Votes: 36 19.6%
  • This century

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Who said I was really a fan?

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
I live in NE Pa and it's Penn State or Notre Dame. F that. My favorite player I remember gravitating to was Warren Sapp. I do remember the late 80's yes too. The swag we'll play anyone anytime, and beat the **** out of you too. Had me hooked.

Dad and my middle brother are diehard Gators.

Uncle and my oldest brother are diehard Noles.

If any of y'all got a contrarian younger sibling, y'know the deal.

Saw us beat the University of Tampa in a thriller at the original Tampa Stadium back in '74.

That was that.

First football game I ever attended live was the U vs Auburn they were the War Eagles then and had a big ole eagle mascot that freaked us kids out. But the Canes had the Mad Stork Ted Hendricks and as a 9 year old I thought that was cool. The Canes had winning seasons in 1966 and 67 and I was hooked. It was rough sledding after that but there were a few greats in between like Chuck Foreman, OJ Anderson, Silky Sullivan, Burgess Owens, Tony Christiani, Dennis Harrah, Gary Dunn, Eddie Edwards, and my neighbor John Turner. To this day I think it was Lou Saban who brought the Canes back because he really focused on recruiting locally which Schnellenberger ran with and the rest is history.

I'm confused what you mean by being packed. I spent plenty of time at UCF in the early '00's. When I was there they had only developed like 1/3 of the land. I'd think you'd want packed in college... closer proximity to the coeds. Regardless, I liked it there -- everything was new.

Separately, I spent a week at FSU in the middle of summer and half the **** buildings didn't have air conditioning. It felt like there were hardly any trees/landscaping on campus, the buildings were all old and decrepit and the surrounding area suuuuucked baaalllllss. I'm surprised you didn't get into USF if you got into FSU.

I had a buddy that was in the same situation. We were both die-hard 'Canes since we were little and he ended up at FSU. Said he was in all orange and green at the home games. Way to represent!
I could’ve gotten in, but from what I remember they asked for my official transcripts when I already sent in unofficial ones that were more than up-to-par. At the time I basically already made up my mind that I was going to FSU and when USF sent that email I basically said “alright that’s cool I’m not going to y’all’s school anyways”

Props to your friend, I was at Doak in the student section for the 2019 game and it was not the best environment for a UM fan I’ll say that. Thank God I found a couple fellow Canes in my section that I bonded with lol

Advertisement
I could’ve gotten in, but from what I remember they asked for my official transcripts when I already sent in unofficial ones that were more than up-to-par. At the time I basically already made up my mind that I was going to FSU and when USF sent that email I basically said “alright that’s cool I’m not going to y’all’s school anyways”

Props to your friend, I was at Doak in the student section for the 2019 game and it was not the best environment for a UM fan I’ll say that. Thank God I found a couple fellow Canes in my section that I bonded with lol

Yeah I can feel that. I probably would've done the same if a school jerked me around. Regardless of the hate, good on you for doing what you needed to do and getting an education. I just hope you can get the f**k out of Tally on the hurry.

As much as I love my 'Canes, I'm not sure I'd want to watch an entire game as a loner in rival territory. But there isn't much more satisfying than beating a rival in their house.

Watching the pregame for the Cotton Bowl and hearing about the guy running his mouth in the newspaper. And then that absolute masterpiece of what you do when someone talks some trash. I was in. Watching Francesa cry at halftime about how shameful it was made it even better.

Advertisement
Fanatic as a young kid in the 80s and went to multiple games in the orange bowl. Still have my 1987 national championship season shirt with us v. Oklahoma on the front.

as a kid nickname for Cortez Kennedy was blub blub. Loved tiger Clark.

Still remember being on a road trip at a restaurant in Sarasota when we came back to beat Michigan.

Still remember being in 4th grade with gator and seminole fans and while they did the chomp and chop, I invented a hurricane signal for us. There was no ‘u’ back then. So I invented a wind sign with my hands, instead. Lol.

remember being devastated when Teague caught up to Lamar. Didn’t seem real.

loss to Washington and end of streak felt like a death, too.

loved Rusty Medearis.

While selling programs to raise $ for Cutler Ridge Soccer team, was able to watch Jim Kelly lead the Canes to a comeback win against somebody. Been a fan ever since, even while attending FSU from 86-90.

I started out a Louisville fan until I was like 5 or 6, then the back-to-back Nattys completely convert me. Hester is my fav Cane of all time so I followed him closely but It was the beginning of the Shannon era that I started watching every game. Those are without a doubt my fav Cane teams of all time; and IMO, the last teams to play with that Cane swag. Like yeah we sucked but we had legit superstars and played with an edge.

Advertisement
My first Canes/OB memories was watching Santana Moss return punts 1998/1999. The rest of the game I probably spent more time looking for Sebastian than the actual game (6 years old). Started paying attention to the games in 2000. Remember sitting next to Bryant McKinnie during the UM awards ceremony right before they headed out to whip Nebraska in the Rose Bowl. At 8 years old I was unaware that people can be that massive. Haven’t missed a home game since 1999. I think it hit me how much the U means to me when we were at the Fiesta Bowl in January 2003. Parents and other family members have graduated/played at the U since the early 1970s. Was there from 2010-2014. My dad still tells me about attending the Gator Flop game as a kid.

Edit: Apparently during a Spring Practice when I was 4-5 years old we were on the sideline and I ran on the field and Butch called me out. Wish I could remember that haha.

Advertisement
I always LIKED the Canes but I was a die-hard Miami Dolphins/Dan Marino fan. They always came first in my heart.

Until about 1992.
My dad was managing the Flanigans in Coconut Grove. The coaching staff would come to the bar occasionally and that's when my pops met Equipment Manager Bobby Revilla. They got to know each other and eventually Bobby asked my dad if his son would be interested in being a Miami Hurricanes ball boy.
After that I spent 3 seasons as a Miami Hurricane's ball boy and I was die-hard Orange/Green from that day.
ballboy.png

‘98 I was 6. I was raised GA, everyone in my family is huge UGA fans and I thought Sebastian was a cooler mascot than UGA. ‘01 happened and I was totally hooked on UM football.

The night I had seats behind the Miami bench and saw Miami with Jim Kelly play and beat the University of Houston in the Astrodome.

Last edited:
First football game I ever attended live was the U vs Auburn they were the War Eagles then and had a big ole eagle mascot that freaked us kids out. But the Canes had the Mad Stork Ted Hendricks and as a 9 year old I thought that was cool. The Canes had winning seasons in 1966 and 67 and I was hooked. It was rough sledding after that but there were a few greats in between like Chuck Foreman, OJ Anderson, Silky Sullivan, Burgess Owens, Tony Christiani, Dennis Harrah, Gary Dunn, Eddie Edwards, and my neighbor John Turner. To this day I think it was Lou Saban who brought the Canes back because he really focused on recruiting locally which Schnellenberger ran with and the rest is history.
I was at that game, if memory serves Ted Hendricks intercepted a lateral to score a TD which was the only score of the game as UM wins 7-0

Advertisement
Back