Where the **** is the CB recruiting?

I find it mad funny how at Miami people latch on to this coach at this position cant do this and cant do that. But at schools like Bama its Saban. I don't know what the reason we dont have more CBs committed but its Diaz job to make sure the roster is synchronized for years at each position. If we dont get them in recruiting we will hit the portal.

Advertisement
A pouncey coming here would be like a blades going to fsu. Tate is highly unlikely. We probably end up with brown
This I know. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try. Who knows, maybe they have and those kids just aren't even a little bit interested. At some point Rumph, **** Manny need to bring in a stud the can push the incumbent starters for a starting spot as a freshman. Maybe it's a pipe dream of mines but we finally started recruiting the DL well. We just need to extend that to the back end, especially the CBs.

I agree.

There's several local CB's I would've offered from the jump, I was posting on Dave Herard in May of 2018, he wound up signing with UVA & UVA has a very good top 20 Defense, Nick Howell is a good coach.

Definitely should've offered Ronald Delancy, just from a recruiting standpoint he would be a big help for us in landing other MNW prospect we're after.

There was also kids like Benjamin Onwuzo who signed with Minnesota, Jaheem Joseph with Northwestern, even Jamal Potts from Delray Beach.

The immediate retort will be "they all suck!" Okay, that's fine, but who do we have that's supposed to be so far ahead of them that we didn't even offer?

We literally only have one CB committed in this class, but like I said you're not really allowed to discuss that on here lol, that's why I'm just like fck it, bring in a JUCO & just find whoever we can find & wants in.
I mean I get what you’re saying but we can probably sign any one of those guys if we were to start pushing for them 3 days before signing day. Those are all low to mid 3 stars who are committed to wishy washy programs. I think the staff must have a plan. Maybe they want a guy who’s currently a safety at corner or maybe they just want to push for better guys before resorting to those guys. Because if the staff wanted any of those guys I’m sure they’d be committed.

Why Tf y’all only point the blame at rumph for with this staff’s overall defensive recruiting failures?

4 star juco jahvontae dean
4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert frierson
4 Star al blades
4 star dj ivey

4 star tecory couch (flipped from Michigan)
4 star Christian Williams (flipped from being a bama commit/LSU lean)

Truth of the matter is coach rumph HAS been bringing talent every recruiting class the last couple of years and new players develop every year within his group

But let some of you dumb mfs tell it, rumph completely fvcks up the cb room and misses on talent annually and signs bad Cb classes. Could it be better ? Of course but they have been pretty good recruiting wise at cb recently. In regards to this particular 2020 class I guess we will see what happens but the criticism in terms of db recruiting and a few other positions is appropriate here until proven otherwise this cycle. We will see how they finish up

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why Tf y’all only point the blame at rumph for with this staff’s overall defensive recruiting failures?

4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert frierson
4 Star al blades
4 star dj ivey

Truth of the matter is coach rumph HAS been bringing talent every recruiting class the last couple of years and new players develop every year within his group

But let some of you dumb mfs tell it, rumph completely fvcks up the cb room and misses on talent annually and signs bad Cb classes. Could it be better ? Of course but they have been pretty good recruiting wise at cb recently. In regards to this particular 2020 class I guess we will see what happens but the criticism in terms of db recruiting and a few other positions is appropriate here until proven otherwise. We will see how they finish up

Dont bring facts to this board it's like going on a three game winning streak the ones who post anti UM **** all day just slither away

This board seems to label rumph as a terrible recruiter and a great coach. In reality he’s probably neither of those things. Ok recruiter (has brought in a lot of talent but hasn’t brought in top tier guys) and good coach. No reason to fire a guy that’s doing his job.

I agree.

There's several local CB's I would've offered from the jump, I was posting on Dave Herard in May of 2018, he wound up signing with UVA & UVA has a very good top 20 Defense, Nick Howell is a good coach.

Definitely should've offered Ronald Delancy, just from a recruiting standpoint he would be a big help for us in landing other MNW prospect we're after.

There was also kids like Benjamin Onwuzo who signed with Minnesota, Jaheem Joseph with Northwestern, even Jamal Potts from Delray Beach.

The immediate retort will be "they all suck!" Okay, that's fine, but who do we have that's supposed to be so far ahead of them that we didn't even offer?

We literally only have one CB committed in this class, but like I said you're not really allowed to discuss that on here lol, that's why I'm just like fck it, bring in a JUCO & just find whoever we can find & wants in.
Why can't you talk corner recruiting? The only thing I've always said is it just isnt rumph. He has 2 guys ahead of him.

Advertisement
Aside from Jakorian Bennett the JUCO kid, it's basically just Davonte Brown & Tee Denson the former Pitt commit.

People will run to the "it's a down year in South Fla" excuse, but nearly every CB in South Fla for this class is committed to a P5 school. It's a down year, but P5 programs are still taking them.

You're not really allowed to question CB recruiting on this site though because people will immediately wage War with you as they perceive it as a slight to Rumph. Who is no doubt a terrific CB coach, but you simply can't speak on his recruiting or lack thereof.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore... Just find some CB's & sign'em up. But we def need a JUCO in this class who's has experience & will be ready day 1, because Clarke is a developmental guy 2 years away & whichever other prospect we get won't be able to step in play right away.

We just need some depth, the ship has sailed on finding any potential future starters in this class.
@Liberty City El I posted something very similar a few months ago. I just can't wrap my brain around the fact that we just don't seem to be able to recruit the CB position at a high level. This defense is aggressive and features a nasty front 4 that puts tremendous pressure on opposing QBs so it would seem like a given that good CBs would be interested in coming here but that isn't the case.

Did we drop Hodges? Do we have any shot with Kendall Dennis? This is extremely frustrating, I'm at a loss to explain it and for the record, I'm not buying the theory about Rumph having no personality being the reason for our trouble recruiting CBs. It may play a role but It can't be the only reason. We could use a couple of elite recruiters on this staff. It's great to have teachers on the staff but a well rounded staff needs both.

These things always play out the same. Some sky is falling dude starts a panic thread about this or that and four or five pages of hysteria, moping and hating on coach or player X ensues.

Then someone drops actual facts rebutting the hair on fire crowd and the thread dies a much needed death.

People on this site act like Rumphs coaching is irreplaceable.

This might be true. But then you end up with Stephen fields who was supposed to be an ace recruiter and solid TE coach and he is neither at this point. We might as well have kept Hartley if you ask me. You willing to take that risk right now? Program is at a turning point. Can’t afford to lose arguably the best position coach we have on staff when we are so close to taking a big step next year..

That said, as a long time defender of Rumph, I can’t defend his recruiting ability.

Our recruiting and especially defensive recruiting is cheeks. That’s what happened

Advertisement
Our recruiting and especially defensive recruiting is cheeks. That’s what happened

Our DE recruiting is anything but cheeks. LB and CB? Yeah, we swung and missed. But then again, the one factor people seem to not take into consideration is that this time a month ago, we were 3-4 and most people had left the program for dead. Lets not let a winning streak cloud our better judgment that we didn't give many recruits much to sell 30 days ago after that GT loss at home. Hence the position we are in now.

4 star Trajan bandy

4 star Gilbert frierson
4 Star al blades
4 star dj ivey

But let some of you dumb mfs tell it, rumph completely fvcks up the cb room and misses on talent annually and signs bad Cb classes. Could it be better ? Of course but they have been pretty good recruiting wise at cb recently. In regards to this particular 2020 class I guess we will see what happens but the criticism in terms of db recruiting and a few other positions is appropriate here until proven otherwise this cycle. We will see how they finish up

Dean was dropped by Bama
Bandy was coming here no matter what (and we offered way too late)

Frierson is at striker
Blades was coming here if Mickey Mouse was the coach
Ivey has not developed as well as expected (do not mention the 3 interceptions that fell right into his lap)

Couch was 145 pounds and a local kid. Easy flip.
Williams was dropped by Bama and not a take at LSU. Come on.

Also, can we please stop posting how good our corners are based on meaningless stats? Who is the best QB we have faced this year from a throwing perspective? Sam Howell? He torched us as a True Freshman. Imagine if we had to play Clemson or Bama or LSU, holy ****.

Conclusion: Rumph is a below average recruiter and an above average coach, but very replaceable. All concerns about him are valid.

Dean was dropped by Bama
Bandy was coming here no matter what (and we offered way too late)

Frierson is at striker
Blades was coming here if Mickey Mouse was the coach
Ivey has not developed as well as expected (do not mention the 3 interceptions that fell right into his lap)

Couch was 145 pounds and a local kid. Easy flip.
Williams was dropped by Bama and not a take at LSU. Come on.

Also, can we please stop posting how good our corners are based on meaningless stats? Who is the best QB we have faced this year from a throwing perspective? Sam Howell? He torched us as a True Freshman. Imagine if we had to play Clemson or Bama or LSU, holy ****.

Conclusion: Rumph is a below average recruiter and an above average coach, but very replaceable. All concerns about him are valid.
Moving goal posts already I see , never want to give anyone credit. Done with this bullsh*t.

“He was always coming here” , man shut that dumbsh*t up, we have had recent legacies not even end up here that were wanted so a recruiting win is a win no matter what and it’s asinine to try and discredit that. And you sound stupid as ****, ANY DB group would get torched by bama/Clemson/LSU receivers(Miami didn’t in 2018 when we allowed 140 yards vs them LSU passing but that was a different offense, same set of receivers though). Bama and LSU dbs were consistently torched when they played and both groups are littered with 5 and 4 star talent. So that’s a meaningless statement , everyone gets beat when facing talent like that.
Christian Williams ABSOLUTELY was a take for LSU, all of their writers thought he was going there and they even admitted raymond got beat out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Moving goal posts already I see , never want to give anyone credit. Done with this bullsh*t.

“He was always coming here” , man shut that dumbsh*t up, we have had recent legacies not even end up here that were wanted so a recruiting win is a win no matter what and it’s asinine to try and discredit that. And you sound stupid as ****, ANY DB group would get torched by bama/Clemson/LSU receivers(Miami didn’t in 2018 when we allowed 140 yards vs them passing but that was a different offense, same set do receivers though). Bama and LSU dbs were consistently torched when they played and both groups are littered with 5 and 4 star talent. So that’s a meaningless statement , everyone gets beat when facing talent like that.
Christian Williams ABSOLUTELY was a take for LSU, all of their writers thought he was going there and they even admitted raymond got beat out.

He's trolling, Brock. I no longer listen to any "fan" or poster who uses the "our defense isn't as good as our stats would lead you to believe because we haven't faced the top 5 offenses in the NCAA so our numbers are skewed" argument. People have been saying that **** for 3 years now and its old and tired.

WE PLAY WHO IS ON OUR SCHEDULE!! Nobody talks **** about other schools when they pad their stats against bad teams. Its only an indictment when we do it. Smh. Some "fanbase" we have.

He's trolling, Brock. I no longer listen to any "fan" or poster who uses the "our defense isn't as good as our stats would lead you to believe because we haven't faced the top 5 offenses in the NCAA so our numbers are skewed" argument. People have been saying that **** for 3 years now and its old and tired.

WE PLAY WHO IS ON OUR SCHEDULE!! Nobody talks **** about other schools when they pad their stats against bad teams. Its only an indictment when we do it. Smh. Some "fanbase" we have.
People act like these schools are playing Clemson, bama every week and it’s simply not the case

Aside from Jakorian Bennett the JUCO kid, it's basically just Davonte Brown & Tee Denson the former Pitt commit.

People will run to the "it's a down year in South Fla" excuse, but nearly every CB in South Fla for this class is committed to a P5 school. It's a down year, but P5 programs are still taking them.

You're not really allowed to question CB recruiting on this site though because people will immediately wage War with you as they perceive it as a slight to Rumph. Who is no doubt a terrific CB coach, but you simply can't speak on his recruiting or lack thereof.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore... Just find some CB's & sign'em up. But we def need a JUCO in this class who's has experience & will be ready day 1, because Clarke is a developmental guy 2 years away & whichever other prospect we get won't be able to step in play right away.

We just need some depth, the ship has sailed on finding any potential future starters in this class.
Tee Denson is Nice!!
If Rumph can close da deal with him we can cook.
He has nice size and he’s athletic... I really like his film !

Advertisement
Back