Where are we really at today as a program?....

Advertisement
Until the whole staff is filled with top notch coaches and recruiters we will be a slightly above average team. Making the changes Manny has made this year will get us out of the cellar and take the heat off him and James but will only get us so far.
agreeCMd/Blake limited ceiling,,,,, so tired of CMD' s nonsense ban the chain period

Agree with this, I've been beat down by this program the last 15+ years and have no faith in Diaz' ability to turn it around. I like the moves he's made this offseason, although I'd like a change at DC, but I need to see some real improvement on the field before I believe we're close to being back.
do not drink the kool aid..... OL is still awful. worst coach and staff in d-1

For the last almost 10 years we have had the talent to get 10 wins every year but the school keeps hiring terrible coaches.

Coker, Shannon, Golden, and, Diaz have come thing in common: their short time at Miami was the absolute peak of their career. They will all be known for doing nothing of note after Miami. Richts time here proved how much he was overhyped at Georgia.

The culture is a mess which is half on the players and half on the coaches. Modern kids and especially the ones we recruit dont prioritize winning. Football just isn't important to them. Alot of them are lazy. Alot are entitled.

Coaches are also to blame for their God-awful evaluations and recruiting. They set the culture which right now prioritizes looking good over playing well. The chains and rings. The social media brand manager. We end up with these 3 and 4 star players and a top rated class, but no other school wanted these "top rated" kids for a reason. Look at how many busts are on the team now. This is why we have to leave florida for certain positions like O-line, linebacker, tight end, and QB. 99% of Florida kids dont have it upstairs, and the ones who do go to the best schools.

Every failed regime has also mismanaged one side of the game schematically. The recent obvious ones were golden and the donofrio defense. Richt and his son and the offense. Enos and the offense, and lowkey the Diaz defense. Until we can master both sides together we will continue to suck.

Clemson is the ultimate team to emulate right now. Swinney slowly brought them up to greatness. It starts with proper talent evaluations and creating a winning culture. They bring in winners. Alphas. But they are SMART. The age of winning on speed and size are gone. To win now you need to be smart.

They take these kids; some who are highly ranked and some who arent, and coach them up so EFFECTIVELY. But again, these kids are capable of learning in the first place. They are smart. And they WANT to learn. They get them on an effective S&C program which uses steroids (as they've been caught countless times).

Then they are put in a scheme that suits them. Their coaches adapt to the strengths of their players and they mask their players weaknesses. This is how they start 0-stars and walkons who compete against 5-stars.

They get every single drop out of squeezing the orange to make juice. They get the most there possibly is out of their players while our players underachieve at Miami and then get drafted on potential, and develop after a few years of actual learning in the NFL.

If we had actual coaches right now, we would easily go 11-1 or 12-0 and score some points against clemson in the ACCCG, but we dont.
really like the Comment on PED's we have been **** poor in terms of explosive strength on LOS since Moffet went to National Champions LSU.... heck now days its common practice and part of most S&C programs also change player(recruiting) profile to many JT Thomas like guys not enough DJ Dallas and S.Quaterman type players

It's not just a good offense; our defense have gotten busted wide open to when they play an offense w/ a pulse.
agree, team statistics in NCAA D-1 are so misleading due to what conference and what schedule you play.
anytime we play a top flight O line we get crushed Whisky(2) Clemson, and LSU....
also we are the metals softest group in the world.....

Advertisement
Have been thinking about it lately. What are your thoughts? Is it more of the same? Has MD turned the corner with Lashlee & the spread. Has our moment ended forever? I’m not looking to start a debate thread but would like some honest, NO emotion, opinions of what we are & what lies ahead.
No better than FIU

Advertisement
Strictly from a roster standpoint there are positive signs pointing to the possibility that we could be starting to turn the corner.

For the first time in a long time, the majority of our scholarship players have redshirted compared to just two years ago, when only about 1/3rd of the roster had redshirted. This bodes well for player development and ultimately should lead to a more mature football team. A look at the projected 2020 two-deep illustrates this. We have very few seniors (9 by my count) and twice as many redshirt sophomores and juniors. Furthermore, those juniors who haven't redshirted are all starters from the top 10 rated 2018 class. So in terms of talent, experience and depth the roster is as good as it's been in a long time.

A middling P5.

We're Cal. Or West Virginia. Or Nebraska. Or UCLA. Or ND during the Weis years.

Nothing this program does is proactive, forward-looking or ahead of the curve; it's entirely reactive.

This team routinely finds ways to lose, when past years' glory teams always found the will to win. And everyone around the program expects the shine of lots of NFL players and those glory years from the 80s, 90s and 2000s to cover the terminal illness the program has become.

We're stage 3 cancer. Not quite bad yet, but almost to the point where future plans don't make a lot of sense based on the reality of the situation.

Strictly from a roster standpoint there are positive signs pointing to the possibility that we could be starting to turn the corner.

For the first time in a long time, the majority of our scholarship players have redshirted compared to just two years ago, when only about 1/3rd of the roster had redshirted. This bodes well for player development and ultimately should lead to a more mature football team. A look at the projected 2020 two-deep illustrates this. We have very few seniors (9 by my count) and twice as many redshirt sophomores and juniors. Furthermore, those juniors who haven't redshirted are all starters from the top 10 rated 2018 class. So in terms of talent, experience and depth the roster is as good as it's been in a long time.

Do we really have a favorable roster situation? Or is our outlook good simply because the Coastal couldn't get any worse?

Advertisement
Do we really have a favorable roster situation? Or is our outlook good simply because the Coastal couldn't get any worse?

I think this roster compares favorably with the 2004 roster, except we obviously don't have a Frank Gore or an Eric Winston.

agree, team statistics in NCAA D-1 are so misleading due to what conference and what schedule you play.
anytime we play a top flight O line we get crushed Whisky(2) Clemson, and LSU....
also we are the metals softest group in the world.....

Just read something:

*4 of our 7 losses this year was our defense giving up the lead in the 4th qtr.*

I remember back in 2013, Coach No'D kept harping that his def was a top 15 in Total Def. Anyone w/ eyes could see we weren't a top 15 def. The numbers were inflated by playing a soft schedule.

FFW to 2019, and I see this staph doing the same thing:
-We played a schedule that had a combined win/loss of 111-68 (.620 win pct and this includes one FCS school, and two G5 schools not including our bowl game).
-We played one team all year that ended up having 10+ wins
-We played one FCS and three G5 teams
-Out of the nine P5 teams we played, four had regular season records of .500 or below

So when I try to tell fans that numbers do lie, this is what I mean. So it's not just an offensive problem....we legit have a culture problem w/ lack of winning and underachieving

Last edited:
Advertisement
Have been thinking about it lately. What are your thoughts? Is it more of the same? Has MD turned the corner with Lashlee & the spread. Has our moment ended forever? I’m not looking to start a debate thread but would like some honest, NO emotion, opinions of what we are & what lies ahead.

I've mentioned this in a few other threads that unless you're over 50, you have no idea where this program came from. Before '83, Miami was a team other schools scheduled as a cupcake; much like scheduling an FBS school nowadays. How do I know? I went to every home game but 3 from '69 to '80.
Schnelly caught the CFB world by surprise when he came on board. The CFB world has changed dramatically since then. We can't catch anyone by surprise anymore. It'll take a visionary like Schnelly to get us back to "the good old days." Whether or not Manny can do it is yet to be determined.
I am just under, but I feel ya.

On paper yes on the field won't get that answer until mid season next fall.by then we will all know the answer.

Mark Richt's teams quit
Randy Shannon's teams quit
Al Golden's teams quit
Larry Coker's teams quit

It's not a Manny problem. It's a Miami problem. Now, it's Manny's job to figure out how to change that trend. But it's not easy. For some reason, when these kids lose a few games, they go in the tank. Been the blueprint for a couple decades now.

It’s a bad head coach problem.

Richt could have been the answer 10 years earlier.

The rest of those guys were bums with fatal flaws. I’m rooting for Manny to turn it around, but his body language under adversity tells a story none of us want to hear.

All it will take is the right head coach, but betting on this administration to hire him is like quitting your job to buy Powerball tickets.

Advertisement
Back