Where the **** is the CB recruiting?

Rumph literally went to therapy to figure out how to get high school athletes to like him.

The whole "Here's some money, go buy yourself a personality" insult is a joke because you can't actually buy yourself a personality. But our CB Coach tried to do just that. And we got dudes on this board talking about, "It's just because it's a down year." Just stop.

Advertisement
Hopefully if they get Francois back they will put him at corner. Seems to be the only saving grace to the CB class this year unfortunately

Because we have more 4 stars in the secondary than on any other unit on the team.

Because we had the #1 pass defense in the country last year, with only two 4 stars starting.

Because we have a corner with the 2nd lowest pass efficiency allowed in the country, and he's a true sophomore and our 3rd best corner.

Because we are the favorites for at least 2 more 4 star DBs, both of which have experience at corner.

Do you have actual reasons to panic or are you a blind pessimist?
Do you understand the need for depth? I think Bandy comes back, but knowing our history of early departures, that's no guarantee.

If he left that would leave us with four returning scholarship CBs (two of which haven't gotten meaningful playing time) and a true freshman. You need quality depth because injuries happen. Five CBs on a roster simply isn't enough.

This isn't pessimism. It's concern about that position's depth and recruiting board.

Yeah, this may be a "down" year, but at this point I'm questioning right are we offering every CB in-state with a P5 offer.

I see a couple CBs that I've not seen mentioned with us with P5 offers and I'm wondering why.
I agree.

There's several local CB's I would've offered from the jump, I was posting on Dave Herard in May of 2018, he wound up signing with UVA & UVA has a very good top 20 Defense, Nick Howell is a good coach.

Definitely should've offered Ronald Delancy, just from a recruiting standpoint he would be a big help for us in landing other MNW prospect we're after.

There was also kids like Benjamin Onwuzo who signed with Minnesota, Jaheem Joseph with Northwestern, even Jamal Potts from Delray Beach.

The immediate retort will be "they all suck!" Okay, that's fine, but who do we have that's supposed to be so far ahead of them that we didn't even offer?

We literally only have one CB committed in this class, but like I said you're not really allowed to discuss that on here lol, that's why I'm just like fck it, bring in a JUCO & just find whoever we can find & wants in.

Advertisement
Kids should be wanting to play in this System, but none of them do... is rumphs personality really that bland? We need to go after kids like Kendall Dennis or Ethan Pouncey they’ve been on campus.

Last edited:
Ok, cool. Your post was based on nothing. Thanks.

For example, you knew about Christian Williams last season? You knew Rumph was following him or had been having conversations with him? Exactly. Guys will decommitt that's a given between now and signing day from every school in America. Guys will have a great playoff run, all star games etc. Let it play out its early.

LCE,why do we need a ready to play JC cb in this class when we return every cb,all should be better next season.It seems to me last year was is when we should have brought in a JC cb that would have allowed both Blades and Ivey to slowly work their way in.
DEPTH.

If they get hurt, you want a guy that can come in & has real live experience & won't be learning on the fly.

I love our CB group as is, but we only have 5 playable Corners, that's extremely low numbers, we need at least 2 more that can contribute right away in the event of injury.

Advertisement
Hopefully Rumph pulls another rabbit out the hat like he did last year with Williams. This year has been a huge disappointment in CB recruiting. Why the **** did they drop Hodges if they didn’t have a solid back up plan in the works.

I agree.

There's several local CB's I would've offered from the jump, I was posting on Dave Herard in May of 2018, he wound up signing with UVA & UVA has a very good top 20 Defense, Nick Howell is a good coach.

Definitely should've offered Ronald Delancy, just from a recruiting standpoint he would be a big help for us in landing other MNW prospect we're after.

There was also kids like Benjamin Onwuzo who signed with Minnesota, Jaheem Joseph with Northwestern, even Jamal Potts from Delray Beach.

The immediate retort will be "they all suck!" Okay, that's fine, but who do we have that's supposed to be so far ahead of them that we didn't even offer?

We literally only have one CB committed in this class, but like I said you're not really allowed to discuss that on here lol, that's why I'm just like fck it, bring in a JUCO & just find whoever we can find & wants in.
I’m assuming there is no chance we try to make contact with Delancey? I agree that is a miss.

Hopefully Rumph pulls another rabbit out the hat like he did last year with Williams. This year has been a huge disappointment in CB recruiting. Why the **** did they drop Hodges if they didn’t have a solid back up plan in the works.

You dont know if there is a back up plan or not. Just chill we will be more than fine. Its early we will have plenty of CB's

Should have gone after rj delancey from the get. We most likely end up with davontae brown and marcus clarke both are projects as brown needs to put on weight and clarke has played mostly wr to this point. Not worried as much because since rumph has been our coach here we only rotate at most 4 CBS.

Advertisement
I heard a stat recently that something like 70% of high school prospects are now signing during the early signing period. So if we plan on getting on recruits late our options will be severely limited. That's why I'm questioning our CB board now.
Yeah o agree, I was just being a smartass for the record. I heard that stat last year. Plus I think it's even harder to get the good leftovers in December because every school concentrates on them.

Advertisement
DB, specifically CB recruiting has been an issue for a minute now. We can't get the elite guys because why in the **** would they pick us over Clemson, GA, UF, Bama and even FSU seems to get 3-4 or more every year. We sleep walk on the mid level guys then scramble at the end of the cycle.

If I was them I'd consider taking Pouncey's brother from the portal at WR to get the CB Pouncey. I'd do everything in my power to flip Tate from FSU. The Brown kid from AH get him on board. He has some tools to work with. I'm not sure who else is available at CB but we have to do better at that position in recruiting. Maybe someone will be available after the early signing period like Williams was last season. Well see what happens.

People on this site act like Rumphs coaching is irreplaceable.
Why would u fire him people get mad at him for his recruiting but the only guy he really lost was brian Edward's and that doesnt look like a bad thing now. Surtain never coming and Campbell was bags all day. Only thing u could say he fails recruitment wise is his back up plans

DB, specifically CB recruiting has been an issue for a minute now. We can't get the elite guys because why in the **** would they pick us over Clemson, GA, UF, Bama and even FSU seems to get 3-4 or more every year. We sleep walk on the mid level guys then scramble at the end of the cycle.

If I was them I'd consider taking Pouncey's brother from the portal at WR to get the CB Pouncey. I'd do everything in my power to flip Tate from FSU. The Brown kid from AH get him on board. He has some tools to work with. I'm not sure who else is available at CB but we have to do better at that position in recruiting. Maybe someone will be available after the early signing period like Williams was last season. Well see what happens.
A pouncey coming here would be like a blades going to fsu. Tate is highly unlikely. We probably end up with brown

Why would u fire him people get mad at him for his recruiting but the only guy he really lost was brian Edward's and that doesnt look like a bad thing now. Surtain never coming and Campbell was bags all day. Only thing u could say he fails recruitment wise is his back up plans
Lmao at this entire post. You clearly haven't been paying attention. I don't want to turn this thread into a conversation about Rumph's recruiting ability, even though that seems inevitable.

This is really a thread about our CB recruiting board. Who are we even recruiting at the position that's a viable option?

Advertisement
Back