Where the **** is the CB recruiting?

I thought it was establish after not being able to land Tyson Campbell (even though it was evident before that after the Henderson debacle) that Rumph can't recruit. His "great coaching" is a by product of the pass rushing. Early in the season when we weren't getting a bunch of sacks or pressures our DBs looked lost and played like ***.

Anyways waiting for someone to blow smoke up my *** about how the DBs are playing better when (surprise) the DL especially with Greg Rou has been murdering OL as of late.
Yes, a great pass rush helps the DBs look good. However, Rumph played a major role in our Pass Defense ranking #1 in the nation last year. Some of his CBs (like Michael Jackson) were like 3-star recruits. Quality DL play or not, that is great coaching.

If you want to question his recruiting, perhaps there is some merit to that but Christian Williams was a big win last year (against very solid competition) and Te'Cory seems like he's going to be great. While he has to find ways to get it done at the highest level no matter what, he is competing on an uneven playing field on the recruiting trail.

RankTeam2018Last 3Last 1HomeAway2017
1Miami (FL)142.9140.073.0137.8146.6216.1
2E Michigan146.290.333.096.8181.4190.3
3Central Mich147.7178.0180.0133.4159.7177.3
4Michigan147.8253.7170.0124.7174.7150.1
5App State165.1195.0330.0160.0168.7219.1
6Miss State167.2172.0214.0196.3138.2188.0
7Bowling Grn172.9131.0151.0163.8180.5248.5
8California174.5145.028.0178.2170.8250.8
9Tulsa175.5178.7319.0214.2143.2263.9
10Arkansas St179.0183.7200.0155.4195.9243.0

Advertisement
I’ve been wondering the same thing. Hopefully we will get a JUCO kid and a transfer. Wish we got the transfer from LSU earlier in the year would’ve been huge

Advertisement
Do you understand the need for depth? I think Bandy comes back, but knowing our history of early departures, that's no guarantee.

If he left that would leave us with four returning scholarship CBs (two of which haven't gotten meaningful playing time) and a true freshman. You need quality depth because injuries happen. Five CBs on a roster simply isn't enough.

This isn't pessimism. It's concern about that position's depth and recruiting board.

It's certainly fair to ask these questions on a recruiting board.

Depth is important. But the defensive staff gets the best DBs on the field, regardless of position. We will have some combination of Hall, Bolden, Carter, Frierson, Ivey, and Blades on the field frequently next year. That's 6. We also have Couch, Williams, and Smith waiting in the wings. That's 9, plus however many others we sign this year. How many more guys do you want on the field?

Also, the knock against the current true freshman that they haven't gotten meaningful playing time is silly. 1) This is college football. You need to develop players in order to be successful. That's just how this works. 2) The additional recruits you are clamoring for will not have any more experience than Couch, Williams, and Smith. They will need to be developed, too.

I do want us to pick up the pace a bit but we have decent numbers in the backfield, some solid guys committed (especially Clark), a track record of developing guys, and several weeks to go. No reason to panic.

Lmao at this entire post. You clearly haven't been paying attention. I don't want to turn this thread into a conversation about Rumph's recruiting ability, even though that seems inevitable.

This is really a thread about our CB recruiting board. Who are we even recruiting at the position that's a viable option?
We have the juco kid bennet I believe and davontae brown and francois who could play corner

Yes, a great pass rush helps the DBs look good. However, Rumph played a major role in our Pass Defense ranking #1 in the nation last year. Some of his CBs (like Michael Jackson) were like 3-star recruits. Quality DL play or not, that is great coaching.

If you want to question his recruiting, perhaps there is some merit to that but Christian Williams was a big win last year (against very solid competition) and Te'Cory seems like he's going to be great. While he has to find ways to get it done at the highest level no matter what, he is competing on an uneven playing field on the recruiting trail.

RankTeam2018Last 3Last 1HomeAway2017
1Miami (FL)142.9140.073.0137.8146.6216.1
2E Michigan146.290.333.096.8181.4190.3
3Central Mich147.7178.0180.0133.4159.7177.3
4Michigan147.8253.7170.0124.7174.7150.1
5App State165.1195.0330.0160.0168.7219.1
6Miss State167.2172.0214.0196.3138.2188.0
7Bowling Grn172.9131.0151.0163.8180.5248.5
8California174.5145.028.0178.2170.8250.8
9Tulsa175.5178.7319.0214.2143.2263.9
10Arkansas St179.0183.7200.0155.4195.9243.0

Outside of the kid at UVA, Miami didn't play a QB much less an offense worth a shlt last year. I'm not sure Rumph has taught anyone in 4yrs how to turn around their head and locate the ball.

I'm sure ultimately he's a fine coach, but not really enough to overcome his lack of recruiting. For the bulk of the recruiting period - the staff/Rumph were more than happy to let Couch and Bandy to have gone to other schools. More lucked out that both kids love Miami and wanna be close to home, versus actually selling them in the recruiting trail.

Advertisement
I thought it was establish after not being able to land Tyson Campbell (even though it was evident before that after the Henderson debacle) that Rumph can't recruit. His "great coaching" is a by product of the pass rushing. Early in the season when we weren't getting a bunch of sacks or pressures our DBs looked lost and played like ***.

Anyways waiting for someone to blow smoke up my *** about how the DBs are playing better when (surprise) the DL especially with Greg Rou has been murdering OL as of late.
So, since the beginning of the year, every other position group has improved on this defense since the team meeting. However, the CBs are still trash & only benefit because the improved play of the line. They arent playing better themselves though.

Is this correct?

Aside from Jakorian Bennett the JUCO kid, it's basically just Davonte Brown & Tee Denson the former Pitt commit.

People will run to the "it's a down year in South Fla" excuse, but nearly every CB in South Fla for this class is committed to a P5 school. It's a down year, but P5 programs are still taking them.

You're not really allowed to question CB recruiting on this site though because people will immediately wage War with you as they perceive it as a slight to Rumph. Who is no doubt a terrific CB coach, but you simply can't speak on his recruiting or lack thereof.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore... Just find some CB's & sign'em up. But we def need a JUCO in this class who's has experience & will be ready day 1, because Clarke is a developmental guy 2 years away & whichever other prospect we get won't be able to step in play right away.

We just need some depth, the ship has sailed on finding any potential future starters in this class.

The ship has not sailed until after sining day. You have no idea as to what the staff has in mind.

My only guess is...

1 JC corner whoever commits out of 2 or 3 offers we have i like George the most

Brown and Denson

Francois maybe?

At least he’s been developing the guys he gets eventually it’ll pay off no?

Advertisement
So, since the beginning of the year, every other position group has improved on this defense since the team meeting. However, the CBs are still trash & only benefit because the improved play of the line. They arent playing better themselves though.

Is this correct?

That is incorrect.

Obviously there is some issues with recruiting but i think its deeper than just a position coach. We have had problems recruiting elite DBs for years now. Same thing with DT.

Advertisement
If Trajan Bandy stays, then I think they'll be fine at cb and/or db. But like others have stated, if they only recruit 1 developmental player. And the other(s) might be juco players. Bandy staying a 4th year I think would make the defense really one of the best - potentially next season. Bandy & Michael Jackson made up one of the best cb duo's; Along with Jaquan Johnson / Sheldrick Redwine. I think they should move Frierson back to primarily cb (At least get him re-adjusted to playing both cb & safety). He looks to be athletic enough to go back to his h.s. position.

And the front 7, one can argue might be better. Given the fact Rousseau still has less then 1 full college season on his resume, same with Silvera.

Obviously there is some issues with recruiting but i think its deeper than just a position coach. We have had problems recruiting elite DBs for years now. Same thing with DT.

its a combination. The staff has hard time identifying what they want which leads to late offers and scrambling.

Daran Branch decommitted bc his grandfather is ill. Lol yea ok. He just commited to a program that’s on probation, will have a new head coach in 2 years, and recently let go of their DC. SEC teams take our recruits just like some of our past coaches. They pay well.

We're looking at having six CBs on the roster next year. Where the **** are our CB prospects? Are we even recruiting anymore CBs?

CB prospects"
Damone Brown (think he ends up in this class)
Ron Williams juco (THE target imo)
Tee Denson
Brian George (Longshot, maybe not even on the board still))

Kids who maybe can play CB or versatile enough to play both:
Jakorian Bennett juice
Daemon Hill (no idea if still recruiting)
Jaiden Francois

Local kids who could get a late look
Gabe Taylor
Ronald Delancey

I have no idea why Hodges isn't in this class...It's a circus this time of every season with Rumph.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back