What's next?

View as article
How many of those years did he win the PAC12?

Twice, including the shortened 2020 season where they went 4-3, placed second in the division but 1st place Washington could not go due to Covid infections

Last edited:
Advertisement
Twice, including the shortened 2020 season where they went 4-3, placed second in the division but Washington could not go due to Covid infections

Oregon Ducks (Pac-12 Conference) (2017–2021)
2017Oregon0–10–04th (North)L Las Vegas
2018Oregon9–45–44th (North)W Redbox
2019Oregon12–28–11st (North)W Rose55
2020Oregon4–33–22nd (North)L Fiesta
2021Oregon10–37–21st (North)Alamo[a]2122
Oregon:35–13 (.729)23–9 (.719)

If you focus on the bolded i'm not sure how you can say that 1 particular loss each season supports the broad belief his teams "play behind their talent". I reject your reasoning but reserve judgement as to why @DMoney would hold that belief.

Thanks.

2018 Ranked Oregon loses to unranked Arizona 44-15

2019 Ranked Oregon loses to unranked Arizona State 31-28

2020 Ranked Oregon loses to unranked Oregon State 41-38 and Ranked Oregon loses to unranked Cal 21-17 the following week

2021 Ranked Oregon loses to unranked Stanford 31-24

There were also several losses vs lower ranked opponents but no need to go overkill
major worry about CMC, he needs a very good OC/DC and has to find an assistant coach who keeps team motivated and keeps all the oars in the water....... still believe we should look at someone like a B.Davis as a consigliere to run a tight ship.
something is not working in CMC's approach......

There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.
Some of this is still TBD, but Mario has already made a lot of the changes identified in this post.

We went with the "shock therapy" approach on offense and hired an Air-Raid guy. We've done a better job with impact transfer kids before spring. We have five blue-chip transfers already, compared to last year when we had zero before spring (and one all year). We've also gotten a lot younger and hungrier on the coaching staff. Jason Taylor, who was specifically mentioned in the OP, is a major addition.

One concern I still have- the OC did not bring any of his own guys. Will there be chemistry in practicing like an Ai-Raid offense? It's more than just concepts.

Time will tell how everything plays out, but Mario is clearly trying to correct some mistakes.

Advertisement
There are a lot of people saying they don’t care what happens this offseason. But don’t kid yourselves. If you’re spending valuable time on here after this travesty of a season, you still have some hope. I’ve posted my thoughts on the season, which you can find here. This post is about what’s next.

Shock therapy on offense- Everybody I talk to around the program is acting like Gattis is gone. They acknowledge that we need a significant change in identity, but note that Lashlee struggled against good teams and put his defense in a bad spot with his pace. Maybe so, but my personal opinion is that we need an extreme shift in mindset. No half measures. Manny’s upfield style was an extreme change from D’Onofrio. We went from 84th in scoring defense to 13th immediately. Kuligowski’s “stop the run on the way to the quarterback” style was an extreme change from Golden’s two-gap philosophy. We went from 88th to 23rd in sacks immediately, and multiple DL emerged as NFL players. Lashlee’s pace-and-space offense was an extreme change from Enos’s pro-style attack. We went from 99th to 24th in scoring offense immediately.

This program needs a jump start. We don’t need to be perfect right out of the gate. But we need to be much, much different.

No quick fixes on personnel- While I think we need quick fixes schematically, the opposite is true in terms of personnel. Manny was coaching for his job after the FIU loss, so he took some questionable character kids and some players with inflated recruiting rankings. If Mario wants to truly change the culture, he needs to be disciplined with only taking football-focused players. Use your support staff to investigate kids like an NFL personnel department. Mario has the job security that Manny never had. No need for shortcuts.

Do what you’re paid to do. Mario did not get $8 million a year for his gameday chops or Xs and Os acumen. He needs to be the best coach in the country for the next three weeks. We are deeply in the mix for stars such as Samson Okunlola and Derek Williams, and quietly battling for more elite guys. I’m worried that Mario’s teams will always play behind their talent. If that’s the case, he needs to recruit to the moon to perform with the stars.

Win college free agency. Miami only signed one portal player ranked in the Top 50 last year, and he made a huge impact (Mesidor). That needs to change this year. Teams like USC, FSU, Alabama and FSU signed filet mignon from the Portal. Miami needs to do the same. When I spoke to someone at Miami, he told me “no job is safe.” I expect additions at RB, 2 WRs, 1-2 OL, 1-2 DL, a LB, a S and a CB. While the coaches can’t communicate with players not in the Portal, I’m told that high-level RBs, LBs, OL and even QBs have already reached out to third parties to express interest in Miami.

Turn James Williams into an impact player. I admit to having a soft spot for James Williams. First, he overcame unimaginable family tragedy to get to college. Second, he cares about football. Sitting behind the sideline on Saturday, the entire team looked lifeless. JW was still engaged like the Energizer Bunny. Finally, the guy gets emotional hate from overreacting fans. You have people talking about pushing him out. Come on. He’s our leading tackler on top of being a core special teamer. If he went in the Portal, a good team would snatch him up in a second.

With that said, he had an average year at safety and is not playing anywhere near a five-star level. Some of that he needs to correct himself. He needs to cut out the brainless, selfish penalties and exercise discipline as a tackler. But he’s also out of position. He’ll always struggle to break down in space at 6’5 and lacks the pure speed of a defensive back. He needs to play the Gilbert Frierson SAM role from 2020 and then move inside to LB on third downs (as he did this year). He’s better than Frierson in every way. One area where he’s underutilized is as a blitzer. Frierson had 9 TFLs and 2 sacks in 2020. JW had 1 TFL and 0 sacks this year. He can cause problems with his length alone.

Now, if JW continues to insist on being a pure safety and wants to leave, that’s on him. But we have a better roster with him on it.

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.

This might be the most important offseason in Miami history. Mario lost most of his goodwill with five straight home losses. Time to make some meaningful adjustments and build this thing to last.

Prescient:

Build a more sustainable coaching staff. As I discussed in my “What went wrong” thread, the All-Star coaching model was a failure. We need a staff built on chemistry and hunger. Let the OC bring most of his guys. Overall, I hope we shift from a staff of name-brand old guys to a staff of young guys and reclamation projects with something to prove. They need to embrace the pace that Mario pushes as a recruiter. One guy I know they love is Jason Taylor. If he gets into a full-time role, he can make a huge impact.”

I missed this is the first time around. Well done.

Some of this is still TBD, but Mario has already made a lot of the changes identified in this post.

We went with the "shock therapy" approach on offense and hired an Air-Raid guy. We've done a better job with impact transfer kids before spring. We have five blue-chip transfers already, compared to last year when we had zero before spring (and one all year). We've also gotten a lot younger and hungrier on the coaching staff. Jason Taylor, who was specifically mentioned in the OP, is a major addition.

One concern I still have- the OC did not bring any of his own guys. Will there be chemistry in practicing like an Ai-Raid offense? It's more than just concepts.

Time will tell how everything plays out, but Mario is clearly trying to correct some mistakes.

Pretty solid points, @DMoney . I think that Dawson didn't bring everyone with him because some of those guys are still loyal to Holgorsen. This seems to be "par for the course" when a guy steps out into a role where he's trying to run his own shop, kinda like Riley going to Clemson from TCU. I do think Dawson brought one off-field guy, but I'm sure you're the right guy to confirm/deny on that question.

I'm pretty impressed with the moves thus far. Even on Beard, where there were some other guys I liked more, I can certainly see a path forward if Beard does for Broward (brings his legend status to recruiting) what Harris can do for Dade, then we'll be in pretty solid shape.

Not today, but when you can opine on what Beard is doing with the couple of Portal WRs who are still considering UM, as well as a couple of the 2024 WRs who might consider us (more) soon, that would be great.

James Williams still TBD but you pretty much nailed it on every other bullet point. Or maybe I should say Mario nailed it if he was trying to follow your blueprint. Good stuff

I Don't personally know but maybe mario and Dawson both worked together to get the RB and WR coach.

Advertisement
Does anyone familiar with the Guidry defense know what kind of role might be there for James Williams? I haven't gotten to watching film yet.

I think the OC not bringing his guys is a bit of an overreaction/reach. Caveat, yes of course he did not "bring" anyone with him, however:

Mirabal - will never go anywhere - lets just get this out of the way first
Field - if Dawson didn't want him I doubt he'd be here, I'd assume an OK from Dawson on this one
Harris - do we KNOW that Dawson had no say here?
Beard - do we KNOW that Dawson had no say here either?

Where you're saying "Dawson didn't bring any of his own guys" you could say that's its likely 2 of the 4 offensive coaches were signed off by him, and an argument made 3/4 were approved by him.

Coaching circles are tight, just because he hasn't worked with Field, Harris or Beard doesn't mean he's not aware of their coaching and recruiting abilities and approved of them to teach his units.

@DMoney was all over it, but make no mistake, the single greatest factor in being elite again is signing better players.

Start off with guys like:

Kelly
Skinner
Bissanthe
Citizen

Then sign:

Mauigoa
Samson O.
Ray Ray
Robby W.
Fletcher
Johnson
Bain
Wayne
Brown
Aguire

If you follow that up with:

Smith
Trader
At least 2 elite DT's

We'll now you're in the money

Advertisement

Believe the biggest difference in the "OC not bringing his own guys" this time around vs 2021 ... is that the current OC is not the insufferable douche ******* that alienated every staffer that was here in 2021. Plus Dawson was at least on board and most likely signing off on (and participating in interviews) of both the RB and WR candidates. Normal human beings can get along, perhaps with some degree of getting familiar with one another. Mario just happened to totally get shocked in 2021 by Gattis turning out to be a totally abnormal "Plick" (Chinese pronunciation of a commonly used American derogatory term).

Advertisement
Back