Where do you guys think the 2019 recruiting class will rank?

Yea it is crazy. Go on 247 and play around with it a little. We would have to get guys like wright, haselwood, sanders, dent, thomas to finish there. Its unrealistic.

Not saying top 5 is realistic, but I will point out simply adding guys to our current class does not take into account a possible class bump when guys like Crowley and Brooks tear it up this season.

Advertisement
Class Average in 2015: 86.4
Class Average in 2019: 89.0

That 2015 class was god awful. Fines, Knowles, Milo, Henley, King, Sherriefs, Mahoney, Loftus, Gordinier. Lots of wasted scholarships on JAGs. Don't see that in this class, maybe 3-5 "projects", but the rest will be ball players.

It was top heavy for sure. The good was great and the bad was pathetic.

Top 10 would be good at this rate IMO. We have a few too many guys who we should've waited on IMO. They can contribute here, but at the same time we could have pushed for them in the fall and probably still could have gotten them. I expect 12-13 like many have said.

11 plus wins is an equal dream. You win like that kids will flip. Gotta win. Plain and simple. It’s not crazy at all to finish 5-7 if we finish ACC champs.

It's not only about winning. Look at schools like TAMU. They went 7-6 last year and currently got the #2 class. Or LSU. 9-4, #4 class with two 5* guys. Even Michigan: 8-5, #5 class. Look at Georgia last year, hadn't really won much but they got 7 5*. At the end of the day things like bags, loyalty to home, etc. will change any advantage winning has. We could have been in the playoffs and kids like TC would still have left. Winning isn't the answer to all our problems here.

Edit: To add to this, look at Clemson, they get lots of elite players but never rank top 5 or something. That's what we should be doing: going for elite players in positions of need and not looking at overall class rank. Once you hit a certain level of success (which we haven't hit yet since I think we need to be in the conversation consistently for a few years), it won't matter how much we win because kids will come. Winning is important, but I don't think an 11 or 12 win season means we will all of a sudden start landing the 5* kids we want.

Last edited:
This RIGHT HERE, tells me I want evaluations of players that want it rather than lazy ones and star chasing.

Ain’t gotta look any further than our own conference to realize that. Get the right players, not the right rankings.

FSU
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 8th 10-4
2011 2nd 9-4
2012 4th 12-2
2013 11th 14-0 NAT CHAMP G
2014 4th 13-1
2015 3rd 10-3
2016 3rd 10-3
2017 6th 7-6

Clemson
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 27th 6-7
2011 10th 10-4
2012 20th 11-2
2013 15th 11-2
2014 16th 10-3
2015 9th 14-1 NAT CHAMP G
2016 11th 14-1 NCG
2017 16th 12-2 NCG
They also didnt get into NC contention until they hit on a QB; same with FSU.
Clemson can do that because they identified the right coaches and kept them on payroll for 5+ years. Do you think we have a Chad Morris or Brett Veneables on staff? If not, we need to be working at either acquiring that caliber of coach or acquiring better players.

Advertisement
This RIGHT HERE, tells me I want evaluations of players that want it rather than lazy ones and star chasing.

Ain’t gotta look any further than our own conference to realize that. Get the right players, not the right rankings.

FSU
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 8th 10-4
2011 2nd 9-4
2012 4th 12-2
2013 11th 14-0 NAT CHAMP G
2014 4th 13-1
2015 3rd 10-3
2016 3rd 10-3
2017 6th 7-6

Clemson
Year Class Rank Finish
2010 27th 6-7
2011 10th 10-4
2012 20th 11-2
2013 15th 11-2
2014 16th 10-3
2015 9th 14-1 NAT CHAMP G
2016 11th 14-1 NCG
2017 16th 12-2 NCG

FSU signed 41 blue chips in three years before their national title.
Clemson signed 31 blue chips in three years before their national title, including Deshaun Watson.

For comparison, Miami has signed 34 the last 3 years, 15 of them last year. I don't think we are far off talent wise after the 2018 class, but we are missing that alpha dog at QB the other two had (Winston and Watson).

FSU signed 41 blue chips in three years before their national title.
Clemson signed 31 blue chips in three years before their national title, including Deshaun Watson.

For comparison, Miami has signed 34 the last 3 years, 15 of them last year. I don't think we are far off talent wise after the 2018 class, but we are missing that alpha dog at QB the other two had (Winston and Watson).
Beautiful response my dude. I think (hope, pray! lol) Jarren is that dog but we will see.

They also didnt get into NC contention until they hit on a QB; same with FSU.
Clemson can do that because they identified the right coaches and kept them on payroll for 5+ years. Do you think we have a Chad Morris or Brett Veneables on staff? If not, we need to be working at either acquiring that caliber of coach or acquiring better players.
I think we do. The fact that we are a top 10 defense since we change staffs says that to me.

Advertisement
Top 10? We haven't even been top 25. What stats are you using?
My bad you're right, we were only 28th and 12th last year. I got a bit excited. I 'm thinking more of a graphic that I have seen frequently that shows our rankings in havoc stats (Sacks, turnovers, TFL, etc) all being top 10. But The point is that he has our defense playing at a ery high level. And thats with players he or this staff didn't recruit for the most part.

Miami’s class will rank 10 spots lower than it would if Richt would loosen up and drop a bag or too.

2016: Miami ranked 9th overall in yards/per play (4.75) allowed

2017: Miami ranked 12th overall in yards/per play (4.77) allowed.

I would anticipate Miami's ranking in the traditional total defensive measurements to improve as the offense improves and the defense is on the field less. But even if they don't these measurements are not necessarily descriptive of the overall performance of the defense.

Why Rate Stats are Better than Totals

It's not only about winning. Look at schools like TAMU. They went 7-6 last year and currently got the #2 class. Or LSU. 9-4, #4 class with two 5* guys. Even Michigan: 8-5, #5 class. Look at Georgia last year, hadn't really won much but they got 7 5*. At the end of the day things like bags, loyalty to home, etc. will change any advantage winning has. We could have been in the playoffs and kids like TC would still have left. Winning isn't the answer to all our problems here.

Edit: To add to this, look at Clemson, they get lots of elite players but never rank top 5 or something. That's what we should be doing: going for elite players in positions of need and not looking at overall class rank. Once you hit a certain level of success (which we haven't hit yet since I think we need to be in the conversation consistently for a few years), it won't matter how much we win because kids will come. Winning is important, but I don't think an 11 or 12 win season means we will all of a sudden start landing the 5* kids we want.

You get kids to come to Miami when you win. See what happened last year. It’s only going to snowball with another big season. Then it will be impossible for other teams to negative recruit. 2 seasons in a row means UM is truly back. With winning, new facilities, and being in Miami they will come.

Advertisement
15-8 range is realistic and our current commits should get bumps, I guess you could compare it to the 2015 class but with less dead weight and more quality/potential, but this is one of those classes that is setting us up for a monster 2020 class

You get kids to come to Miami when you win. See what happened last year. It’s only going to snowball with another big season. Then it will be impossible for other teams to negative recruit. 2 seasons in a row means UM is truly back. With winning, new facilities, and being in Miami they will come.

I appreciate your optimism friend. I would love for you to be right and make me eat crow.

We'll be 11th-14th. Not ideal but certainly not bad.

Advertisement
I'm hoping top between 6-10 but that's because I think we are gonna take a large and several of our 3 star recruits will end up as 4 stars. I am also hoping FSU finishes outside the top 10. I don't think UF finishes higher than 15. Whats your opinion?

Looking at some of these rankings, Miami commits keep dropping keeping majority at 3 stars SO IF nothing changes, Miami should definitely finish in the top 15!!

Advertisement
Back