Where is the love for our S&C program?

I think the physicality of the schedule isn't the same as it was earlier in the year. That OL we have wouldn't be able to stop what UF did if we played them again. They have improved but it's because of schedule as well as improvement....it's a mixture of both.

I look at it defensively too. Florida was a good test I thought like LSU was last year in the opener. LSU did push us around a bit last year. Florida had a rep for having a good ground game and we pretty much stifled it. Our run defense this year has been for the most part pretty stout which is a good indication we are not getting pushed around in the trenches.

Advertisement
I think the physicality of the schedule isn't the same as it was earlier in the year. That OL we have wouldn't be able to stop what UF did if we played them again. They have improved but it's because of schedule as well as improvement....it's a mixture of both.
Against UF physicality was not as much a problem as our Oline looking confused, being slow to react after the snap, leaving guys unblocked while double-teaming others, etc. Yes, we were outmatched physically as well, but that was the least of the issues. Since then the Oline has shown they can work together as a unit better, rather than a bunch of individuals just doing their own thing. They seem to understand their roles, and the offense, better. They don't look confused as frequently, where you have one of our players looking in one direction and not finding anyone to block, while a defender comes in untouched to the other side of him. There absolutely has been growth in the line's ability and understanding of the game. Additionally, they have gotten stronger as well.

Next year pretty much the entire two-deep will return, with a whole lot of experience, growth, and getting used to their teammates that they didn't have to start this year.

I think they'd do better not just because they've improve but bc Jarren has learn to get rid of the ball quicker. The line was horrible week 0 but Jarren didnt help. We gave up 10 sacks but 4 or 5 were on Jarren i think.
True. It was a whole lot of young, inexperienced players trying to learn at the same time. That leads to a lot of mistakes. But it also leads to what could become a very cohesive, strong unit in the future.

Advertisement
In regards to the S&C program. I want to see Gaynor get much stronger. Kid gets blown off the ball a lot.

Go Canes!

This would make sense expect Pittsburgh was the #1 team in the country for TFL and Sacks and we held them to how many?

True. It was a whole lot of young, inexperienced players trying to learn at the same time. That leads to a lot of mistakes. But it also leads to what could become a very cohesive, strong unit in the future.
Manny has said and done alot of things wrong this year but one thing he said that was right was after the UF game. He said that karma is a ***** and that those freshmen are gonna be monsters one day. I think they are progressing and its gonna be a fun year next year.

Advertisement
Manny has said and done alot of things wrong this year but one thing he said that was right was after the UF game. He said that karma is a ***** and that those freshmen are gonna be monsters one day. I think they are progressing and its gonna be a fun year next year.
True. People often point to other freshmen linemen doing well for other teams and claim that the UM linemen should be able to as well. Difference is in most of the other cases, there are experienced linemen lined up next to them helping to direct them, helping to clean up their mistakes. Our entire 2-deep other than Donaldson and Gaynor consists of freshmen and sophomores (with little or no experience). So when one messes up, it's not covered by the experienced guy next to him. It's one inexperienced guy next to another, next to another....all making mistakes. But they've shown growth as a unit, and the trial-by-fire they experienced this year will pay BIG dividends next year. Add to that a RS freshman QB that got his very first real playing time this year, behind that shaky line, and who has shown a LOT of growth over the year, and the offensive outlook for next year looks really good.

Against UF physicality was not as much a problem as our Oline looking confused, being slow to react after the snap, leaving guys unblocked while double-teaming others, etc. Yes, we were outmatched physically as well, but that was the least of the issues. Since then the Oline has shown they can work together as a unit better, rather than a bunch of individuals just doing their own thing. They seem to understand their roles, and the offense, better. They don't look confused as frequently, where you have one of our players looking in one direction and not finding anyone to block, while a defender comes in untouched to the other side of him. There absolutely has been growth in the line's ability and understanding of the game. Additionally, they have gotten stronger as well.

Next year pretty much the entire two-deep will return, with a whole lot of experience, growth, and getting used to their teammates that they didn't have to start this year.
I do believe there has been growth on the OL...also I have always been a believer in u do not have to recruit the stars at the TE position as well as OL.....u can find studs that get over looked at those positions and QB as well. We just need the staff that can find them and mold them

This would make sense expect Pittsburgh was the #1 team in the country for TFL and Sacks and we held them to how many?
Who did Pitt play leading up to us? I get it the stats say they were the best but if they played a different schedule would it really be the best? Our OL did play well that game I just thought Pitt was over rated just like any team we play in the coastal....I have zero respect for coastal teams most of the time....it's why we all get upset when we lose to one.

Advertisement
Who did Pitt play leading up to us? I get it the stats say they were the best but if they played a different schedule would it really be the best? Our OL did play well that game I just thought Pitt was over rated just like any team we play in the coastal....I have zero respect for coastal teams most of the time....it's why we all get upset when we lose to one.

6 games doesn't count?

OK

Before they played us, Pitt played Virginia, Ohio, Penn State, UCF, Delaware, Duke, and Syracuse.

For perspective, at that same point Alabama had played Duke, New Mexico State, South Carolina, Southern Missississippi, Mississippi, Texas A&M, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Honestly, not much of a difference in level of competition.

Advertisement
I remember when our S&C was garbage and our guys was soft. We in the trenches banging now. Ain't nobody getting pushed around. Our guys don't look sloppy they look lean and strong. Big shout out to David Feeley and crew

Strength & conditioning has been improved ever since Swasey got fired. (And he’s now serving under Butch at FIU-alert for Butch fans!). I still don’t think that Miami’s S&C is particularly good.

Strength & conditioning has been improved ever since Swasey got fired. (And he’s now serving under Butch at FIU-alert for Butch fans!). I still don’t think that Miami’s S&C is particularly good.

All ok. Is there something you've seen were missing? Tired on the field, team looks weak?

Nah I think the oline has certainly improved. UFs dline numbers are heavily skewed from the matchup against us. We were able to run pretty good against. But pass pro has definitely improved. Think we was struggling with CMU..the teams we played recently are certainly better than them

You’re basically admitting that we’ve “improved” from really bad games we’ve played earlier this season. So what?

Yeah, when we struggled against CMU and lost to GT, it was hard for things to not get better from there. Some people seriously want to compliment Manny because of that.

Well conditioned and improved strength across the board IMO. S&C is one area this season I haven't seen a glaring concern.

Advertisement
Back