• The Nineties

Votes: 36 19.6%
  • This century

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Who said I was really a fan?

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Early 70's - watching Chuck Foreman. He was amazing for 7 or 8 plays then would just fumble the ball without being touched. He would fumble the ball at least once every game by bouncing it off his own knee or hip. He was unbelievably talented (the original spin move guy) and a blast to watch then he would just drop it. We were always well thats just Chuck being Chuck. The start of the love / hate relationship. But that was our teams in a nutshell back then - great and awful all at the same time.
I Became Their #1 super fan back then because I always thought that everybody hated them - They need someone - anyone to like them! So that became me.
We were laughable then the 80's came and we all of a sudden became the 3F's. Free - Feared - Fun. The rest is history.
By the way I named my daughter Hurricane - Now thats a true Super Fan! Or maybe there is something wrong with me - kind of 50/50 on it.

Advertisement
I hear you, but the maudes won't let it get out of hand. OT will either get moved if they're acceptable or locked if they aren't.
It’s the off-season and a couple other things in my opinion. We’re almost in April and have 1 commit with no talk of any recruiting smoke. Plus, there’s very little coming out of spring ball.

I'm not sure encouraging more threads is the best move when people will start a thread about literally anything here, and most of them are garbage.

But @305to954 has a point here... this one has been done several times that I can remember, and I haven't been on here as long as many others.
I think it’s a dementia test to see who‘s dropping off...

Everybody refers to the 80's as the defining time for Canes football for good reason, but when did you become a fan?

You need more specificity on "the Eighties".

Schnells. JJ. Erickson. Each coach and style inspired new fans.

I became a fan during the Schnellenberger Era.

Advertisement
I can tell which player turned me into a Miami fan-Jim Kelly.
I grew up in Ann Arbor, went to and watched a lot of Michigan football growing up and was bored out of my mind watching them run the ball 45 times per game, and win or lose 16-10. The games were boring and I was watching a lot more pro football than college as a result.
Then one day in 1982 I watched Miami play and they looked and played like a pro team; pro sets and pro plays. And Miami threw the ball without fear. I was hooked on Miami football that Saturday as an 11 year old in Ann Arbor.

And then of course the 1983 championship game cemented my love for the Canes.

Advertisement
I lived in Miami in the 70's and the bus drove past Greentree. I started watching shortly thereafter.

I'll just cut and paste this for the next thread.

Remember listening to Canes vs Florida on a old clock radio. Highsmith,Warren Williams,The Blades bro. etc. great time to be a Canes.

Saw on TV the 1984 victory over Nebraska. Then, coincidentally, accepted a job transfer to Coral Gables in 1985. Devoted fan since that time even though I relocated again several times. Still loyal.

Advertisement
Family moved to Miami from Colombia in 1980. My earliest memories of Canes games come from the 83 season. Been a fan since no matter where I live or what school I went to.

Moved to Miami in June of '83.... Can't say I knew much of Miami football ... Being from NY I knew more of the Northeast teams and popular ones on TV ( USC, UCLA, OK, ND , Texas etc..)... Seeing how the city came alive during the season and then the explosion after the win against NEB made me a fan... That was really cool to be part of... I was 13 at the time so it left an impression...

The golden era - Did an exchange year in Miami. Coming from europe, I didn't have a clue about football.

Saw a game on tv (appeared to be a canes game) Did a ton of research on the game and immediately fell in love with the game itself and the local canes. Went to my first game against UNC with a guy I went to school with. Got some super cheap tickets close to the field and I was hooked. Had the sunburn of a lifetime, sitting in the glaring sun at the old Sun Life stadium with no shade but that didn't make my experience any less special.

Advertisement
My first Hurricane game was on Halloween, Kelly against Blackledge and #1 ranked Penn State. UM won and I was hooked!!

I used to use them randomly in ncaa 99 I believe. Loved the logo also used to love that the game said where your players got drafted in what round and pick. I became a big time follower in 08 after I saw espn talking about the recruiting class. I was hooked ever since. I'm such a fan of the U that if they say u have to trade away the Giants Yankees and knicks titles and they will be cellar dwellers forever and Miami becomes elite forever I'll take the trade.

Advertisement
Back