What's next?

View as article
Coaching issue: apparently a lot of people turned Mario down. I don't know whether this is true, but his relentless work ethic could either be a help or a hindrance here. If he does can Gattis, just hope he can attract the right coaching talent. If he can get wise old heads to buy in, I just don't get why any coaches can't see the upside? Remember Gattis was a Broyles Award winner... we thought the dude could walk on water. Watch out for McNamara in the Transfer Portal being able to give Gattis new life...

Advertisement
Coaching issue: apparently a lot of people turned Mario down. I don't know whether this is true, but his relentless work ethic could either be a help or a hindrance here. If he does can Gattis, just hope he can attract the right coaching talent. If he can get wise old heads to buy in, I just don't get why any coaches can't see the upside? Remember Gattis was a Broyles Award winner... we thought the dude could walk on water. Watch out for McNamara in the Transfer Portal being able to give Gattis new life...
This is such an awful take for a number of reasons

Mario was swinging for the fences with Dorsey et el. He was willing to wait to get them. Some of his backups wouldn't wait with him, so he scrambled for Gattis. It happens. ... Gattis is gone. And there is zero reason to believe Mario will face a similar situation this turn of the crank.

Mario was swinging for the fences with Dorsey et el. He was willing to wait to get them. Some of his backups wouldn't wait with him, so he scrambled for Gattis. It happens. ... Gattis is gone. And there is zero reason to believe Mario will face a similar situation this turn of the crank.
That makes a lot of sense. I hope the Gattis being gone is right: I just saw McNamara and had flashbacks to HC's that wouldn't adjust...

Advertisement
let's not confuse james williams the person from the football player.

from a football player perceptive the amount of selfish plays, lack of consistency and errors this year was apparent. he can get better. there is nothing bad about it. going for knock outs instead of simply making a tackle is selfish. it happened all year.

you can have dog in you but be smart. i know this because i have watched guys like jaquan johnson.

is it better than being a zombie? sure but everything is.

Yes but there is nothing riskier than hiring someone with absolutely no playcalling experience. Just because he comes from a successful system doesn’t mean he’ll succeed.
Plenty of first time play-callers have had success.
From Joe Brady to Liam Coen to our own Ken Dorsey or Ben Johnson in the NFL.
That's not grounds for disqualification imo. It's desired, sure, but if a candidate has the credentials and acumen... it can work.

There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

Are we trying to beat UNC and Florida State or are we trying to beat Clemson or are we trying to beat Georgia?

The shift in mindset is fine, but the reality is, the closer you get to Lashlee's offense, the farther away you get from beating the latter, while getting closer to the former.

Getting away from Gattis talk for a second...even in a perfect world where the kind of offense Mario wants to run was called and developed by a real pro...it still requires the Jimmy n Joes. You still need a big offensive line, you still need to create explosive plays downfield. Our current incarnation of 'Canes football has about as bad of an OL as you'll ever see (especially one that has played so much together) that is also pretty small. We also have no one on the roster that is really explosive without having a major wart to their game (ex: Knighton and his ability to hold on to the football).

If we are going to build a foundation for future success, it can't be short sighted to just go from the bottom of the middle class of the ACC to the upper middle class of the ACC (being able to beat UNC and Florida State)...why are we investing hundreds of millions into the program with that as the goal.

The type of offense Miami wants to run under Cristobal and the goal they have for the player types they are recruiting are sound and if all goes as planned can get us to be a top of the ACC. Abruptly shifting to something closer to Lashlee's offense might help in the short term (I do not believe it would have helped this year...I still fail to see who was replacing Rambo and to a lesser extent Harley...and in this fantasy world we also don't have an injured QB and an offensive line about to start walk-ons)...but intermediate and long term, it gives us a ceiling (as we've seen...we were capped at 7, 8 wins with that offense).

If you want to sell me on that as a stopgap...sure. But the players you're recruiting for this shock therapy and the players you're recruiting to build a foundation for future success to beat the Clemson's and Georgia's of the world are not a perfect circle if we are making this into a venn diagram.

Advertisement
There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
Thanks for the write up, but I disagree only with the “no job is safe” mojo, Canes fans have been hearing that for 20 years and only to watch the new coach roll out the same players that got his predecessor fired.

James Williams more than likely leads the team in personal fouls and Mario keeps trotting James right back out there.….We’ see

Are we trying to beat UNC and Florida State or are we trying to beat Clemson or are we trying to beat Georgia?

The shift in mindset is fine, but the reality is, the closer you get to Lashlee's offense, the farther away you get from beating the latter, while getting closer to the former.

Getting away from Gattis talk for a second...even in a perfect world where the kind of offense Mario wants to run was called and developed by a real pro...it still requires the Jimmy n Joes. You still need a big offensive line, you still need to create explosive plays downfield. Our current incarnation of 'Canes football has about as bad of an OL as you'll ever see (especially one that has played so much together) that is also pretty small. We also have no one on the roster that is really explosive without having a major wart to their game (ex: Knighton and his ability to hold on to the football).

If we are going to build a foundation for future success, it can't be short sighted to just go from the bottom of the middle class of the ACC to the upper middle class of the ACC (being able to beat UNC and Florida State)...why are we investing hundreds of millions into the program with that as the goal.

The type of offense Miami wants to run under Cristobal and the goal they have for the player types they are recruiting are sound and if all goes as planmed can get us to be a top of the ACC team. Abruptly shifting to something closer to Lashlee's offense might help in the short term (I do not believe it would have helped this year...I still fail to see who was replacing Rambo and to a lesser extent Harley...and in this fantasy world we also don't have an injured QB and an offensive line about to start walk-ons)...but intermediate and long term, it gives us a ceiling (as we've seen...we were capped at 7, 8 wins with that offense).
This is a very thoughtful, well thought out.....yet bad take imo.

Last edited:
Advertisement
And not only were they pushing the D-Line in the LBs lap, but the opposing O-Lines also opened multiple holes vs our D-Line. And then you add the fact that you don't know what gap the RB is going to hit, that makes the back 7's job harder...**** looked like Golden's D.

So Scott Frost out for sure then. :ROFLMAO:

Frost was a train wreck at Nebraska but I admittedly didn't follow how he did offensively there. He comes from the Bill Walsh and Chip Kelly trees, so I wouldn't call him a Big 10 OC, though. And he was impressive at Oregon and UCF. Never even thought about him as an option. Would defer to others on fit.

Advertisement
Frost was a train wreck at Nebraska but I admittedly didn't follow how he did offensively there. He comes from the Bill Walsh and Chip Kelly trees, so I wouldn't call him a Big 10 OC, though. And he was impressive at Oregon and UCF. Never even thought about him as an option. Would defer to others on fit.
Nah. F*ck Scott Frost. On principle alone.

Advertisement
Back