Votes: 36 19.6%
  • This century

Votes: 34 18.5%
  • Who said I was really a fan?

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Advertisement
1966. My dad was a UGA alum and he got tickets for the UM vs #1 UGA through the local UGA booster club. We were sitting in the visitor section and here I am with my waving my UM pendant and cheering on the Canes at the top of my lungs. What did I know, I'm just a kid.
Anyway Canes defeat #1 UGA 7-6 and I become a Canes fan for life. I can only assume my Dad's intention was to indoctrinate me to be a UGA fan, but the opposite happened.

My parents were season tickets before I was born (82’) so I guess I was born into this. I was raised going to the OB since I was in diapers and attending Canes games were some of my favorite activities as a kid. In the 90’s, my father played a significant role in a major corporate sponsorship partnership with the Canes Football program which his marketing campaign is visible (in the endzone) in many Canes highlights so we had some purks that made the experience more magical. Good times.

1988 orange bowl vs Oklahoma, one of the earliest football games I remember watching and the canes were the dopest thing my young eyes had ever seen, been a fan ever since..Feel bad for you youngins that never really saw the canes dominate, poor ******** lol

Advertisement
Born in 99 so I haven’t gotten to attend the great games like some of you guys but been going to home games since 2008.

Round about 2016. Wanted to watch college football and realized that I just had to have a favourite team.

Found out there was a documentary about the Miami Hurricanes known as "The U". Watched it, fell in love with it about 10 minutes in and that love hasnt stopped since.

Not gonna lie, I am a bit jealous about the ones who witnessed Miami during their golden years under Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson and later Davis and Coker (till 2002, lol). When you hear stories about the Orange Bowl, and when you see the highlights on YouTube... the hit by Sean Taylor on P.K. Sam, the long screen pass to McGahee, the KR by Hester, 3rd and 25 miles to Thrill Hill... even watching those highlights gives me goosebumps.

I looked for something different in the football landscape and I found it. Lets hope that we can witness championship football at the U again. Go Canes!

My parents were season tickets before I was born (82’) so I guess I was born into this. I was raised going to the OB since I was in diapers and attending Canes games were some of my favorite activities as a kid. In the 90’s, my father played a significant role in a major corporate sponsorship partnership with the Canes Football program which his marketing campaign is visible (in the endzone) in many Canes highlights so we had some purks that made the experience more magical. Good times.
Are you saying Flipper was your father?

Advertisement
What ****** Central American country are you from?

AdmirableTangibleAntarcticgiantpetrel-size_restricted.gif

Advertisement
I believe it was Jan of 1981 and I was a die hard football junkie at 13 years old. I watched any game I could. I had moved down to Miami with my family from Orlando the year before. So it was during Jan 1981 that I turned on the TV curious as to which football game was on. It was the VT Hokies vs The University of Miami Hurricanes. I thought to myself wow this is cool I've never seen the local college team play. I immediately noticed the U on the helmets and thought to myself how different that was. I thought that the helmet should have had UM on it but whatever I was 13. I fell in love with the team immediately. I loved Jim Kelly from the get and he had a great game. I believe Kelly was the MVP. I began following them and watched whenever I could.

When Kelly left I was concerned about who our QB would be. I watched that 1st game of the 1983 season vs the hated gator in Bernie Kosar's first start. It was a bummer but I remember thinking to myself towards the end of the game that despite the loss that Kosar had potential to be very good. Needless to say we ran the table and that Nebraska game for the Natty was just unreal. I was a fan for life!

When my dad took me to my first game ever in 91. It was at the OB against the SD Aztecs. Was a night game. Crowd was amazing. Was an utterly and completely surreal experience! GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Round about 2016. Wanted to watch college football and realized that I just had to have a favourite team.

Found out there was a documentary about the Miami Hurricanes known as "The U". Watched it, fell in love with it about 10 minutes in and that love hasnt stopped since.

Not gonna lie, I am a bit jealous about the ones who witnessed Miami during their golden years under Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson and later Davis and Coker (till 2002, lol). When you hear stories about the Orange Bowl, and when you see the highlights on YouTube... the hit by Sean Taylor on P.K. Sam, the long screen pass to McGahee, the KR by Hester, 3rd and 25 miles to Thrill Hill... even watching those highlights gives me goosebumps.

I looked for something different in the football landscape and I found it. Lets hope that we can witness championship football at the U again. Go Canes!

Great story Herr Hogan, but I dont think we really appreciated that era as we should have, we assumed it would go on forever.

Playing the #1 team on the road? No problem!
Behind in the 4th quarter? No problem!
Starter hurt just before a big game? No problem!
The whole world and media hates us? No problem!

We (at least me) should have appreciated it more.

Great story Herr Hogan, but I dont think we really appreciated that era as we should have, we assumed it would go on forever.

Playing the #1 team on the road? No problem!
Behind in the 4th quarter? No problem!
Starter hurt just before a big game? No problem!
The whole world and media hates us? No problem!

We (at least me) should have appreciated it more.
Oh, what we took for granted.

Advertisement
Back