• The Nineties

Votes: 36 19.6%
  • This century

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Who said I was really a fan?

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I became a fan in 1926 , I was at the Rollins university vs Miami game and I was hooked. Howard Buck is one of the underrated greats , I remember that 7-0 win like it was yesterday
I think I played in that game, but I don’t remember for sure.

Advertisement
Canes win over #1 Penn State, 17-14, in 1981. Kelly threw an 80-yard to Larry Brodsky for a 14-0 lead. Lions missed four chip shot FGs, and turned the ball over twice on their last two drives, a fumble recovery by Tony Chickillo at UM 25 with just over 2 minutes left and a last gasp pick by Fred Marion.

I was a casual CFB fan growing up in Tampa, and rooted for UM, and sort of for Florida and FSU unless they played Miami. UF was average, and FSU was coming into their own under Bowden.

The 1981 Penn State game cemented my being a Cane fan, and doomed the little brothers to rivals.

Other plays with deep roots are Danny Miller’s 55-yard FG to beat UF, and Schnelly kicking a FG with seconds left up 28-7 at UF.

Last edited:
I became a fan in 1926 , I was at the Rollins university vs Miami game and I was hooked. Howard Buck is one of the underrated greats , I remember that 7-0 win like it was yesterday
**** Crib U pushing like a buck 20.....surprised u know how to use the tech of today. Impressed

Advertisement
Same here, Kelly made a huge difference. They had a great team then and got ripped off his junior year and still ended up #8. Some very terrible phantom calls against Texas and Mississippi bringing back TDs from what I can remember. They should have gone undefeated that year. That injury he had his senior killed it for the team and a Heisman Trophy. The next they won their first National Championship.
It wouldn't have mattered if UM went undefeated in 81....We were on Probation and wouldn't have been allowed to play in a NC.....Ive talked to Tony Fitzpatrick about the Miss and Texas games multiple times, and he said the officiating was a mess...

Advertisement
Im from GA and I started paying attention to the canes around 1985ish... 86. I was visiting relatives and went to my first real game around 87-88 as a 14 year old. My mind was blown. The vibe was totally different from anything I had seen at any game in GA. I saw some of the prettiest females I’d ever seen in my young life, wearing tight and small clothes😂🤣😂. Then the *** kickin I witnessed on the field was enough for me to say, “yeah this is my team.”

BIRTH.

Every Saturday it was what I watched from a toddler until now.

My old man use to work and go to the OB. I was a youngin but even remember the probation days of late 90s. Remember the Bama db hawkin and taking the ball away from our wr. Remember losing to East Carolina i might have been 9.

Was a huge fan of Rohan Marley as a kid, the Magic Benton's etc.

I think my dad brought a few of the guys when i was in elementary school as well to speak to the youth...Twan Russell,Lamar Thomas, Randal Hill, Brett Perriman etc while growing up

Can remember parking in 5 dollar parki parki in ppl's yards n walking into the ob...and buying AREPA and sausage dogs...also peeing in the restrooms while they shook after big plays and drained water.

I have never really liked any other college teams....I may have had some fondness for some HBCU teams because my old man graduated from 1 and i attended one..but its always been all about the u.

Last edited:
My parents both went to UM, and they had season tickets going back to the ‘50s. I grew up in the 70s and 80s in the Gables. The first games I remember were from the Otis Anderson era. I wore 47 in high school because I was an OJ fan. When the UM went to the Peach Bowl in ’80, we went because it was such an unusual thing. What followed in the ‘80s was mind blowing to everyone who had suffered through the ‘70s. I have been a Canes fan ever since.

Advertisement
@caneinorlando has daguerreotypes of himself with @Cribby and @TheMatador at that first game.
9a545e3fe434b197d911c6f0bd610955.jpg

Advertisement
Dead serious question... why not UCF?

I was a 'Cane since a little kid too and could've gotten paid to go to UF, but couldn't live with myself, so UCF was the only other in-state option I'd consider.

Tally is uhhh... man.... it's something.
I agree with you, but UCF’s campus is huge and it’s PAAAAACKED. I wanted the college experience and didn’t get into USF (I was more than qualified but they were being a-holes during the app process) so I said “fvck it i’ll go to FSU” and it was a solid experience

I used to use them randomly in ncaa 99 I believe. Loved the logo also used to love that the game said where your players got drafted in what round and pick. I became a big time follower in 08 after I saw espn talking about the recruiting class. I was hooked ever since. I'm such a fan of the U that if they say u have to trade away the Giants Yankees and knicks titles and they will be cellar dwellers forever and Miami becomes elite forever I'll take the trade.
Mf I’d hope so give me a Bama type run I want all the ships lmfaooo

I agree with you, but UCF’s campus is huge and it’s PAAAAACKED. I wanted the college experience and didn’t get into USF (I was more than qualified but they were being a-holes during the app process) so I said “fvck it i’ll go to FSU” and it was a solid experience

I'm confused what you mean by being packed. I spent plenty of time at UCF in the early '00's. When I was there they had only developed like 1/3 of the land. I'd think you'd want packed in college... closer proximity to the coeds. Regardless, I liked it there -- everything was new.

Separately, I spent a week at FSU in the middle of summer and half the **** buildings didn't have air conditioning. It felt like there were hardly any trees/landscaping on campus, the buildings were all old and decrepit and the surrounding area suuuuucked baaalllllss. I'm surprised you didn't get into USF if you got into FSU.

I had a buddy that was in the same situation. We were both die-hard 'Canes since we were little and he ended up at FSU. Said he was in all orange and green at the home games. Way to represent!

Advertisement
Back