many games there as a youngin. Was a season ticket holder at Mark Light stadium and in the early 80s (via our Dads), most notably when UT came into town with Roger Clemens on the mound. Classic. UM student from 89-93.....such good times!!! Was at the 2002 (Jan) NC game against Nebraska. Was at the UM-Huskies game in 99 watching a young Ken Dorsey trying to make the comeback. Grew up in Kendall (Miami Sunset grad circa '89). All in for this team! Take care of business on Saturday against Clemson and then let it ride. GO CANES!!!

Born at Memorial raised in Lauderdale Lakes. Live in Navarre now. Fan since 79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Born and raised in North Miami. Moved away at 35 and now I live in Connecticut. Canes fan for as long as I can remember.

Born and raised in Paris (France)
Got a scholarship at UM and stayed rooting for the canes until I got my PhD
Taught there a couple years and gave free attendance to students the day after Thursday night games

My kids are a better version of me
They were born at Mercy Hospital, followed and attended games before they could walk
Have orange and green blood and attend the elementary school on the side of campus.
My 7 year old son lost his voice at the VT game this year.... way to make daddy proud

Advertisement
Born in Tennessee in the early 80s. I gravitated to pro sports first, and since this was before there were any pro teams, the notion of rooting for a local team was a foreign concept to me. So I cheered for teams that were on TV alot in the late 80s and early 90s (Pirates, Bulls, and Broncos).

My dad went to MTSU and grew up a Vanderbilt fan and didn't have the heart to force that on me. Mom went to LSU, but they weren't that great and she didn't care about sports. So like my pro teams, I picked who I saw on TV. However I spent most weekends as a kid playing outside. I discovered Miami because I always watched the bowl games on New Years with my dad, and the Canes were always there.

Im from small village in Kazakhstan called Zhavoronkova. I first learned of Miami Hurricanes football one day when I went next door to my neighbor Azamat Bagatov's house where he had VH and S player we would watch the same game over and over canes won every time great success!

Born and raised in Montgomery, Alabama. Became a cane fan when i was 11(02) been a loyal fan ever since.

Minnesota native here. First football game I ever watched as a kid and haven't missed a game since

Minnesota Cane here too. 1st year of college (1999) I drunk purchased a Bernie Kosar poster on eBay and hung it on my wall and told everybody (as a joke at the time) he is the best athlete ever. Then I started kind of becoming a bigger college football fan cuz the Vikes always break your heart - and started looking into the Canes and by 2000 I started watching every game. I became a die hard when we won in 01 and don't think I've missed more than a handful of games since. Went to the Canes basketball game last night in MN in all Canes gear. Traveled to see them only a couple times but I have always wanted to see them in Miami. Especially now with Hard Rock.

stylish-bernie-kosar-poster-and-best-ideas-of-showdawgs-cleveland-browns-collection-posters-2.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back