Where is Ed Reed at?

Me being an individual who understands my accomplishments weren't possible without a particular teacher who took interest in me far before sports I'd simply like to say I appreciate the contribution. I personally think the direction of our world has taken a drastic shift in the last two generations based in large part because of social media,the lack of parenting and teachers feeling neglected to the extent disassociate from the youth...
I appreciate that, and I could not agree more with this post.

Advertisement
He's talking about a physical version of it. Reality is some people learn different from others. Us old heads like something tangible we can hold onto and map out. Now everything is digital here and not everyone can learn that way.
no one uses paper anymore. It’s antiquated. Watch hard knocks, t eh rye assigned iPads now. I don’t even have paper. Everything is paperless In my profession and it is way easier

Picard-reading.gif

Advertisement
Ed can definitely be DB coach from Atl and zoom in for practices. I doubt he is tech savvy enough to work in google meet

no one uses paper anymore. It’s antiquated. Watch hard knocks, t eh rye assigned iPads now. I don’t even have paper. Everything is paperless In my profession and it is way easier
Nah. Not true. iPad is the preferred norm especially in the NFL because they tried to account for all forms of access obviously for the purpose of secrecy etc. College is nowhere near as secretive. They do however have a budget the NFL has no part of. Paper is certainly not the norm however it's readily available at most spots.

Advertisement
We were talking about this yesterday in my office and how we write out things with a pen and it helps us learn it.
Absolutely, haven't once taken classroom/meeting notes on a laptop in school or in the professional world. I’m fairly computer savvy, electronics are a useful and necessary organizational tool (and many things in my profession are done exclusively on the computer) but to learn/absorb the information it’s pen and pad. Happy to have the freedom to operate that way.

No need for that last bit, man. I legitimately appreciate your perspective.

I understand your point that different people learn differently. In another life I was a teacher, but thankfully I got out before this shift into e-learning. I just think these young kids have been raised to learn on these digital formats. But I'm sure there's still a handful that don't like it.

I can say with absolute certainty that working on a tablet doesn't work for one of my kids. When we were quarantined during the pandemic, the tablet was fine for the older boy 9, while the 7 year old we had to ask for paper. Even to this day, he does most everything (now 8) on paper and we've had to request that.

He can use a tablet, computer, and any electronic. For whatever reason, learning digitally just doesn't stick with him. Having done assignments with both, I have no idea why anyone would want to got the Ipad tablet route.

Right now they have actually pulled all the kids tablets back in the elementary school as many parents have been complaining. They are assessing the entire system and there's a big school board meeting coming up soon.

I'm personally against the **** things, for various reasons. One of the biggest complaints is the writing aspect of it. That's another discussion though.

Advertisement
We were talking about this yesterday in my office and how we write out things with a pen and it helps us learn it.
thats the only way I can learn. i usually got my best grades doing that, but because i tend to be lazy, I didnt always do it.

Absolutely, haven't once taken classroom/meeting notes on a laptop in school or in the professional world. I’m fairly computer savvy, electronics are a useful and necessary organizational tool (and many things in my profession are done exclusively on the computer) but to learn/absorb the information it’s pen and pad. Happy to have the freedom to operate that way.
I never take paper or even pen with me anywhere. all laptop or tablet for me. im much more efficient typing than I am writing.

I have a confession. I prefer A4 paper to 8 1/2 x 11.

That said, I don't really use either anymore.

Advertisement
I never take paper or even pen with me anywhere. all laptop or tablet for me. im much more efficient typing than I am writing.
Absolutely fair, I type a **** of a lot quicker than I write. That being said, the knowledge sinks in for me far better when I write it as opposed to type it; don’t know if it’s measurable but that’s what works for me. As far as education is concerned, it’s great that the technological option is available for kids, I hope that both methods persist in conjunction and the kids are able utilize which best suits them (and parents continue to encourage the ability for the student to make that choice).

Absolutely fair, I type a **** of a lot quicker than I write. That being said, the knowledge sinks in for me far better when I write it as opposed to type it; don’t know if it’s measurable but that’s what works for me. As far as education is concerned, it’s great that the technological option is available for kids, I hope that both methods persist in conjunction and the kids are able utilize which best suits them (and parents continue to encourage the ability for the student to make that choice).

there have been studies that have proven that and used to be the case for me going back to undergrad and HS when taking notes. grad school made it impossible to rely on paper and pen

Advertisement
Back